Dadar (Marathi: दादर) is a residential and shopping district in Mumbai's central district and a prominent transit hub with local and nationwide connectivity. Mumbai Suburban Railway's network divides the area into two big areas 'Dadar East' and 'Dadar West'. Both these areas are thoroughly crowded, almost any time of the day, and more so during festival seasons such as Ganesh Festival or Deepavali. The areas boast many old residential areas, such as Chawls, and food joints that remind of prevailing culture in early day's of Mumbai (then Bombay). Dadar East area particularly has witnessed transformation into a major Saree shopping hub over a period of time from its glory day's that witnessed Bollywood celebrities visiting many movie studios in the area.
Dadar is cramped between Matunga, Wadala, Parel, Prabhadevi and Elphinstone Road. Dadar east area is well served by Dr B Ambedkar road that connects central side of south Mumbai (CST) to north Mumbai (Thane and Navi Mumbai. Dadar west is well connected by Western Express Highway that connected western side of south Mumbai (Churchgate) and north Mumbai (Borivali). Tilak bridge, a bridge built in 1923, and several footover bridges across suburban railway stations connect both, east and west parts of Dadar.
- Shivaji Park, the largest park in Mumbai, is situated in Dadar West. A popular hangout for young and old alike, this park is spread across 112,937 square metres (27.907 acres) in area and houses Samarth Vyayam Mandir (gymnasium), Shivaji Park Nagarik Sangh (established in 1947), Shivaji Park Gymkhana (club), Children's Park, Nana-Nani Park (Grandpa and Grandma park), Scout's Pavilion (which is a popular venue for marriages), Udyan Ganesh Mandir (Ganesh temple), The Bengal Club with a small Kali shrine and a library. The walkway is lined with huge rain trees and a stone wall for sitting. The popular times to visit are during evening times. Surrounding the Shibaji Park are many popular food joints.
- Five Gardens, (next to Parsi Colony, Dadar East). Take evening walks or walk your dog in this cluster of five gardens and circling road network. Free. edit
- Veer Baji Prabhu Udyan, garden next to sea shores
- Veer Kotwal Udyan
- Vaidya Udyan, is on Lakhamsi Nappu road on Dadar East and is a popular place for families and couples to hang around.
- Swatantrayaveer Savarkar Smarak Auditorium, 252, Veer Savarkar marg Shivaji Park, Dadar West 400028, ☎ +91(022)24465877, . A memorial dedicated to Veer Savarkar, a prominent freedom fighter, this memorial conducts lectures, seminars, symposia on various issues of National and topical interest. It also houses a reputed reference library and reading room. It has Mumbai's only Museum exclusively dedicated to the armed revolutionaries of the freedom movement. The Smarak conducts various activities in order to strengthen the young generation to serve our Nation. edit
- Watch Cricket matches for free, Shivaji Park, Dadar West. Every evening and sometimes during other day times, especially on weekends, cricket amateurs and aspirants come to Shivaji Park to practice their game, It's a free show for anyone who has time to spare. These activities can also be enjoyed by visiting park next to Ruia College, Matunga, bordering Dadar ward and a 15 minutes walking distance from Dadar Central Station. edit
- Watch Ganapati Visarjan, Dr B Ambedkar Road, Tilak Bridge, Shivaji Park, Dadar Chowpati. Every year on fortnight (Shukla paksha) of Bhadrapad month of Hindu calendar, idols of Lord Ganesha brought into homes and communities are immersed, a ritual known as Ganesh Visarjan in Marathi, in the sea or nearby lakes and rivers. In Mumbai, this happens at several places, and Dadar Chowpati is one of the key places to witness it. These street processions accompanied with dancing, singing, and fanfare can be observed from the mentioned streets and areas. Expect lot of crowd though. edit
- Pay homage to Dr B Ambedkar, Dadar Chowpati. Dadar is also home to Chaitya Bhoomi, where the last rites of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar were performed. On December 6 there is a huge ceremony in his memory. edit
