Daytona Beach Shores is a city in Volusia County, East Central Florida.
Daytona Beach Shores was formed in 1960 by a group of moteliers who called themselves "2,000 Cottages." This relatively new city was incorporated in 1967, and stretches for 5 1/2-miles along South Atlantic Ave., (A1A) along the Atlantic Ocean. Continuing south, the scenic community of Ponce Inlet is located at the southern tip of the peninsula.
Because of the similarity in names, Daytona Beach Shores is frequently confused with Daytona Beach, which borders to the north. Daytona Beach Shores is much smaller with fewer hotels and a higher concentration of condominiums instead of hotels.
Daytona Beach Shores offers a humid, subtropical climate characterized by hot, humid summers and mild winters. The winter temperature very rarely drops below freezing. The summers are long and hot, with temperatures frequently in the upper 90's in July. Dangers include hurricanes from June 1 until November 30.
Map of Daytona Beach Shores, relative to Volusia County and Florida, with locations of nearby Cities.
Daytona Beach Shores has no local airport. If you need to fly here, you will need to find a commercial flight arriving to either Daytona Beach International Airport (the closest), Orlando International Airport, or Jacksonville International Airport.
Amtrak offers the Amtrak Auto Train service with its southern Terminus located in Sanford (Florida), about 35 miles west of Daytona Beach Shores. The Amtrak Auto Train carries passengers and automobiles between Sanford and Lorton, Virginia, effectively serving as a car-rail link from Florida to the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. You can easily drive your car into Daytona Beach Shores after departing from the Auto Train.
Amtrak offers regular passenger service with the closest stop being near the city of DeLand. This stop is rather remote and is not recommended as an option.
Florida Highway A1A connects Daytona Beach Shores to the outside world by car or motorcycle. Locally named South Atlantic Avenue, the highway connects with Daytona Beach from the North, and Port Orange from Dunlawton Avenue to the West.
Greyhound Bus Lines offers limited bus service to nearby Daytona Beach. Upon arrival at the Daytona Beach Greyhound station, you will need to either transfer to a local Volusia County bus or take a taxicab to complete your trip to Daytona Beach Shores. (The #17, #17A, and #17B all bring you to Daytona Beach Shores). 
Daytona Beach Shores is not a major port, however, it is accessible via the Intracoastal Waterway, from both the Halifax River and the Atlantic Ocean. Docking and refueling services are available at the Seven Seas Marina & Boatyard.
- VOTRAN is the name of the local Volusia County bus service. It is a cheap way to get around and is handicap accessible. The website provides maps and timetables. Buses travel to most sites and places of interest. A one-day Votran bus pass costs $3.
- A1A Beachside Trolley operates from January to Labor Day (September) along Atlantic Avenue on the beachside. They are air-conditioned and handicapped accessible. 
VOTRAN buses can be tracked using this app, so you can know if a bus is delayed. 
Florida Highway A1A, known as South Atlantic Avenue locally, is the main artery which runs along the beach in Daytona Beach Shores. The main alternative is Peninsula Drive, which runs along the Halifax River, on the West side of the city.
Sunglow Pier in Daytona Beach Shores
- Dahlia Park is located about 1/2 mile south of Dunlawton Avenue on A1A. This park features access to restrooms and picnic tables.
- Fornari Park is located next to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel on A1A. This park features access to the beach, playground equipment, dune walkovers with observation decks and picnic tables. It is named for the late Larry Fornari, Sr. a long-time community leader
- Max Samuely Park is located next to City Hall. This garden-type park contains a gazebo and landscaped areas for walking or sitting as well as a brick "wall of fame" honoring the racing heritage in the Shores. A memorial to former Councilman Otto Schulze is located next to the "wall of fame." This park also houses the Court of Flags, which represents some of the ethnic origins of Shores residents, visitors and business people. The Court was dedicated in May 1997.
- McElroy Park is located behind the City Senior Center. The City's largest park covers more than three acres and includes a baseball field, basketball and tennis courts, a playground, picnic tables, restrooms and other facilities.
