Coventry  is the largest town in Kent County and the state of Rhode Island, with a population of approximately 34,660 as of 2007 and a total area of 62.3 sq mi. Coventry is bordered by Sterling, CT to the West and West Warwick to the East, as well as East and West Greenwich to the South and Foster, Scituate and Cranston to the North.
It was founded in 1741 after the population of settlers was significant enough to separate from Warwick and form a new town. Much of Coventry is of historical note as home to many villages and homesteads from the 1700s, including those of Nathaniel Greene and Thomas Paine. Some of the villages include Greene, Washington, Anthony, and Hopkins Hollow. There are two main commercial areas in Coventry. The first is Route 3, which is also known as Tiogue Avenue or Nooseneck Hill Road. Most of the stores and restaurants can be found on this main road. The second large commercial area is called The Centre of New England, which has many stores, restaurants, and hotels.
T.F. Green Airport  is roughly a 20 minute drive to Coventry. Follow I-95 South and take exit 7.
- RIPTA (Rhode Island Public Transit Authority), . Bus transportation from anywhere in Rhode Island. Be sure to visit the RIPTA website, www.ripta.com, to see rates and bus schedules.
If you are traveling from the northern part of Rhode Island or from Boston, take I-95 South toward Providence and take Exit 6 to enter the Coventry/West Greenwich area (Route 3), exit 6a to enter onto Hopkins Hill Road in Coventry, and exit 7 to enter the Coventry/West Warwick area (New London Turnpike). If you are traveling from the south take I-95 North from any of these exits.
By Rhode Island Bike Paths
Coventry can also be accessed through walk, run or bike via Rhode Island Bike Paths. The Coventry Greenway and Trestle trail connects to Washington Secondary Bike Path which can lead you as far along the 19 mile path to Cranston Street in Cranston, RI and ends on Log Bridge Road, just past Route 102 in western Coventry. The path connects through the heart of Coventry allowing for several exits onto main roads and neighborhoods throughout the area including an entryway to Herbert F. Paine Memorial Field.
There are five major roads in Coventry: Route 3 (Nooseneck Hill Road), Route 102 (Victory Highway), Interstate 95, Route 116 (Knotty Oak Road), and Route 117 (Flat River Road). I-95 skirts the edge of downtown and has exits to most prominent areas in town. Route 3 runs through downtown Coventry and sees considerable traffic, but is still the easiest and quickest way through downtown. Route 102 runs through the Western end of town, from West Greenwich to Foster/Scituate, and intersects both I-95 and Route 3 near West Greenwich. Route 116 runs through the northern end of town, from Coventry to Cumberland. Route 117, one of the state of Rhode Island’s original highways, runs from Coventry to West Warwick/Warwick/Cranston.
The Coventry Greenway and Trestle Trail allows for walkers, runners and bikers to travel through most of the main commercial and residential areas of Coventry with exits for Route 116, Station Street, Route 117, Hill Farm Road, Phillips Hill Road, Ledge Road, Camp Westwood and Susan Bowen Road.
- Paine House, 7 Station Street, ☎ +1 (401) 826-0021, . Saturdays May-Sep. Paine house is a historic house museum that has been furnished to reflect the Colonial era. The Paine House was once a Colonial house and inn and has been restored by the Coventry Historical society in the period-style. edit
- Nathanael Greene Homestead Museum, 20 Taft Street, ☎ +1 (401) 821-8630, . Known as Spell Hall, it was the home of Revolutionary War general Nathanael Greene from 1770 to 1776. Tours run from April 1st - October 31st. edit
- Read School House, 1670 Flat River Road, ☎ +1 (401) 821-0546. Built in 1831 and used until 1951, Read School House is a one room school that is still furnished with desks and chairs. The Coventry Historical Society encourages groups to visit by appointment by calling the number above. edit
- George B. Parker Woodland, 1670 Maple Valley Road, . Part of the Rhode Island Audubon Society, this park offers free admission to 860 acres of hiking trails and nature scenery. The caretaker's house was built in the 1700s and is noted on the National Register of Historic Places. There is also a converted nature center. The trails are located at the western side of the town where restaurants and stores are quite sparse, so make sure to bring your own food and drinks. Cell phone service is also questionable depending on your service provider. edit
- Herbert F. Paine Memorial Park, 1277 Main Street. Lighted softball and baseball parks. Lighted basketball courts and four tennis courts. There is also a street hockey court and a playground. Seasonal concession stands run by the parents of the children registered in any of the league's. Restrooms available. Plenty of parking all over the park.This park also incorporates a skatepark open to the public. The Skatepark boasts a halfpipe, two rails, and several other ramps. It is open from dawn to dusk, and rules and regualtions can be found at the town of Coventry website. The park is accessible by the Coventry Greenway. edit
- Teen Center, 668 Washington Street. Offers free use of foosball, pingpong, and air hockey tables. Arts and crafts and game tournaments offered on a regular basis. This is clean, safe, and supervised fun for area teens. edit
- Foster Memorial Park, Located 1/4 mile north on Station Street from intersection of Main Street in Washington village. There are four baseball/softball fields, three soccer fields, a hiking trail, and a volleyball court. Seasonal food concession and restrooms available. It is also accessible through the Alan Shawn Feinstein Middle School of Coventry.
