Chalong Bay (อ่าวฉลอง Ao Chalong) is on the east coast of Phuket.
This is Phuket's principal boat anchorage and the island's largest bay, 11 kilometres south of the town. It is very picturesque but not suitable for swimming. Boats can be chartered to go to some small island south of Phuket. A number of restaurants are on the road leading to the bay.
Numerous boats span out from Chalong to nearby islands, including Ko Hae (Coral Island), Ko Racha (Ko Raya) and more.
- Wat Chalong (วัดฉลองหรือวัดไชยธาราราม). A beautiful Buddhist temple located on the southern end of the island. This is where stands the cast statue of Luang Pho Cham, who helped the people of Phuket, put down the Angyee, or Chinese Coolie Rebellion, in 1876 during the reign of Rama V. There are also statues of Luang Pho Chuang, and Luang Pho Cham, abbots of the temple during later times. Wat Chalong is about 8 kilometres outside town. Take Wichit Songkram Road to the bypass and turn left, and drive for about 10 minutes. Wat Chalong is on the left.
- Wat Laung Pu Supa (วัดหลวงปู่สุภา). A new beautiful temple built by the national famous abbot. North of Wat Chalong 1 kilometer.
- Big Buddha (พระใหญ่). A white marble Buddha statue on the top of Naka Kerd mountain. Far south of Wat Chalong 3 kilometers. High grand view over east part of Phuket island.
- Phuket Zoo (สวนสัตว์ภูเก็ต. Enjoy a wonderfully different type of zoo. Lush tropical gardens invite you to stroll around in the shade of giant trees across bridges onto islands containing all kinds of strange animals. Far north from Chalong pier 4 kilometre,on East Chaofa Rd.
As the main boat harbour for Phuket Island, most Scuba Diving companies have now relocated from other areas to Chalong. Most of Phuket's speed boat,fishing boats, snorkeling companies and yacht charter are also located here. Destinations include Coral Island, Phi Phi Island, and Koh Racha for day trips, snorkeling, diving and deep sea fishing.
Chalong has a shooting range, atv, elephant rides, go kart track, paint ball and horse riding. There are many Thai boxing or Mauy Thai training camps at Chalong, especcially on Soi Ta Eard (Boxing Street). The biggest and most famous is Tiger Mauy Thai . There is a Thai boxing ring near Chalong 5 ways junction.
One "Must Do" is to drive up to the famous Big Buddha which over looks Phuket Town, Chalong Bay, numerous islands and on a clear day even Phi Phi Island, 38 miles away can be seen.
- 1800Phuket at 48/12 Soi Sunrise for information and bookings. email: info@1800Phuket.com, tel toll free 1800Phuket or 0760383581.
In Chalong it is possible to buy scuba equipment at wholesale prices - for registered Thai companies. Diving professionals will get good deals on equipment from the local distributors. All scuba- and freediving, day trips to the islands, and fishing trips and boat charters are available. There is a large supermarket with just about everything one could need.
- Home Pro Village Chalong, Homepro Village Chalong, 10 West Chaofa Road, Chalong, Muang, Phuket 83130. Small shopping mall in Chalong including Villa Market supermarket which specialises in western foodstuffs. edit
- Asian Divers, 43/60 Moo 5, Soi Diving (on the way from the circle to Chalong Pier), . Polish diving center edit
- We Freedive (Thailand) Co., Ltd. (We Freedive), Patak Road (300m west from Chalong Circle), ☎ +66 831857289, . We Freedive have a specialty shop of high quality freediving equipment, some of which they produce themselves. Come here for custom freediving wetsuits, freediving fins and fin bags, masks, noseclips, Floats, Lanyards, ... edit
- Dive site information - close to Chalong Bay, . Local information. edit
Chalong has just about every type of restaurant. Delicious and cheap local Thai food is available as well as Italian, Mexican, Burgers, Indian, fish and chips, MK hot pot and Kentuky Fried Chicken and fresh bakeries. The area features some of the very best Thai Seafood waterfront restaurants.
- Mr. India - Best Indian food in Phuket. Patak Rd, going towards the Chalong Pier.
- Thatssani Seafood (ทัศนีย์ ซีฟูด), Ao Chalong. edit
- Kan Eng, pier Ao Chalong, ☎ 0 7638 1212. edit
- Sabai Sabai Restaurant and Cooking School (Sabai Sabai), Patak Road (300m from Chalong Roundabout towards Kata), ☎ +66896486843. Sabai Sabai has traditional Thai dishes and some favourits like the Roast Duck Pankakes and the best burger on the island. Ton, the owner, used to work as a chef in the UK before coming back to Thailand, where she now runs this very friendly and welcoming restaurant that has become a favourite with the local expats. 60-180 THB for a meal. edit
- Pa Lai Seafood (ป่าหล่ายซีฟู้ด), Soi Palai, ☎ 076283038=. Local Phuket seafood dishes with reasonable price. edit
Chalong has numerous beach front bars and street bars with working ladies and regular restaurants/bars. You can find what you are looking for, from family-friendly to prurient.
Mostly a stepping-stone for heading elsewhere, accommodation in Chalong now ranges from 200 baht for a share room to 5 star resorts. Chalong is a very good spot to stay before going diving or out on the water as it is only a short walk to the boats instead of traveling from the better known tourist areas up to one hour away.
- Happy Cottages, 10/39 Moo 5, Soi Ta - iad, Chao Fa (West) Road, ☎ (66) 76 367 437, . Their resort accommodation in Phuket, Thailand offers rooms equipped with refrigerator, fully air-conditioned. ceiling fans in living area, free internet, hot shower, safe deposit box, boil pot, daily maid service, 32' Cable-TV and DVD player. Some of its facilities and services are laundry room, saltwater swimming pool, jacuzzi, boxing camp nearby, free Internet service in the lobby, night time security, tour information and airport transfer service. Rates starts at THB 1300.00. edit
- Nomads Chalong Beach (Chalong Beach Hotel), 80 Moo 5, Chalong Beach, Rawai 83130 Phuket, . Dorm rooms and suites available. Backpackers can make full use of the hotel facilities from 400 baht to 3000 baht. edit