- Plaza Cinema, N C Kelkar Road, Dadar West, Mumbai - 400028 (near Tilak Bridge), ☎ +91(022)24304704. edit
- Chitra Cinema, 198, Dr B Ambedkar Road, Dadar East, Mumbai - 400014, ☎ +91(022) 67338190. edit
- Premier Cinema, Rangoli Time Complex, Ganpat Marut Nagara Marg, Dadar East, Mumbai - 400014. (near Hindamata market), ☎ +91(022) 24105551. edit
- Shivaji Mandir Drama Theater, NC Kelkar Road, Dadar West. Visit for the best Marathi dramas edit
- Swami Narayan Temple, Swaminarayan Chowk, Dadar East, Mumbai - 400014 (opp Dadar Central Station), ☎ +91(022)24224471,+91(022)24370180 (email@example.com, fax: 91(022)24141074,+91(022)24169117), . Free. edit"
- Portuguese Church (Church of Our Lady of Salvation), S.K. Bole Road, Dadar West, Mumbai - 400028, ☎ +91(022)24141125, +91(022)24144000 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Free. edit"
- Rustom Faramna Agiari (1928), Mancherji Joshi Road, Dadar East, Mumbai (inside Dadar Parsi Colony). The One of the most popular Zoroastrian agiaris in Mumbai, it has also received Urban Heritage Award in 2003 by the Indian Heritage Society. Free. edit"
- Kali Mata Mandir, Swatantrya Veer Savarkar Marg, Dadar West, Mumbai - 400028 (opp Mahatma Gandhi Olympic Swimming Pool). Free. edit"
- Ganpati Temple, Swatantrya Veer Savarkar Marg, Dadar West, Mumbai - 400028 (opp Mahatma Gandhi Olympic Swimming Pool). Free. edit"
- Hanuman Mandir, Dadar West, Mumbai (next to D'Silva School). Free. edit"
- Hanuman Mandir, Dadar Central Station, Mumbai - 400014 (next to Dadar Central Station & opposite to Swami Narayan Temple). Free. edit"
Dadar is a thriving market for the locals, people from other parts of Mumbai and India. Some of the key markets are:
- Vegetable and flower market of Dadar West, Tulsi Pipe Road (next to Dadar Western station). The market opens early in the morning, starting around 4am, and closes at about 11am. This flee market stocks varieties of vegetables and fruits on the roadside. edit
- Waman Hari Pethe Jwellers, Dr B Ambedkar Road, Dadar East, Mumbai - 400014. edit
- Cake Studio. edit
- Ruchi Food Plaza. edit
- Prakash Restaurant. edit
- Hotel Malvan Kinara. edit
- Gypsy Chinese, Ground Floor, Vidya Bhawan, Plot No. 121, Keluskar Road, Dadar West - 400028 (Opposite Petrol Pump), ☎ +91(022)932264270, +91(022)24455965. Chinese food tuned in to the Indian palate; this has been the landmark of Dadar West for couple of decades.The popular dishes include Red Curry, Green Curry, Coconut Custard, Babycorn Hot Chilli, Lamb Chilli, Pork Chilli, Shanghai Fish, Crispy Spinach Chicken, Baby Corn Hot Chilli, Shanghai Fish and Fish in Creamy Crabmeat Sauce. edit
- Gomantak, 301 Miranda Chawl, Kelkar Road, Dadar West, Mumbai. Rs250-500. edit
Punjabi & North Indian
- Great Punjab Restaurant & Bar, Dr B Ambedkar Road, Dadar East. Punjabi cuisine (Veg, Non-veg, Bar) edit
- Aroma Restaurant, Dada Saheb Phalke Road, Dadar East. Punjabi cuisine (Veg, Non-veg, Bar) edit
- Pritam Da Dhaba. edit
- Sadhana, Dada Saheb Phalke Road, Dadar East. Udipi Restaurant (Pure veg) edit
- Tambe Upahar Gruh, Dada Saheb Phalke Road, Dadar East. Udipi Restaurant (Pure veg) edit
- Shree Krishna Pure Veg. edit
Snacks & Sweets
- Damodar Meethaiwala. edit
- Kalubai Raswanti Gruh, Lakhamsi Nappu Road, Hindu Colony (across the lane next to staircase to Tilak Bridge and towards Matunga). One of the oldest Sugarcane juice centres edit
- Hotel Midtown Pritam, Pritam Estates, Dadar T.T., Mumbai - 400014, ☎ +91(022)24145555,+91(022)43449999 (fax: +91(022)4143388), . edit
- Ramee Guestline Dadar Hotel, (opp Satyanarayan Temple, Dadar Central station). edit
- Hotel Avon Ruby, 87, Naigam Cross Road, Dadar East, Mumbai - 400014, ☎ +91(022)24114591-95 (email@example.com, fax: +91(022)24114596), . checkout: 12noon. Rs3,500-6,000. edit
- Bawa Regency (Dadar), Gokul Das Pasta Road, Dadar East (near Khodadad Circle), ☎ +91(022)40498383 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +91(022)24137908), . Rs3500-5000. edit
- Park Lane Hotel, Hind Rajasthan Building, Dada Saheb Phalke Road, Dadar East, Mumbai - 400014. edit