- Rice Field, Located at 7 Knotty Oak Road, (Rte. 116). Offers a lighted football field, baseball/softball field, tennis court and playground. Seasonal food concession and portable restrooms available. Proposed Restrooms, Pavilion, Basketball court and Gazebo.
- Briar Point Beach and Picnic Area, Located on Lake Tiogue, the end of Briar Point Avenue off Arnold Road. Offers swimming and picnic facilities with lifeguards on duty from June 19th thru Labor Day. Playground facility and seasonal portable restrooms.
- Carbuncle Pond, Route 14 near CT border. A popular fishing spot located close to the Connecticut border, great for sport and stocked with several species of fish. Consult local guides and resources for guidelines. There are also small trails around the lake and shoreline for lounging. edit
- Johnson's Pond Flat River Road. Johnson's Pond is a great spot for fishing and watersports. Wakeboarding Magazine rated Johnson's Pond as the best spot for wakeboarding in Rhode Island.
- Coventry Greenway, Station Street, . Coventry Greenway is a 5 mile trail that is generally flat. Only 3.5 miles of the path are paved, but the path can be used for either walking or biking. This path is currently under construction which will allow users to travel the full length on paved pathway. The Coventry Greenway allows easy accessibility to several places within Coventry. It provides access to Herbert F. Paine Memorial Park, The Coventry Library, Deciantis Ice Cream, and the Alan Shawn Feinstein Middle School of Coventry. edit
- Coventry High School Sports and Events, 40 Reservoir Road, Coventry, RI 02816, . Coventry High School hosts a number of student based events open to the general public including band concerts, talent shows, lip-sync contests and dance recitals. These events are performed by students,faculty and staff and typically cost around 5-10 dollars at the door. High School sporting events are also held and generally have a strong community following. With a newly renovated track and football field, sporting events such as basketball and football games can be popular happenings within the town. The costs of a sporting event is generally only a few dollars and the door and students of the school will receive a small discount. The homecoming parade features student made floats and themes which starts at the High School and parades in a loop around town as one of the biggest events the school has to offer. edit
- The Greene Public Library, 179 Hopkins Hollow Road, Greene, RI 02827, ☎ +1 (401) 397-3873. </see>The Greene Public Library is a very small public library located in Greene, Rhode Island. Greene is a smaller, very rural, section within the town of Coventry. The Library also hosts many classes and events for local groups and citizens. The Greene Public Library is open every day, except Sunday and Monday. *Alpacas of Harkney Hill, 1394 Harkney Hill Road, Coventry, RI 02816, ☎ (401) 397-4761. A small, rural, bed and breakfast founded by Gloria Petroski. The farm raises friendly Alpacas and has 18 of them on sight. They also offer “pick-you-own” blueberries. It is a great family getaway, or a quaint place for your next party. edit edit
- Walmart Supercenter, 650 Centre of New England Blvd, ☎ +1 (401) 823-7780. Provides basic necessities. Open 24 hours edit
- Ocean State Job Lot, 1173 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 826-0151, . M-Sa 8AM-9PM, Su 9AM-8PM. Provides your basic necessities at affordable prices. edit
- Benny's Home & Auto Stores Inc, 495 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ ''+1 401'' 821-9729, . M-Sa 9AM-9PM, Su 9AM-5PM. Benny's offers a variety of home and lawn utilities, including appliances and electronics, lawn and garden supplies, bicycles, and auto equipment at moderate prices. A nice alternative to chain home improvement stores. edit
- Dollar Tree, 760 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 826-0247, . M–Sa 9AM–9PM, Su 10AM–7PM. Dollar Tree offers merchandise such as housewares, glassware, dinnerware, cleaning supplies, candy, snacks, food, cosmetics, toys, gifts, gift bags and wrap, party supplies, stationery, craft supplies, teaching supplies, books, seasonal décor, and more for only one dollar or less. edit
- Super Stop & Shop, 900 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 823-1515, . M-Sa 6AM-midnight, Su 7AM-9PM. Stop & Shop provides groceries and other necessities at reasonable prices. edit