- Frank Rendon Park, 2705 South Atlantic Ave, . Offers sheltered picnic areas, grills, children's playground with padded floor, disability-accessible restrooms, water fountain, outdoor showers, 141 off-street parking spaces, handicapped parking, wheelchair accessible wooden beach walkway, wooden observation deck, beach wheels.
- Sundown Park is on Peninsula Drive, across from Van Avenue and approximately one mile north of Dunlawton Avenue. This park overlooks the Intercoastal Waterway.
- Sunglow Pier, 3701 S. Atlantic Ave.  A pier which extends one thousand feet into the Atlantic Ocean. You can just sightsee or go fishing from the pier.
- Lighthouse Loop, 3501-4950 S. Atlantic Ave., . The Lighthouse Loop is a scenic drive, also used by walkers, bicyclists, and runners, which passes through the cities of Port Orange, Daytona Beach Shores, and Ponce Inlet. Check the web site for the exact route. edit
Daytona Beach Shores does not have any events of its own, but is affected by events in Daytona Beach to the North:
- Daytona Kart Week - Dec. 28-30, 2010
- NASCAR Preseason Thunder - Jan. 20-22, 2011
- Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona - Jan. 29-30, 2011
- Speedweek - Feb. 12-20, 2011
- Daytona 500 Race - Feb. 20, 2011
- Bike Week - Mar. 4-13, 2011
- Spring Break - Mar. 13-31, 2011
- Coke Zero 400 Race - Jul. 2, 2011
- Biketoberfest - Oct. 13-16, 2011
- Turkey Rod Run - Nov. 23-26, 2011
- Backwater Fishing Charters, 3948 S. Peninsula Dr. (Adventure Yacht Harbor), ☎ +1 386 566-9547 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Captain Shane offers half-day or full-day fishing charter services on the Halifax River, Indian River, or the Atlantic Ocean. edit
- Haf-N-Haf Fishing Charters, 79 East Dunlawton Ave. (Port Orange Marina), ☎ +1 386 767-0583 (email@example.com), . Captain Doug offers fishing charters for half-day or full-day trips on the Halifax River or Atlantic Ocean. edit
- Hooker Sport Fishing Charters, 3948 S. Peninsula Dr. (Adventure Yacht Harbor), ☎ +1 386 760-8909 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Book your next fishing trip aboard "The Hooker" with Captain Bill. Coast Guard approved for up to 14 passengers. edit
- Off Duty Charters, 3948 S. Peninsula Dr. (Adventure Yacht Harbor), ☎ +1 386 871-5628, . Captain Chris offers 4-hour, 6-hour, and 8-hour fishing charters. edit
- Oceans Golf Club, 2 Oceans West Blvd., ☎ +1 386 788-2998 (email@example.com), . Private, non-profit Golf Course, open to the public. 13 holes, par 3. $10 daily green fee. edit
- Congo River Adventure Golf, 2100 South Atlantic Ave., +1 386-258-6808 . Features an 18-hole miniature golf course with an airplane, waterfalls and a "volcano" as scenery.
- Hawaii Falls Golf, 2504 South Atlantic Ave., +1 386-767-7671. Features two different miniature golf courses with waterfalls and a "volcano" as background scenery.
- Pirates Island Adventure Golf, 3420 South Atlantic Ave., +1 386-767-9397. Features a pirate-themed miniature golf course.
- Daytona Sailing Charters, 3300 S.Peninsula Dr. (Seven Seas Marina), +1 386 931-0399.  Sailing charters offered on "The Arrow", a 33-foot Yawl sailboat owned by Captain Richard Paauwe for 2 hour or longer eco-cruises for nature viewing on the Halifax River.
- Eagle Yacht Charters, 3948 South Peninsula Dr. (Adventure Yacht Harbor), +1 386 295-2578 .
- Sundial Sailing and Charters, 3948 South Peninsula Dr. (Adventure Yacht Harbor), +1 407-222-3626 .
