Cavalcante is a city in Goiás, Brazil.
With around 10.000 inhabitants, Cavalcante lies 320 km north of Brasilia, on the north side of the national park Chapada dos Veadeiros. It is an area with some tremendous hiking trails and waterfalls. Cavalcante also surrounds the Kalunga Historical Site, where descendents of slaves, called Kalunga, are still living to this day with little contact with the modern world.
In Brasilia, Empresa Santo Antonio (ESA) provides two daily lines to Cavalcante. Leaves 7:15h and 15:15h from Rodoferroviaria station. Tickets at R$ 45,15. Tel. +55 61 3233-7619 +55 61 3328-0834. It's a slow 6-hours ride.
Nowadays, the interstate bus station no longer works in the building of "Rodoferroviária". To get to the new location, just take a bus from the airport to the bus station the "Plano Piloto" (much cheaper) The Company Collective Transport of Brasilia (TCB) operates the line Executive Juscelino Kubitschek International Airport, Line n. 113 . The service is available daily from 6:30 AM to 11:00 PM with the itinerary: Airport, Ministries, Road Pilot Plan, Hotel Sectors North and South Airport. Arriving at the bus station of the "Plano Piloto" just take the subway and disembark at "Shopping Station".
To get to Cavalcante you need to go first to Brasilia. From there, take road BR-020 and drive 34 km, turn left at DF-345 to ride 10.5 km more, continue on BR-010 for 225 km. Finally, turn left at GO-241 for the last 21 km.
Another option is to hire a charter service through the number +55 61 9616-1212 or +55 62 9639-3141. They can pick you up at the hotel. R$ 45,00 per person. Currently, service is provided only in portuguese.
Cavalcante is a small town and you can easily get around on foot or by bike. But the best way to the waterfalls is by car.
A guide is highly recommended to visit the attractions listed here because most of them are in remote locations and without mobile phone network coverage. Use your discretion! Guides are available at the Tourist Information Center. Tel +55 62 3494-1507. The guides are also available to provide camping support like helping with tents and cooking.
- Ponte de Pedra (Rock Bridge). The Bridge is a rock structure made by erodion caused by the São Domingos river. It's accessible through the Renascer farm, 12km from the city center. The trail to the Bridge is not difficult nor ridiculously long, but it can be fairly taxing sometimes. So you are advised to save your energy and to not go jumping around like a bear on Gummiberry juice. You can refresh yourself before going up to the Bridge by swimming in the pond of the Renascer waterfall and in the lake just below the Bridge. From the Bridge, you can climb a little bit more to see the Rio Claro valley. You can even ask the guide to wait for the sunset on the top of the mountain (in that case, bring flashlights because you will come back in the dark). You can also do a longer trekking around the area of the Bridge, where you can visit the 7 Quedas (seven falls) and the Buraco da Jandaia (Jandaia's hole). Ask your guide for more details. R$ 5. edit
- Santa Bárbara Waterfall, Engenho II settlement. One of the most beautiful waterfalls in the area. It's reached by going into the Kalunga settlement Engenho II, 25 km from the city center. From there, it's an easy 5 km trail through flat dirt terrain, hills and flower fields. You can hire guides directly at the settlement. For the best swimming and photographing experience, you should go early in the morning and stay until 15h. edit
- Cachoeiras do Prata (Waterfalls of the Prata river), Estrada Cavalcante-Minaçu, km 60 (take the road to Minaçu and follow the signs. Watch out for the dirt road and the heavy trucks.). The entrance to these waterfalls is 63km from the town center. It's actually a place where you can see 9 waterfalls. The biggest (and furthest) ones are the Rei do Prata (King of Prata) and the Urubu Rei (King Vulture), right after the former. The King is about 7 km away from the property entrance and it can be reached through a fairly easy trail. You just need time and patience to get there. If you have a 4WD car, you can drive to a bit more than 1/3 of the distance to the waterfall. You can also camp nearby the waterfalls and at the entrance. For the best experience, you should spend 2 days there. 1 day for the King and the second one to get back and enjoy the other waterfalls. R$ 5. edit
Most of the Waterfalls will provide you a hiking experience with easy, moderate or difficult trails. Some of them can also be visited by mountain bike.
- Visit the Kalunga communities - The Kalunga People are the descendents of escaped slaves who lived in isolated communities without contact with the outside world until fairly recently. They have a number of interesting traditions that they have carried on for centuries. The are noted for their festivals and their hospitality.
There's a small selection of local handcrafted products. Nothing special. Ask the guides at the information center.
- Pizza Roots, Rua Eujácio de Souza Qd 20 (Near the exit road to ''Colinas do Sul''), ☎ +55 62 9959-5233 (firstname.lastname@example.org). thu-mon 19h til 24h. Great pizza made on wood oven. Big selection of toppings and good ambience. edit
- Amor a Gaia Bistro, Road to Colinas do Sul, km 0, ☎ +55 62 3494-1303. only by request/reservation. Vegetarian menu edit
- Max Restaurante, Rua do Dendê, 49, Centro, ☎ +55 62 3494-1607. Open everyday for lunch and dinner. edit
- Flor do Cerrado, Praça Diogo Teles Cavalcante, Qd. 11, Lt 88, ☎ +55 62 9634-1079. 8h - 22h. edit
- Cervejaria Artesanal Aracê (Craft brewer Aracê), Rua do Rosario Qd 23 Lt 182, ☎ +55 62 9804-2501 (email@example.com). Aracê is a lager craft beer brewed by Monolo and Soledad, a chilean couple who happens to live in Cavalcante. Production is limited but is usually available bottled in the restaurants or directly in the brewery on tap. edit
- Pousada Chalés do Lago, Rua José Paulino Silva, Qd 26- Lt 211 Centro, ☎ +5562 3494-1421. edit The manager is a Kalunga woman and also a guide.
- Pousada Vale das Araras (Pousada Vale das Araras), Estrada Cavalcante - Colinas do Sul, km 3 (3km from the city center), ☎ +55623459-0007 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 14:00h; checkout: 12:00h. singles from R$ 110,00. edit Very nice lodge!
- Pousada Morro Encantado, Rua João Guilhermino Magalhães, Qd. 27, Lt. 230, ☎ +556234941079 (email@example.com), . edit
- Pousada Aldeia Cayana, Estrada Colinas do Sul Km 4 (4km from the city center. Take the road to Colinas do Sul), ☎ +55619839-5598, +55613245-7735, +55629975-8874, . singles from R$ 80,00. edit Offers bungalows made of typical Kalunga finishing. Located in a beautiful site, at the São Bartolomeu riverbank.
Chapada dos Veadeiros
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!