- Dave's Marketplace, 23 Coventry Shopper's Park, ☎ (401)615-9975, . Monday through Saturday, 7 am to 9 pm, Sunday 7 am to 8 pm. This is the newest location in a chain of locally owned markets. Although it is smaller, it has everything one would need. Besides ingredients, they also have freshly prepared food, such as soup, sauce, prepared chicken, sushi, etc. There is even a place to eat inside the market. edit
- Nick and Nat's Furniture, 2075 Nooseneck Hill Road, ☎ (401)385-3010. Monday through Thursday 10 am to 8 pm, Fridays and Saturdays 10 am to 9 pm, Sunday 12 pm to 8 pm. New Furniture Store right on RT. 3 (Nooseneck Hill) edit
- Discounts Matter, 737 Centre of New England Blvd., ☎ (401)828-5700, . Furniture store that features furniture and mattresses that are carried at major furniture chains, but at a lower price. Located in the popular Centre of New England. edit
- Family Dollar, 10 Coventry Shoppers Park, ☎ (401)828-0540, . A store that provides items from a basic selection of clothes, to toys, to seasonal items. Although it is a value store, not everything in the store is actually a dollar. edit
- Family Dollar, 635 Washington Street, ☎ (401)821-5945, . Very similar to the Family Dollar mentioned above, but at a different location. edit
- Gendron's Jewelers, 3 Coventry Shopper's Park, ☎ (401)826-4487. A small, locally owned Jewelry shop that carries gold and diamond jewelry, as well as charm beads that are compatible with some of the popular kinds of charm bracelets. The owner is extremely friendly and helpful, if he does not have it he can ussually order it for you. edit
- CVS, 733 Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)821-2060, . Open 24 Hours. The entire store is brand new and has everything one would expect to find in a drugstore, including a 24 hour Pharmacy. edit
- Rite Aid, 719 Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)822-4800, . Has everything that one would expect to find in a drugstore/pharmacy. edit
- Summit General Store, 25 Old Summit Road, ☎ (401)397-3366, . Monday through Saturday 7:30 am to 8 pm, Sunday 8 am to 6 pm. The only general store in Rhode Island, located in the Western Part of Coventry in a village known as Greene. Summit sells farm supplies, basic groceries, feed, and also has a delibuy> *BJ's Wholesale Club, 790 Centre of New England Blvd., ☎ (401)823-9500, . Monday through Saturday 9 am to 9 pm, Sundays 9 am to 7 pm. Must have a BJ's card to shop here, and sells items in bulk for a lower price. Has groceries, electronics, clothing, etc. Also has a gas station, and features a Monro Muffler garage for car repairs, oil changes, or tires. edit edit
- Depetrillos Pizza and Bakery, 797 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 401-828-4300, . Casual, homey pizza joint which attracts customers from all over New England. Pizza comes as the cold white and red single pizza strips and in party trays (full, $14.99 or half, $8.50). They also sell hot pizza, calzone rolls, over ten kinds of small calzones, and even homemade biscuits and cookies. Just about everything is under $20.00.. edit
- Michael's Gelina's Ice Cream, 975 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 826-7374. This is the best service and ice cream in the state. Soft serve or hard, slushies, sundaes, ice cream cookies, yogurt, cabinets and milk shakes in over 50 flavors. 3-5 dollars for a cone of ice cream. Some outdoor seating, but they are located on a main road. Plenty of parking. edit
- Newport Creamery, 781 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 821-2265, . Stop in for some ice cream, or stay a while and have a fresh cooked meal in the family-friendly atmosphere. edit
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, 825 Centre of New England Blvd, ☎ +1 (401) 827-8025, . Nationwide chain with homestyle breakfast, lunch or dinner. Take a walk around the unique shop while you wait for your table. edit
- Flare, 577 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 615-8577, . T-Sa 4PM-, Su noon-8PM. A casual yet sophisticated dining experience. Modern decor with exposed rock walls, and a two-sided fireplace that warms the dining room and lounge. Full bar. edit
