Center  is the seat of Oliver County, in the central area of North Dakota, about 40 miles northwest of Bismarck and Mandan. It has a population of about 678 people. Located just north of Nelson Lake, on Butte Creek. Its map coordinates are latitude 47.12 N & longitude 101.30 W.
Center celebrated its centennial anniversary in 2005 with the Old Settlers Days.
- By car: from I-94, exit 127 north onto state highway 31 for qbout 17 miles, then east 5 miles on SH 25.
- Center Mine, this coal-mining operation is located 2 miles east, 4 miles south of Center in the powerbelt area of North Dakota. Open Monday through Friday, by appointment only. Tel: (701) 794-8734. Toll-Free: (800) 799-4242 
- Milton R. Young Electric Power Generating Station, Center. Groups of five or fewer can contact plant directly, through Minnkota Power. Monday through Friday, by appointment only. Tel: (701) 794-8711. 
- Oliver County Fair usually in August.
- River People's Visitor's Center, in Cross Ranch State Park, provides informative presentations on the natural history of the Missouri River Valley and the inhabitants of the area over the past millennium. By appointment only. Tel: (701) 794-3731.
- Cross Ranch State Park, 12 miles southeast, is sited on seven miles of undeveloped Missouri river. Tel: (701) 794-3731. Fax: (701) 794-3262. Email: email@example.com 
- Boating: boat ramp to allow exploration of this scenic stretch of the river
- Fishing: fishing for walleye, pike and bass.
- Hiking: during the summer, hike through the park's trail system or nature preserve. There is a 5,000-acre dedicated nature preserve composed of mixed grass prairie, river bottom forests and woody draws.
- Cross-country skiing during the winter months.
- Primitive camping in the back-country area, hike to your camping spot. Cabin rental also available.
- Lee's Bar 101 Main St, Hensler is about 1.5 miles east of Center. Tel: (701) 794-3518
In Beulah, Washburn or Mandan.