Coolgardie  is a town in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia.
The first major goldrush town is far more subdued these days.
- Coolgardie Tourist Bureau, 62 Bayley St, ☎ +61 8 9026 6090. daily 9AM-5PM. A small office in the old town hall will tell you where things are or if any roads are closed. edit
- From Perth it's 557km east on the Great Eastern Hwy, 32km short of Kalgoorlie. It passes right through the middle of town.
- From Esperance it's 368km north on the Coolgardie-Esperance Hwy.
Most of sights are along either side of a 500m stretch of Beyley St, though the street is so wide you wont want to cross it too many times.
Along the road side and on significant buildings are information board explaining the history of what stands (or once stood) here.
- Ben Prior's Park, Beyley St. A rusty collection of old mining and agricultural machinery. free. edit
- Coolgardie Cemetery, Beyley St (1km west of town). Some of the oldest headstones in the region tell a story of the fortunes and misfortunes of the early pionering prospectors. The prominent grave of legendary explorer Ernest Giles is a few rows down on to the left of entry gate. He saw out his last days in Coolgardie working in a government office. free. edit
- Jack Carin's Camp, Great Eastern Hwy (3km east of town). The ramshackle home of legendary prospector known for riding his bike into town. He was knocked from his bike and took his own life shortly after getting out of hospital. Try to ignore the huge mine only meters away. edit
- Old Post Office. At the time of its construction the local press criticized it as the most unremarkable building in town. Age has not lent it any more grace, but it's worth a look. edit
- Burra Rock, Burra Rock Rd (Take Neepan Rd from Coolgardie then). Site of an ingenious dam built to supply water to the trains of the old woodline. The dam it still full and the wall of grannite slabs that fringe the rock is a remarkable site. Picnic and campsites here only have toilets as far as facilities go. edit
- Victoria Rock, Victoria Rd (On the Holland track, 45km from Coolgardie). The largest hill in the area that gives a good view from the fairly tame peak. Camping spots are quiet and sheltered. edit
There are a couple hotels and a caravan park on the main street.
A satellite phone would be useful to have in an emergency if you intend to spend an extended amount of time off the beaten track.
- Kalgoorlie-Boulder - A booming gold mining town with enough history and vibrant eateries to fill the giant hole in the ground where its fortune comes from.