- Doherty's Ale House Lakeside, 446 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 828-1700. Former 'Nino's' location on the lakeside of Tiogue Lake. Specializes in large parties and events for all occasions. Features a full bar and normal dinner accommodations also. edit
- The Olde Theater Diner, 33 Sandy Bottom Road, ☎ +1 (401) 828-1810. Su-Sa 5AM-1AM. Owned by the same owners as the Middle of Nowhere Diner in Exeter, The Olde Theater Diner offers great food and drinks at reasonable prices, with pool and arcade games. Thursday nights are open mic nights, where people can sign up to play music, recite poetry, or perform comedy. The diner was once an actual movie theater in Coventry. Inside, customers will be treated to a movie theater decor. edit
- Mai Tai, 856 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 828-9998, . Su-Sa 11AM-10PM. Perfect for casual dining, Mai Tai includes a wide selection of Asian cuisine. edit
- Café Gianna, 915 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 615-0911, . M-F 7AM-9PM, Su noon-9PM. Café Gianna is open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, specializing in Italian cuisine. This restaurant has a private function room that accommodates 20 to 40 people. edit
- Deciantis Ice Cream, 1373 Main Street, ☎ +1 (401) 823-9160. Deciantis Ice Cream is a small Ice Cream shop popular to locals. It is in close proximity to the Herbert F. Paine Memorial Park. It is easily accessible by Main street or via the Coventry Greenway. edit
- Borelli’s Pastry Shop, 765 Tiogue Ave, ☎ +1 (401) 821-0130. Borelli’s is a local bakery which offers several items such as pizza, calzones, pastries, and breads. edit
- The Cozy Grill, 473 Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)821-3440, . Monday through Sunday 7 am to 10 pm, Closed Tuesdays. The Cozy Grill is a new, clean restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. edit
- Andiamo, 1650 Nooseneck Hill Road, ☎ (401)615-0600, . edit
- Applebee's, 830 Centre of New England Blvd., ☎ (401)826-0057, . Monday through Saturs\day 11:30 am to 12 am, Sunday 11:30 am to 10 pm. A restaurant in the Applebee's Bar and Grill chain. Casual restaurant with a friendly wait staff and bar edit
- Denny's Diner, 785 Centre of New England Blvd., ☎ (401)827-0321, . Open 24 hours. This restaurant is one in the chain of Denny's Diners. It is a kid friendly atmosphere and the only restaurant in Coventry (besides McDonald's) that is open 24 hrs. edit
- Papa Gino's, 1080 Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)320-1155, . Fairly new restaurant with good pizza, subs, and pasta. Also delivers. It is never really busy, which makes it a nice atmosphere. edit
- Pete's Pizza Plus, 21 Hillfarm Road, ☎ (401)397-3323. Family owned restaurant that serves pizza, pasta, spinach pies, french fries, and more. Can eat in, but is most popular for take out. Also one of the few restaurants in Western Coventry. edit
- Venus Pizza, Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)397-4558, . Monday through Saturday 11 am to 11 pm, Sunday 12 pm to 10:30 pm. Newly remodeled restaurant and has pizza, grinders, wraps, and salads. Can eat in or take out. edit
- Silverlake Pizza, 1146 Main Street, ☎ (401)828-7810. Pizza restaurant that is also the place to go in Coventry for N.Y. System style "hot weenies". Eat in or take out. edit
- Santoro's Pizza, 687 Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)821-6342. Pizza restaurant that provides a laid back atmosphere to enjoy a pizza in restaurant or for takeout. Menu options range from pizza to seafood. edit
- The Gentleman Farmer, 2405 Nooseneck Hill Rd, ☎ (401)392-0130. The Gentleman Farmer serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. The Old Gentleman Farmer (in the same spot) was demolished, and a brand new plaza was erected in its place. The Gentleman Farmer is in this new plaza, and everything inside is new and clean. The waitstaff are extremely friendly. It is most known for its good breakfast items. edit
- Subway, 2405 Nooseneck Hill Rd, ☎ (401), . Sunday 9 am to 9 pm, Monday through Thursday 7 am to 10 pm, Friday and Saturday 7 am to 11 pm. Located in the same plaza as The Gentleman Farmer, this restaurant serves subs (grinders) and a limited breakfast menu daily. edit