- Advanced Hair Design, 3280 South Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1-386 767-5027. edit
- Alluring Hair Designs, 3060 South Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1-386 767-2511. edit
- Alyses Tropical Salon, 3114-B South Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1-386 304-8865. Offers manicures, pedicures, hair cuts and styling, and hair waxing services. edit
- Cherises Salon, 3612 South Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1-386 760-2035 or +1-386 763-0223, . Offers hair cuts, facials, nail services, massage therapy, and waxing. edit
- Fran's Hair Fashion, 3174-B South Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1-386 761-1811. Open Mon-Sat, 8am-5pm. Offers hair cuts, manicures, pedicures, silk wrap. edit
- Hair Waves, 116 Dunlawton Ave., ☎ +1-386 788-2900. edit
- Headquarters Hairstyles, 136-D Beachcomber St., ☎ +1-386 788-5133. Offers hair cuts, highlights, perms, and facial waxes. edit
- Premiere Hair Salon, 3616-E South Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1-386 322-4455. edit
- Oceans Racquet and Recreation Club, 3000 South Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1 386 761-6088. City-owned and operated public tennis facility with one hard court and eight clay courts, with lights.  edit
ATMs can be found throughout Daytona Beach Shores. Usually larger hotels and convenience stores will have a "generic" ATM machine available; however, be forewarned about hidden service fees.
- Publix Shopping Center, 3044 South Atlantic Ave., ☎ (386) 756-3482. edit
- Winn Dixie Shopping Center, 2200 South Atlantic Ave., ☎ (386) 253-7713. edit
- Pearls International, 3114 South Atlantic Ave. (One mile north of Dunlawton on A1A), ☎ (386) 767-3473 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Monday-Saturday, 10am - 6pm. Fine pearl jewelry, gifts, and accessories. Pearls International offers a Creation Station where customers can design their own jewelry. Customers can also pick a pearl out of an oyster (Wish Pearls). Prices start at $39.95. edit
There are countless gift shops along the beach drive, Florida Route A1A (South Atlantic Avenue) where you can buy souvenir shirts, beach wear, surfing gear, gifts, etc.
- Beach Access, 102 Dunlawton Ave., ☎ 386-760-0055. edit
- Bikini Co., 116 Dunlawton Ave., ☎ 386-756-0504. edit
- Coastal Loco Gift Shop, 2316 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-236-9926. edit
- Fantasy Beachwear, 2216 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-255-5661. edit
- Hot Image, 3218 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-322-0053. edit
- Maddog Surf Shop, 3634 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-761-5999, . edit
- Mike's Gifts, 3500 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-767-1920. edit
- Ocean Club Sportswear, 2058 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-323-1719. edit
- Purple Haze, 2250 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-254-6945. edit
- Sandpiper Gift Shop, 3126 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-767-4206. edit
- Souvenir City, 3154 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-767-7060. edit
- The Sand Box, 2040 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-252-4405. edit
- Waikiki Surf Wear, 2000 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ 386-257-3820. edit
- Cow Licks, 2624 South Atlantic Avenue. Tel.: +1 386 761-1316. Ice cream.
- Cracked Egg Diner, 3280 South Atlantic Avenue. Tel.: +1 386 788-7332. American cuisine (Breakfast and Lunch).
- Vittoria's Italian Pastry & Coffee Shop, 3106 South Atlantic Ave. Tel.: +1 386 788-6063. Italian pastries.
- Crabby Joe's Deck and Grill, Sun Glow Pier, 3701 South Atlantic Ave. Tel.: +1 386 788-3364 . Casual seafood cuisine. Full liquor bar.
- Genovese's Italian Cafe, 116 Dunlawton Ave. Tel.: +1 386 767-4151 . Casual Italian cuisine. Offers specialty pizzas, eggplant rollatini, seafood, veal parmigiana and lobster ravioli.
- Louise's Italian Restaurant, 3408 South Atlantic Ave. Tel.: +1 386 788-5009. Italian cuisine.
- Mike's Galley, 2514 South Atlantic Ave. Tel.: +1 386 756-2020 . American cuisine (Breakfast and Lunch).
- Milano Restaurant, 3100 South Atlantic Ave. Tel.: +1 386 767-7273. Italian cuisine (Dinner).
- New York Style Bagel Deli & Restaurant, 3344 South Atlantic Ave. Tel.: +1 386 760-0302 . American cuisine (Breakfast and Lunch).
- Porto Fino Restaurant, 3124 South Atlantic Ave. Tel.: +1 386 767-9484 . Italian cuisine. Includes pastas, pizzas, veal, and seafood dishes. Open nightly for dinner, and takeout is available.
