Chicama is a city in Peru 30km north of Trujillo. It should not be confused with Puerto Malabrigo, popularly known as Puerto Chicama, 20km north west of Paijan. Puerto Malabrigo/Chicama is known by surfers for having the world's longest left hand wave.
Surf the longest left hand wave in the world (this means that when you look at the sea from the beach, the wave breaks from the left to the right hand side).
If you don´t have your own surf kit, there are several options:
- Zorro´s - situated next to El Hombre hostal on the hill that overlooks the Puerto Malabrigo Beach. Rents boards and wetsuits. When the waves are big, the owner also films surfers and can make you a DVD of the ride.
- Chino Moreno - situated in town on Calle Zacna 281 opposite Puerto Malabrigo's main market. There´s a little sign saying board rental above the shop. The owner Victor rents boards and wetsuits, and has a larger selection to choose from. He has been maintaining a guestbook of surfers that have visited Chicama since 1992, and knows the area well. He can also take you on surf excursions to nearby Poemape and Pacosmayo, and arrange archaelogical tours of local pyramids (for example El Pyramide del Brujo). Home phone is (00 51) 044343017, cell is 00948573187, emails are email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org, http://chicama.weebly.com/
There are several options available in town but the nicest are up on the hill overlooking the point in Puerto Malabrigo.
- El Hombre - one of the longer standing hostals on the point. Beds start at 15 soles a night, and the family that run it are very friendly. Has a great view off the beach and the waves. Doris, the keystone of the operation can also whip up breakfast, lunch or dinner (for residents and non-residents).
- Iguana Inn Hotel- A really nice place to stay. You can use the kitchen when you want so you don't have to pay for restaurants it also has wi-fi, garage, hot water, big rooms and reasonable prices. Contact : Iguanainnperu@gmail.com
- Hotel Sueños- Located on the famous surfer's paradise of Chicama Beach, Hotel Sueños de Chicama has free Wi-Fi access and a terrace with a sea view. Each room comes with a private bathroom with hot water and TV. The hotel can provide breakfast, lunch and dinner for a fee but also you can use our kitchen when you want to make your own food. Hotel Sueños is perfect for everyone families and surfers enjoy their stay here. You will feel like home. Contact: email@example.com
Most come via Trujillo. From the Santa Cruz inter provincial bus terminal in Trujillo you can pick up a Dorado bus to Chicama. This takes approximately 2 hours, and costs 5 soles. It´s fine to put surfboards on the bus at no extra charge.
You can also take a taxi from Trujillo. One way costs approximately 120 soles, there and back costs approximately 150 soles.