- Subway, 47 Sandy Bottom Road, ☎ (401)823-4300, . Located in the middle of the plazas on Sandy Bottom Road, this restaurant mirrors the others in the chain by serving sandwiches with chips and drinks and also has a limited breakfast menu. Also features an option to dine in with a small amount of tables and booths. edit
- McDonald's, 1100 Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)828-0492, . Open 24 hours. Newly renovated location. edit
- Burger King, 1145 Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)821-8511, . Another in the long line of the world famous chain. Provides the latest deals and specials from their normal menu. Features a drive-thru window and is never usually too busy bringing true meaning to fast food edit
- Dunkin Donuts, 800 Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)821-8703, . One restaurant in the chain carrying bagels, donuts, and breakfast sandwiches, available all day long. Most widely known for their drinks and their famous coffee. edit
- New England Farm and Artist, 1112 Main St. Coventry, RI. Wed-Sat 10-6, Sun 12-5. Store, art gallery and community space offering work of local artists, artisans and farmers. edit
- Cumberland Farms, 785 Tiogue Ave, ☎ (401)827-6357, . Cumberland Farms has now started carrying a menu in which you can walk up and order a hot meal like a burger, wings or even pizza. They also offer nachoes and breakfast sandwiches that can be heated up on the spot for consumption. There are a few tables and a booth to sit and enjoy the meal but all orders are made to go. edit
- Del's Lemonade, 465 Tiogue Avenue, ☎ +1 (401) 822-0344, . The local instance of the popular Rhode Island chain. edit
- Scott’s Crowebar and Tavern, 1152 Main Street, ☎ +1 (401)615-7766. M-Th 4PM-1AM, F-Sun noon-1AM. One of the oldest buildings in Coventry, Scott's Crowebar and Tavern offers a traditional wrap around bar setting with live entertainment every weekend. edit
- The Rock House, 731 Centre of New England Blvd. Coventry, RI 02816, ☎ (401) 385-3036, . edit The Rock House hosts national and local music acts. They also serve pub-style dinners and boast the best drinks in the state. The Rock House is located right off of the highway, at exit 7.
- Hampton Inn, 850 Centre of New England Blvd. (Exit 7 off Interstate 95), ☎ +1-401-823-4041, . One of several hotels located in the Centre of New England, this location was just recently developed in the past several years, and has already seen considerable use. edit
- Residence Inn, 750 Centre of New England Blvd., ☎ +1 401 828-1170, . A New addition to the Centre of New England. Offers spacious rooms with free wifi edit
- Marriott Fairfield Inn and Suites, 4 Universal Blvd., ☎ +1 (401) 821-3322, . Formerly the Wingate Inn, the Fairfield Inn and Suites is newly renovated, and is located in the Centre of New England. edit
- Camp Westwood, 2093 Harkney Hill Rd (Take Exit 6 off Route 95 and travel North on Route 3. Proceed one mile to stop light at the intersection with Harkney Hill Road. Take a left onto Harkney Hill Road and travel 4.25 miles. Westwood is on the left.), ☎ +1 401 397-7779, . checkin: 3-6PM; checkout: 11AM. A rural campground and YMCA facility for family recreation; cabins and lodges can be rented and RVs are welcome. There is a playground, althletic fields and courts, hiking trails, and a lake for swimming, boating, and fishing. Recreation for all ages! The campground is open from late Spring to early Autumn. edit
- Colwells Campground, 119 Peckham Lane (From Exit 7 off I-95: Head southwest on New London Turnpike toward Tiffany Road, then take the 2nd right onto Arnold Road. Continue onto RI-33. Turn left at Main St/RI-117 W. Continue to follow RI-117 W 3.9 mile, then take a slight right at Peckham Lane.), ☎ +1 (401) 397-4614. Located in Western Coventry, this campground offers 69 campsites from May to September. Lake Access, Restroom, Telephone, Pets Allowed, Freshwater Fishing, Waterskiing, Hiking Trail. edit
- Hickory Ridge Family Campground, 585 Victory Highway, ☎ +1 (401) 397-7474. This rural, family-oriented campground offers 200 campsites, a pool and pond, running water, activities, and a playground. edit
- Providence, a half hour away, is the regional transit hub for trips further away, such as Boston, Massachusetts. Boston is a drive away on I-95 North, or take the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) for $7.75 one way  or Amtrak  from the Providence Station, located at 100 Gaspee Street, Providence, RI 02903.