: South America
: Northern Chile
: Caldera and Bahía Inglesa
Caldera is a town on the coast of Northern Chile. It has a pleasant main square and some beaches, but most people going to the beach head to nearby Bahía Inglesa.
There is a bus station about two blocks from the main square. In addition, all buses going to and from Copiapó can let you off near Caldera on Route 5. It's about a 30 minute walk to the center.
- Parque Nacional Pan de Azúcar, (Near Chañaral), . National park, 100Km north from Caldera. There are 19 endemic species of cactus. Make sure you visit the island Pan de Azucar to see the penguins and go to the mirador for the amazing views. You can see guannacos in the way to mirador. Rodrigo (Geotours) is the only tour operator working all year. Professional and with knowledge about all the region (www.geotours-chile.cl , (09)82935042, [email protected]) $2500. edit
- Zoologico de piedras (Stone zoo), (On the road to Pan de Azucar, 12Km from Caldera). Interesting erosioned rocks with different shapes. Free. edit
- Playa la Virgen, (60Km South from Caldera). Considered the most beautiful beach in Chile. Free. edit
- Santa Isabel, (two blocks north from main square). For all your supermarket needs. edit
- La casa de la empanada II, Calle Carvallo (5 blocks from the main square, in front of the soccer stadium), ☎ (052)315972, . 12 PM - 11 PM from Monday to Sunday. By far best empanadas in town with more than 30 different to choose. Also good variety of fresh fish, seafood and meat. From Monday to Friday awsome daily menu for $4500. Average price, but the quality of the food is above average. edit
- Kavana, Carvallo, 299A (a block or two away from the main square, towards Route 5). Juices, drinks, cocktails, and snacks. Computers with internet ($600/hour or so) and wi-fi! edit
- Residencial Millaray, Cosiño, 331 (on the square). Simple accomodation, you can use the kitchen. 7000-8000. edit
- Residencial San Vicente, el Algarrobo 425 (2 blocks behind the church), ☎ (052)317008. Family owned place, recently open (Aug 2012), very clean, very comfortable beds, cable TV, kitchen avaliable with all facilities. [email protected] edit
There is a woman who does a laundry service out of her house. If you are in the main square facing the church, walk up (south) on the street on the right of the church. In about 2 or 3 blocks, there is a sign for Lavandería and it has the address. You can also ask, everyone seems to know it.
- Bahía Inglesa - a lovely yet windy beach about 20 minutes away by collectivo. Costs about $1000 to get there.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!