Colstrip  is a town in Southeastern Montana.
Colstrip, Montana was established in the early 20th century at the edge of Armell's Creek. The nearest towns are Lame Deer, Montana and Forsyth, Montana. Colstrip's rolling grass hills have sandstone outcroppings, ponderosa pines, and sagebrush. It is located near a coal strip mine, and coal-powered electricity generating plants. You may be visiting relatives, interviewing for a job, seeing a high school game, or just driving through, and you should enjoy Colstrip while you are here.
Colstrip is located 29 miles south of Interstate 94 on highway 39. There are no commercial buses, flights, or trains that service Colstrip. The nearest large city with a commercial airport is Billings, which is 120 miles from Colstrip. If you stay down town many businesses are within walking distance.
There is no taxi service for Colstrip. You should have your own car / motorcycle, or rental to get around.
- Contact Westmoreland Mining Company  subsidiary Western Energy for a tour of the Rosebud Mine.
- Contact PPL Pacific Power & Light , owners of the Colstrip power plants, for a tour
- Colstrip City, 12 Cherry St, Colstrip, MT 59323, ☎ (406) 748-2300, . A good starting point for travel contacts is the Colstrip City. edit
- Colstrip Park and Recreation District, ☎ 406-748-3326, . Every year on the last weekend in June, the town celebrates Colstrip Days. This is great opportunity to visit Colstrip, since there are tours, parades, plays, and other special events. edit
- Ponderosa Butte Public Golf Course, Long Drive, Colstrip, Montana 59323, ☎ (406) 748-2700, . edit
- Schoolhouse History and Art Center, 400 Woodrose Street, Colstrip, MT 59323, ☎ (406) 748-4822, . edit
- St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church, . edit
- Colstrip Town Pump, ☎ (406) 748-3533. edit
- Colstrip Super Stop, ☎ (406) 748-4514. edit
- Rosebud IGA, Inc., ☎ (406) 748-3377. edit
- K K Chinese Cafe, 17 Spruce St, Colstrip, MT 59323, ☎ (406) 748-3580. edit
- Subway, 6270 Main St, Colstrip, MT 59323, ☎ (406) 748-2101. edit
- Coal Bowl, 6111 Homestead Blvd, Colstrip, Montana 59323, ☎ (406) 748-3098, . Bowling alley, bar, restaurant edit
- Miner House Bar, 1 Cherry St, ☎ (406) 748-4112, . edit
- Whisky Gulch Saloon, 17 Cherry St, Colstrip, MT 59323, ☎ (406) 748-3570, . edit
- Fort Union Inn, 5 Dogwood St, Colstrip, MT 59323, ☎ (406) 748-2553, . edit
- Super 8 of Colstrip, 6227 Main St, Colstrip, MT 59323, ☎ (855) 875-0212, . edit
- Lake View Bed and Breakfast, . edit
Be careful when visiting bars in and around Colstrip. Be respectful, and if you enter a bar that has tree stumps chained to the floor for bar stools, be very respectful.
Nearby Forsyth Montana is a pleasant river town on the Yellowstone River, and seat of the Rosebud County. Nearby Lame Deer is located on the Northern Cheyenne Reservation, and in the summer hosts a great Pow Wow.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!