Cayenne is the largest city in and capital of French Guiana.
French Guiana's main international port of entry is the Cayenne-Felix Eboué Airport (CAY), (formerly known as Rochambeau Airport), with daily flights mainly to the French Caribbean and mainland France.
Note that French Guiana has some different visa policies and some nationalities (Including the Brazilian one) must have a visa prior to arrival.
- Place des Palmistes is the main square in the old city of Cayenne. It is a vast park, dotted with many royal palm trees, surrounded by shops, bars, restaurants and banks. In the centre of the park stands a monument to Félix Eboué (1884-1944), a French politician and WWII Resistant, born in Cayenne.
- Fort Cépérou, the first colonial fort, was built in the middle of the 17th Century, at the top of a small hill which dominates the centre of Cayenne. The remains of the fort offer a wide view of the city of Cayenne and of the estuary of the Fleuve de Cayenne.
- Cathédrale Saint-Sauveur, the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Cayenne, is an 18th Century building.
- Traditional Creole houses (or Cases Créoles) are scattered all over the centre of Cayenne. They are built of wood and are painted in many different colours.
- Place des Amandiers is a small esplanade facing the Atlantic Ocean. It is a favourite dating place for couples and, in the evenings, a competition ground for the game of "pétanque".
Good hotels exist, but they can be relatively expensive.
- Novotel Cayenne
- Central Hotel
- Hotel la Bodega
- Best Western Amazonia
There is also Ket Tai. Single room for 43EUR, double for 50 and Triple for 60. Nothing fancy but clean and a few minutes walk from place des palmistes.
- Barbados, 16 Avenue President Monnerville, 97324 Cayenne, ☎ +594 311 034 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +594 304 094). edit
- Ecuador, 4, Bis Rue Malouet, 97332 Cayenne, ☎ +594 594 30 10 57. edit
- Germany, Blandin Guyane Energie, Carrefour de Laricot, 97351 Matoury, ☎ +594 594 35 09 97 (email@example.com). edit
- United Kingdom, 16 Avenue Président Monnerville, 97324 Cayenne, ☎ +594 311 034 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +594 304 094). edit