- Ohana Luau, 2301 South Atlantic Ave, Polynesian style luau with buffet dinner. Family Friendly. 386-255-5411
- Stavro's Beachside Pizza and Pasta House, 2132 South Atlantic Ave. Tel.: +1 386 253-3405. Italian cuisine (Lunch and Dinner).
- Aurelia's Taste of Rome, 3218 South Atlantic Ave. Tel: +1 386 788-4266. Italian cuisine; Fine dining.
- Azure Restaurant (The Shores Resort & Spa), 2637 South Atlantic Ave. Tel: 386-767-7350. Seafood cuisine.
- Top of Daytona Restaurant and Lounge, 2625 South Atlantic Ave. Tel.: +1 386 767-5791. Seafood and Continental cuisine.
- Metz Liquor Store & Lounge, 2136 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386 252-9428. Smoking permitted.
- Metz Lounge, 3280 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386 767-9051. Smoking permitted.
- D.J.'s Deck, 79 East Dunlawton Ave, +1 386 760-2271.
- Our Deck Down Under, 78 East Dunlawton Ave. 386-767-1881.
- Surfside Tavern 3400 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386 788-6660 . Smoking permitted.
- The Shores Festhaus 2136 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386 255-2981 . No smoking.
- Yaya's Beachside Bar, 112 East Dunlawton Ave, +1 386 756-1110 . Smoking permitted.
High Season in Daytona Beach Shores runs generally from February through July. Low Season is from September through January. The best rates are usually found in November, December and January.
- Beachside Motel, 3309 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386 256-4719.  31 rooms. Heated pool( Feb. and March),sundeck. All rooms include a full kitchen, private balcony and spacious rooms.
- Cabana Colony Cottages, 2501 S. Atlantic Ave. 386-767-8939.  Charming 1920's oceanfront and garden view cottages. Continental breakfast, fully equipped kitchens and heated oceanfront pool. 30 units.
- Famous Shores Motel, 3738 S. Atlantic Ave, Phone: (386) 767-2943. Rooms, efficiencies, suites 2-3 bedroom and Handicapped accessible facilities. Heated pool, sun deck area and a BBQ area. Sorry "No Pets". Across the street from the beach.
- Jasmin Motel, 3621 S. Atlantic Ave, Phone: (386) 760-9196. Restaurants nearby. Amenities include cable TV, in-room coffee maker and room service. Free wireless high speed internet.
- Perry's Cottages, 2139 S. Atlantic Ave., 386-255-0581. Private cottages with nicely appointed kitchens. Located on the beach. Small pets welcome. Two outdoor pools, indoor heated pool. Walking distance to dining and grocery store. 15 units. www.perryswhitecaps.com
- Sea Scape Inn, 2601 S. Atlantic Ave., Phone: (386) 767-7312. Oceanfront efficiencies with sliding door to private balconies. Microwaves and refrigerators in each room. Heated pool, kiddie pool, putting green, BBQ area, shuffleboard. Free continental breakfast. Pet friendly.
- Sand Castle Motel, 3619 S. Atlantic Ave, (386) 767-3182.  Family owned and operated. Kitchens with microwave. Complimentary morning coffee. Daily Newspaper. BBQ area with gas grill. Heated pool and sun deck overlooking the beach.
- South Shore Motel, 3225 S. Atlantic Ave., (386) 767-7786.  Rooms with kitchens, phones, cable TV, private balconies and direct ocean views. Pool and sun deck.
- Turtle Inn, 3233 S. Atlantic Ave., (386) 761-0426. Time Share property.
- Acapulco Hotel and Resort, 2505 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386-761-2210 (toll-free: 1-800-329-8662), . 133 rooms. Every room has a private balcony with a view of the Atlantic Ocean. Remodeled pool deck, Bohemian Bar and Grille. Each room is equipped with a refrigerator and complete kitchens are available. Biker friendly.
- Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn, 3247 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386-761-8450 (fax: +1 386-304-3079), . Efficiencies, some pet friendly. Oceanfront. Free wi-fi.
