Covington is a city in Louisiana. The seat of St. Tammany Parish, it's about an hour's drive north of New Orleans.
Smith's General Store looks much as it did more than a century ago.
Driving from New Orleans, take I-10 west to Causeway Boulevard in Metairie; then take Causeway north, keep going across the lake, then follow Highway 190 and the signs straight to Covington.
From elsewhere, from I-12 to either Highway 21 or Highway 190 and go north, and you'll be in the heart of Covington.
Mostly by car; the small old town section is pleasant for walking.
The old town section on and around Columbia Street. The south end of Columbia has "Columbia Street Landing", a park at the riverfront.
- H J Smith & Sons General Store 308 N Columbia St. Old style general store not only has an interesting variety of goods for sale, they also have a large room housing a free museum.
- Acquistapace Supermarket, Boston St., ☎ 985-893-0593. Great local supermarket, Deli Counter, Butcher Shop and Largest Wine Selection on the Northshore. edit
- Inwood Gardens, 1640 Collins Blvd., ☎ 985-892-0717, . 9-5. Nursery and Garden Gift Shop. Great selection of plants and gifts for the gardener. Ask for Norman or Desiree. edit
- Bear's 128 West 21st Ave. New Orleans style po-boy sandwiches
- Columbia Street Tap Room & Grill 434 N. Columbia Street  Live music most weekends.
- The English Tea Room 734 Rutland Street . English teas and lunch, Tues-Sat 10a-5p
- El Porto. Mexican Favorites edit
- del Porto. Upscale Italian Restaurant edit
- St. John's Coffee House 535 E. Boston St (at the corner of Columbia Street) 
- Columbia St. Tap Room, 434 N. Columbia St., ☎ 985-898-0899. Great Food, Live Music, Large Beer Selection. edit
- Best Western Northpark Inn, 625 N. Highway 190, +1 877-766-6700, .
- Courtyard New Orleans Covington/Mandeville, 101 Northpark Boulevard, ☎ 1-504-838-3800, . Amid lush gardens, stately trees and a serene pond, the recently renovated Courtyard New Orleans Covington Mandeville exudes a welcoming atmosphere for a relaxing vacation or productive business trip edit
- Residence Inn New Orleans Covington/North Shore, 101 Park Place Boulevard, ☎ 1-985-246-7222, . The Residence Inn Covington, LA Hotel is an ideal lodging choice across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans. edit
Telephone area code is 985.
Covington is a good base for exploring the Lake Pontchartrain North Shore area, including Madisonville, Mandeville, and Abita Springs.
New Orleans is an hour south across the Causeway.
Baton Rouge is about 80 minutes drive west on I-12.