Dahlonega  is in Georgia's Historic High Country. It was the site of a major gold rush, claimed the first in the US by local citizens. Gold mining continues to be an important part of cultural identity of Dahlonega and several mines remain open as tourists attractions. It is also home to The University of North Georgia.
From Atlanta, GA
Approximately 1 1/4 hrs.
GA 400/US 19 North from Atlanta until end GA 400 ends. Left onto GA 60 after 5.5 miles GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
From Athens, GA
Approximately 1 3/4 hrs.
US 129/GA 15 Atl North from Athens, GA near Jefferson GA 15 Atl turn towards Commerce, GA and US 129 is joined by GA 11. In downtown Gainesville, GA US 129 turns off and heads north to Cleveland, GA. Continue to follow GA 11 called Ee Butler Parkway til it merges with GA 60 called Greene Street. GA 60 and GA 11 soon spilt Stay left onto GA 60 called Thompson Bridge Rd. 20 miles later GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
From Chattanooga, TN
Approximately 110 miles - 3 hrs.
I-75 South. Go South on I-75 to Dalton, GA. Take Hwy. 76 to Ellijay. From Ellijay continue south on Hwy. 52 to Dahlonega.
From Birmingham, AL
Approximately 3 1/2 hrs.
I-20 E take I-20 East to Atlanta, then I-285 by-pass north toward Chattanooga. Take GA 400 North to the end. Left onto GA 60 after 5.5 miles GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
Lumpkin County Transit operates with just two buses and offers door-to-door transportation on a first-come, first-served basis by appointment. "Nominal fees" are based on mileage. It's operated by Lumpkin County’s Emergency Services Department. For details call 706-864-6900.
- Consolidated Gold Mine, 185 Consolidated Gold Mine Rd., Dahlonega, GA 30533 (near Wal-Mart), ☎ 706.864.8473, . At the Consolidated Gold Mine a tour takes you underground into the mine to see what working conditions were like beneath Dahlonega during the gold rush. The tour shows the original cart rails, electrical lines and even an operational pneumatic drill. The tour also include an opportunity to pan for gold. $11/7 for adults/children. Under 3 get in free. edit
- Grisson's Gold Mine, 2736 Morrison Moore Parkway East, Dahlonega, GA 30533, ☎ (706) 864-6363, . At Grisson's Gold Mine there is one of the only press mines remaining and gold can be panned here. edit
- Dahlonega Gold Museum, 1 Public Square Dahlonega , GA 30533, ☎ 706-864-5991, . Monday-Saturday 9AM-5 PM; Sunday 10AM-5PM. The Dahlonega Gold Museum is located in the center of the historic square in the old courthouse of Dahlonega. $3.50-$5.00. edit
- The University of North Georgia, 82 College Circle, Dahlonega, GA 30597, ☎ (706) 864-1400, . The Military College of Georgia there are many things for a traveler to see. Price Memorial Hall is the gold topped landmark of the campus built on the foundations of the old National Mint. edit
- Humming Bird Art Gallery, 100 North Public Square Dahlonega, Georgia 30533, ☎ 706-864-5991, . Mon-Sat: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm Sun:11:00 am - 6:00 pm. This 4,000 sq ft gallery is located on the top floor of Hall's Block right on the square of downtown Dahlonega. edit
- Yahoola Creek Park, Mechanicsville Rd Dahlonega GA (Turn onto Mechanicsville Rd from Morrison Moore Parkway. Yahoola Creek Park is located at the end of the road.), . Yahoola Creek Park is home to baseball, softball, and soccer fields. It also has tennis courts. Besides basic park fixtures there is a community garden and 2 miles of hiking/walking trails. edit
- Gold Rush Days, . festival is held the third weekend in October. Thousands of people fill the town to celebrate the discovery of gold in Dahlonega. Voted one of the Top 20 Events in the southeast by the Southeast Tourism Society. More info. edit
- Bear on the Square, . Bear on the Square is a country and folk music festival held each year in mid-April. edit
- Hemlock Festival, . is a music festival held each year in early November. The festival is held to raise awareness and funds for defending the Hemlock's from attack by the woolly adelgid. $5-$40. edit
- The Mountain Flower Art Festival. The Mountain Flower Art Festival is scheduled for the 3rd week in May on Saturday & Sunday, from 10am - 5pm. edit
- Dahlonega General Store, 24 Public Square South, Dahlonega, GA, 30533, ☎ 706-864-2005, . Sunday - Thursday 10-6, Friday & Saturday 10-9. Old General Store on the square, sells locally made trinkets and souvenirs as well as 5¢ cups of coffee. Worth a visit. edit
- Gustavo's Pizzeria, 16 Public Square South, Dahlonega, GA 30533-1214, ☎ (706) 864-2366. Literally a hole in the wall this pizzeria has the best quality pizza for really cheap. A slice of the kitchen sink(ultimate) is only $3.50 and it's huge. The garlic rolls are also amazing. edit
- Connie's Ice Cream Parlor & Sandwich Shop, 18 North Park Street, Dahlonega, GA 30533, ☎ (706) 864-1382. Good ice cream, sandwiches and dogs for cheap. edit
- Zaxby's 
- The Smith House, 84 South Chestatee Street Dahlonega, GA 30533, ☎ (706) 867-7000, . A traditional shared table, with rich southern food. Excellent quality and a unique experience but comes with a higher price tag. edit
- The Corkscrew Cafe, 51 Main Street, Dahlonega, GA 30533, ☎ (706) 867-8551, . Tuesday - Thursday 11:30-9, Friday & Saturday 11:30-10, Sunday 12-9 w/Brunch 12-3. Fancy cafe just off the square, a bit pricey but the Sunday Brunch with Zucchini bread is well worth checking out. edit
Dahlonega has several wineries.
- Frogtown Cellars, 700 Ridge Point Dr, ☎ (706) 865-0687, . M-S 12-5; Sat 12-6; Sun 12:30-5:00. Winery has hilltop views of surrounding vineyards and mountains. edit
- Three Sisters Vineyards, 439 Vineyard Way, ☎ 706-865-9463, . Dahlonega's first family farm winery. Property is behind Frogtown Cellars. edit
- Wolf Mountain Vineyards and Winery, 180 Wolf Mountain Trl (Off highway 19, north of Dahlonega), ☎ 706-867-9862, . Outstanding Sunday brunch. edit
For coffee, food, and live music, head over to the The Crimson Moon, just off the square.
- Cedar House Inn & Yurts, 6463 Highway 19 N, ☎ +1 706 867-9446, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. Eco friendly bed and breakfast in the North Georgia mountains and wine country. Adults only. Full vegetarian breakfast each morning, vegan with advance notice. edit
- Hiker Hostel, 7693 Hwy 19 N (6 miles north of town and south of the Appalachian Trail), ☎ +1 770 312-7342, . Shuttle service to the hostel offered from various trail crossings as well as the cities of Atlanta and Gainesville; fees vary by distance. $17 dorms, $40 privates. (34.613714,-83.964601) edit
wikipedia:Dahlonega Gold Museum Historic Site