- Bahama House, 2001 S. Atlantic Ave., +1 800 571-2001, Huge rooms on the beach. Family friendly. Rate includes free daily breakfast buffet and cocktail reception. High speed Internet. .
- Best Western Aku Tiki Inn, 2225 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386-252-9631 (toll-free: 1-800-258-8454, fax: +1 386-252-1198), .
- Days Inn Tropical Seas, 3357 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386-767-8737, .
- Daytona Seabreeze, 3125 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386-788-1000.
- El Caribe Resort and Conference Center, 2125 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386-252-1558 (toll-free: 1-800-445-9889). 110 guest rooms, including both studios and suites. 5 meeting/reception rooms available also. Located on the beach. 
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, 3301 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386-767-1711, . 100 rooms. Completely remodeled (2011) hotel on the beach. All rooms are oceanfront, with private balconies, mini-fridge, microwave, coffeemaker. Outdoor pool, fitness center, executive meeting room. The Stay Smart Hot breakfast bar included with your stay. Free wireless internet and business center with courtesy computers. Non smoking, No pets.
- Oceanside Inn, 1909 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386-255-4492 (toll-free: 1-800-457-0077), .
- Sun Viking Lodge 2411 S. Atlantic Ave. 386-252-6252 Family owned and operated oceanfront property. Direct oceanfront rooms. Indoor and outdoor heated pools adn 60-foot water slide. Complimentary recreation program. Golf packages. AAA rated excellent. Mobil rated excellent. www.sunviking.com
- The Shores Resort and Spa (formerly The Hilton), 2637 South Atlantic Ave, +1 386-767-7350, . A beachfront resort located on the The Shores barrier island. This AAA Four-Diamond resort features chic furnishings, oversized windows & spacious terraces or balconies, tiki bar and cabanas and oceanfront pool and sundeck. Also on property, the Indulge Spa, Azure, fine dining, and event venues that are ideal for weddings, meetings, and receptions.
- McColly Real Estate, 3118 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1 386 756-8090 (email@example.com). Daytona Beach Shores vacation rentals including condos and homes. edit
- Peck Realty, 2430 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1 386 257-5000 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Daytona Beach Shores vacation condo rentals. edit
- Waverly Property Group, 3624 S. Atlantic Ave., ☎ +1 386 322-3600 (email@example.com), . Daytona Beach Shores vacation rentals including condos and homes. edit
Seven digit dialing is in effect for local calls in Daytona Beach Shores. The local area code is 386. For calls within the US or Canada, dial 1+area code+number. There are some public pay phones scattered around the city, but they are becoming increasingly rare with the predominance of cell phones. It is not safe to assume you will be able to find a pay phone at any given time.
The ZIP code in the city of Daytona Beach Shores is 32118.
The Daytona Beach Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, 126 East Orange Avenue, Tel: (386) 255-0415 (Fax: (386) 255-5478), . The official sales and marketing travel organization for Daytona Beach Shores.
It is common for many of the larger hotels and lodgings in the area to offer free internet access for their guests.
Florida has a high occurrence of hurricanes. You might want to check the Hurricane safety page if you are visiting Florida. Beware of lightning in the central part of the state. Daytona Beach Shores is known for a high number of shark attacks, so be careful when surfing. Also, there is a high occurrence of tornadoes in Florida, so check the Tornado safety page.
Daytona Beach Shores has a very efficient Police Department and crime is rare in this city. However, the Police Department is also known to issue a large number of Speeding Tickets to motorists. Be careful not to exceed the speed limit while driving in Daytona Beach Shores.
The 911 number for fire and police emergencies is in effect in Daytona Beach Shores.
- Daytona Beach - The Shore's famous neighbor to the North offers NASCAR racing and other special events.
- Ponce Inlet - A scenic fishing village located the southern tip of the beach peninsula. Here you will find the historic Ponce Inlet Lighthouse, Marine Science Center, local charter fishing boats, along with several of the area's best seafood restaurants.
- Port Orange - A quiet, but rapidly growing city just West of the Shores on the mainland, where you can enjoy Golf and Tennis.
|Routes through Daytona Beach Shores
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
Dmoz:North America/United States/Florida/Localities/D/Daytona_Beach_Shores/
wts:Category:Daytona Beach Shores