Deal is a small seaside town in Kent, located eight miles north of dover and nine miles south of Thanet. The town has engulfed the nearby villages of Walmer, Sholden and Kingsdown. It has a population of just under 30,000.
Deal was named a "limb port" of the cinque ports (specifically, Sandwich) in 1278. Deal has a rich maritime history. It was an important military and shipping port. The Royal Marines set up barracks in Deal in the late 18th century, and in 1930, the Royal Navy School of music moved to Deal. In 1989, there was a tragic IRA terrorist attack directed at the school of music, killing 11 bandsmen.
In recent years, the barracks have been converted into housing, and Deal no longer houses military. It has since become a popular seaside destination visited by many English, Dutch, Belgians, French and Germans.
Direct trains and coaches from London. Can use direct trains from Charing Cross station (around 2 hours), or indirect high speed train from St. Pancras (around 1hr30, changing at either Ashford or Dover). Local buses available from Canterbury and Dover.
Deal is a relatively small town, and most attracts are within walking distance of each other. There is also a taxi rank outside the station, as well as various local buses.
- Deal Castle, Tel: +44 1304 372762, a 'device fort' built under Henry VIII in the 16th century. The castle is approximately a 20 minute walk from Deal train station.
- Walmer Castle and Gardens, Tel: +44 1304 364288 [] built under Henry VIII in the 16th century. Residence of the Duke of Wellington and William Pitt the Younger in later centuries, with the residence containing exquisite and extensive 18th and 19th century furniture and ornamentation. The castle is approximately a 30 minute walk from Deal train station.
- Deal Pier, built in 1957, this 311m long pier is the only remaining fully intact pleasure pier in Kent. There is a recently refurbished café at the end, and the pier is popular with fishermen (several platforms at the end) and tourists.
- 81 Beach Street 81 Beach Street, Deal, CT14 6JB, . Popular restaurant serving European cuisine.
- La Bouche 61 The Strand, Deal, CT14 7DP. French restaurant on the seafront.
- Bangkok House 114 High Street, Deal, CT14 6BB. Thai Cuisine.
- Keep house tea room 1 Deal Castle Road, Deal, CT14 7BB. Popular tea room.
- Middle Street Fish Bar 84 Middle Street, Deal, CT14 6HL. Popular fish and chip shop.
- Chequers Restaurant Golf Road, Deal, CT146RG. Gastropub type food.
- Milaad Tandoori 56 Middle Street, Deal, CT14 6HT. Indian restaurant and takeaway.
- Dunkerley's Restaurant and Hotel 19 Beach Street, Deal, CT14 7AH. Popular restaurant, Bistro-style food.
- The Dining Club 69 Middle Street, Deal, . Restaurant, which requires £5 annual membership (per household) and requires advance booking for themed "meal nights". An absolute must if visiting Deal regularly.
- Loon Hin Chinese Restaurant and Takeaway 8 Broad Street, Deal, CT14 6ER. Chinese restaurant and takeaway in the town centre.
- Three Compasses 129 Beach Street, Deal, CT14 6JS. Popular restaurant with a varied menu.
- The Court Yard Oyster Bar and Restaurant The Old Coach House, Deal CT14 7BW. Popular seafood restaurant.