Charlton is a city in Central Massachusetts.
Charlton is a small town in Massachusetts located right outside of Worcester. The town of Charlton is 50 miles or less from five major New England cities; Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Hartford and Providence.Charlton was first settled in 1735. It was established as a District separated off from Oxford on January 10, 1755, and became a Town in 1775 by a law that made all Districts into Towns.It was named after Sir Francis Charlton. During the 1800s, farming continued to be the major occupation, but woolen mills were being built along some of the town's brooks by the turn of the twentieth century.Charlton is surrounded by towns filled with history and things to do. One would not often choose Charlton as a place to visit but throughout the year there are great events that an out of towner might want to see or partake in including the Old home day and Memorial Day parades, Dudley's Strawberry Festival or Worcester's Resturant week. For someone from a big city this small town is a real culture shock yet could be enlightening to the relaxed atmosphere of its residents.
There is easy access to major highways such as I-90, I-84, I-290 and I-395.
By Train or Bus:
Take MBTA to Union Station Farms on Framingham/Worcester Line.
Union Station Farms: 20 Temple Street Worcester, MA 01604-4118(508) 792-0212
Train schedules can be found on MBTA.com.
Fly in to Worcester Regional Airport through Direct Air operated by Xtra Airways, only from Orlando, Fort Myers/Punta Gorda OR Direct Air operated by Falcon Air Express Myrtle Beach. It is about a 25 minut drive on RT. 20 to Charlton by cab.
You can also fly in to Fly in to Logan International Airport in Boston and either take the MBTA Framingham/Worcester line into Unions Station or Take I-90 W to Exit Ten tfor MA-12 towards I-395/290 toward Auburn/Worcester. http://www.loganinternationairport.com/
The only way to get around Charlton is by car. Charlton however is mainly a car driven town, even a bike would get you to most places. Parking in Charlton is not a problem. There are several community places to park your vehicle.
- Capen Hill Nature Sanctuary, 56 Capen Road. Visitor Center hours: 9 A.M. to 2 P.M. Monday-Friday. Trails are always open!. Great place to take children. edit
- Body Arts Day Spa, 155 Brookfield Road, ☎ +1-508-248-6338. edit
- Buffumville Lake Park, (Old Oxford Rd and North Buffumville Shore Road), ☎ +1-508-248-5697. The park offers picnic tables and grills, volleyball court, horseshoe pits, a swim beach, (no lifeguards, swim at your own risk), a nature trail and hiking trail, a boat ramp, and two picnic shelters. Unreserved shelters are available for use on a first come, first served basis. Interpretive programs are provided by our Park Rangers The recreation area is open from Third weekend of May through the second weekend of September from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00pm. During the rest of the year, you are invited to walk into the park during daylight hours. edit
- Charlton Library, Charlton Center, 40 Main St, ☎ +1-508-248-0452. Brand new with thousands of books and movies. edit
- Charlton Antique & Flea Mkt, 90 Worcester Rd, ☎ 508-248-6338. edit
