Castelo Branco is a city in central Portugal, in Beira Baixa. Centre of Portugal locates White castle in the region and it is a capital of the District of White Castle (which limits correspond, approximately, to the ancient Province of the Low Bank). All his points of interest can be visited in an alone day, but, for whom it wants to know the region, White Castle offers a privileged location, since from this city it is possible to agree so easily to the Natural Park of the International Tagus how to the Natural Park of the Mountain range of the Star, so easily to the prairie of To The Idanha-piece of news I eat to the zone of the Pine forest..
 Get in
Train CP (Portuguese National Railways) offers various daily rail links between Lisbon and Beira Baixa. The trip-time between Lisbon and Castelo Branco varies between 2:40 hours and 3:15 hours (depending upon class of train). In the Lisbon-Oriente train station there is also a rail link to the south of the country and in the Entroncamento station there is a rail link to the northern reaches, as well as international service to France and Spain. The train is safe, comfortable, and for those who opt to travel in this fashion, it is the offers the best views of the River Tejo. Schedules, prices can be viewed on the CP website (www.cp.pt), on which tickets can also be purchased.
 Get around
The CP - Trains of Portugal effectuates several daily connections between Lisbon and the Low Bank. The travel time between Lisbon and White Castle varies between 2:40 (Intercities) and 3:15 (Regional). In the station of Lisbon - orient there is connection for the south of the country, in the station of the Junction there is connection for the north and international services for France and Spain. The consultation of time-tables, prices and the purchase of tickets can be effectuated in the page of the enterprise. The train is safe, comfortable and a friend of the environment. It adds still the advantage of offering, when whom Tagus is opting for this means of transport, the beautiful scenery of the valley of the river with sight privileged on the Castle of Almourol and the Doors of Ródão.
Besides being the economical form of travelling, the net of definite buses covers the whole national territory. Consultation of time-tables, prices and purchase of tickets in the site of the National Net of Expresses
[add listing] See
• Castle of the Templários - Was built by the Templários between 1214 and 1230, with alterations in the reign of D. Dinis. At present, there remain a piece of junk of wall and the tower of donjon of the ancient palace of the comendadores. Inside the perimeter of the walls there is the Saint's church Maria of the Castle, first womb of the zone. Of the top the sight is haughty, when any city is comprised, the involving prairie and, in the distance, for north, the mountain ranges of the Star and of the Gardunha.
• Garden of the Episcopal Palace - The Garden of the Episcopal Palace is one of the most extraordinary baroque Portuguese gardens and, for you alone, it would justify the visit to the city. D. John de Mendonça was built in the century XVIII, for initiative of the first Bishop of White Castle, next to then palace, winter residence of the Bishop of the Police that today provides lodging for the Museum Junior Tavares Proença. The garden is only for his originality and elegance. Of baroque inspiration, between his avenues of box trees numerous statues from granite are, representing, between others, four parts of the World when (Europe, Asia, Africa and India) were then known, the signs of the Zodiac, the stations of the year and his months. Of his great lake, where it comes to give Moisés's waterfall, they break two monumental staircases, that of the Kings and of the Apostles.
• Of pointing out that in the evocative one of the Kings of Portugal, the representations of the Filipes of the Third Dynasty, as well as that of the Cardinal-king, D. Henry, for his Castilian sympathies, was sculpted in less dimensions than the rest.
• Church of Saint Miguel (Cathedral Concatedral) - Was rebuilt in the séc. According to style XVII of Renaissance (in the same place there was another church built probably in the séc. XVII or XIV, which was very much ruined in the last quarter of the séc. XVIII). It has only a nave, which is separated of the chapel - mor by a beautiful arch renascentista, in whose fastening is the coat of arms of arms of D. Of I Make Martim Afonso sticky, act as a bishop of the Police. Been considered a property of public interest in 1978.
• Saint's Church Maria of the Castle - Was suffering many alterations along the time that modified completely the original aspect. This small church if it is situated in the highest part of the city, near the tracks of the castle. Such as this one will have been established by the Templários that, after the Christian reconquest they were, during decades, men of this zone.
• Chapel of the Lady of the Piety - The inner walls of this temple, about which the date of the foundation is not known, are covered of beautiful ceramic tiles of the séc. XVIII, which represent religious subjects: scenes of the life of the Virgin Maria, the Apostles, the Last supper of Jesus, etc.
• Small church of Our Lady of Mércoles - One Treats as a temple of characteristics Gothic-slow, connected with one of the most popular worships of the city, it of Our Lady of Mércoles. Two square turrets that flank the front, advanced regarding the front and ended with pyramidal covering, give him a curious aspect. The interior, of a nave, presents the walls covered to ceramic tiles of the century XVI.
Museums • Museum of Junior Francisco Tavares Proença, . • Museum Cargaleiro, . • Museum of Religious Art " Sundays of Santos Pio " - Was inaugurated to 11 of November of 1984 and it is installed in the Convent of the Grace. Between the estate of the museum we find two Cristos crucified in ivory of the century XVI and XVII and a Christ in wood painted with oriental forms.
[add listing] Do
[add listing] Buy
[add listing] Eat
[add listing] Drink
[add listing] Sleep
Set on the slopes of the Esperança Mountain, at just over 1 km from the town of Belmonte, the birthplace of Pedro Álvares Cabral, the Pousada Convento de Belmonte results from the renovation of the former Nossa Senhora da Esperança Convent. Inside, the chapel and sacristy have been converted into a lounge and bar a good example of the harmonious blend of historical architecture and modern construction and comfort.
The area of Proença is full of pine trees. In the sizzling inland summers, the green sea of pines hardly stirs, the brilliance is dazzling, the light burns and fixes the contrasts between the white of the houses and the walls, stones and flowers.
 Get out