- Charlton Orchards Farm and Winery, 44 Old Worcester Road Charlton, MA 01507 (From Worcester and Points North take Rte 290/395 South to exit 6B, (Charlton) Rte. 20 west to Charlton, follow Rte. 20 west about 5.5 miles to the Orchard. Take a left at our sign. From Springfield, Sturbridge or Points West take Interstate 90 (Massachusetts Turnpike) East to exit 9 (Sturbridge) take the Rte. 20 east exit, and follow about 7.5 miles to the Orchard. Take a right at our sign. From Boston and Points East take Interstate 90 (Massachusetts Turnpike) West to exit 10 (Auburn). Take first exit (Rte. 12 south) after the tollgate. Follow Rte. 12 South about 1 mile to Rte. 20 West. Follow Rte. 20 west about 4 more miles to the Orchard. Take a left at our sign. From Hartford and Connecticut Locations take Interstate 84 East to Sturbridge. Take the Rt. 20 east exit, and follow 7.5 miles to the Orchard. Take a right at our sign. From Eastern and Southern Connecticut Locations take Rte 395 North to exit 6B, (Charlton) Rte 20 West to Charlton, follow Rte. 20 west about 5.5 miles to the Orchard. Take a left at our sign.), ☎ +1-508-248-7820 (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are open 7 days a week, June thru January, (Hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm except Sunday and Monday, when we open @ 10:00am) and on weekends January thru May, (Hours: 12:00 pm to 4:30pm). edit
- Heritage Golf Course, 1 Sampson Road, ☎ +1-508-248-5111. Golf Course and Driving Range. Mon-Fri 6:30AM-11AM $38 for 18 holes, cart and lunch ($32 for seniors 55+). Mon-Fri 11AM-4PM $34, $47 with cart. Mon-Fri after 4PM: $21, $34 with cart. Weekends & Holiday until 3PM: $42, $55 with cart, Weekends & Holiday 3PM-6PM: $25, $38 with cart, Weekends & Holiday after 6PM: $10, $15 with cart. Children 15 and under play for free with paying parent.. edit
There are also plenty of things to do in surrounding towns. You can see a movie in Worcester, Shop or play minature golf in Auburn or visit main street in Sturbridge. Check out these wikitravel pages for more information.
109 Masonic Home Road
Charlton, MA 01507-6301
- CVS/pharmacy 142 Worcester Road, Charlton - (508) 248-5473
- J & O Donuts, 28 Worcester Rd, ☎ +1-508-248-2934. edit
- Nana Eleanors, 12 Power Station Rd, ☎ +1-508-248-9771. edit
- Dad's, 417 Worcester Rd, ☎ +1 508-248-9774. Offers a cheap but great breakfast. Dad's is a quaint diner with great service, amazing food and great service. Breakfast lunch and dinner served. Hours vary. edit
- Yankee Diner, 23 Worcester Rd, ☎ 1-508-248-7370. edit
- J & J's Cafe, 109 Masonic Home Rd, ☎ +1 508-248-7276. edit
- Wildfire Cafe, 12 Power Station Rd, ☎ +1 508-248-9771. edit
- Ronnie's Seafood, 208 City Depot Rd, ☎ +1 508-248-5024. Open seasonally for great fried seafood and ice cream. edit
- Dresser Hills Clam Box, 290 Dresser Hill Rd, ☎ +1 508-248-7870. Open seasonally. Serves variety of food including seafood, sandwiches, salads and ice cream! edit
- Zorba's Pizzeria Tavern, 132 Sturbridge Rd, ☎ +1 508-248-0433. Best Greek restaurant around. Fun atmosphere and great service. edit
- Champion Pizza 9 City Depot Rd, 1 508 248 1511. Good Pizza, compare to dominos.
- Family House of Pizza & Seafood, 104 Masonic Home Rd, ☎ +1 508-248-0666. Located in the Center of Charlton. Great homemade pizza. edit
- Mondo's, 6 Gillespie Rd, ☎ +1 508-248-5768. edit
There are not many bars in Charlton, but Worcester and other neighboring towns have several options.
- Beagle Club, 103 Bond Rd. Looking to find that town bar? This is it. Small and often packed with the "regulars". edit
Sturbridge and Auburn also have several options.
- Charlton Woods, 73 Jones Road, ☎ 508-434-0049, . checkin: 3:00 pm; checkout: 11:00 am. Offers Lodging for groups from 1 to 100. $10-$15 per person. edit
37 Main Street
Charlton, MA 01507
Phone: (508) 248-2200
A great place to go to next would be Boston. It is about 45 minutes to an hour away and is an exciting and bright city with a lot of things to do. On your way you can stop in Worcester if you have not already and then from Boston consider heading either south to the beaches of Rhode Island in South County or north to the mountains in New Hampshire.