Călan is a town in Hunedoara county in Transylvania.
Calan is situated on the Strei river valley, at 230 m altitude.
Fourteen villages are administered by the town: Batiz, Călanu Mic (Kiskalán), Grid, Nădăştia de Jos (Alsónádasd), Nădăştia de Sus (Felsőnádasd), Ohaba Streiului (Sztrigyohába), Sâncrai (Szentkirály), Sântămăria de Piatră (Kőboldogfalva), Strei (Zeikdorf; Zeykfalva), Strei-Săcel (Sztrigyszacsal), Streisângeorgiu (Sztrigyszentgyörgy) and Valea Sângeorgiului (Szentgyörgyválya).
Material traces found in the city and the villages constituted evidence of human existence since ancient Neolithic (5500-3500 BC). Calan is known since Roman times, as a thermal water resort,called Aquae. Kalan in Hungarian means recess in a rock, spoon-shaped,in which one can take a bath in thermal waters.Calan became a town in 1387.
Every day there are trains connecting Calan with Bucharest,Timisoara,Cluj-Napoca,Arad,Deva,etc.
Calan is situated on the european road E 79 between Simeria and Hateg.
Bucharest is 380 km away from Calan.
Timisoara is 175 km away from Calan.
Cluj-Napoca is 162 km away from Calan.
Deva,capital of Hunedoara County is 25 km away from Calan.
Calan is a small town and you can visit the town on foot.One can also take a taxi.
- Old Furnace. Monument of industrial architecture. edit
- Strei Church. Strei Church was built from a bell tower, which incorporated outside a Roman sarcophagus fragment and a rectangular altar, distributed along the east west axis. Bell tower, with three floors, is impressive by masonry with golden patina,decoration of noble sobriety. Church building is dated from the late XIII century - the beginning of the fourteenth century. edit
- Streisângiorgiu Church. Considered the oldest Romanian medieval monument. It was built by the family Balea before the twelfth century on the site of a wooden church which was built in VII-VIII centuries AD.For the claim that the church is very old, advocates a series of arguments:on the church walls was found an inscription in Slavonic from 1314, and in 2 tombs were found coins from the time of King Bela (1131 - 1141 AD). edit
- Swim at Călan-Băi Resort. Aquae baths are on the left bank of the river Strei,at an elevation of 230 m above sea level. They are situated about 2 km north of Călan on road DN 66 (E 79). Following the small height of the hills surrounding the baths,to the east one can see Sebes Mountains, north Metaliferi Mountains, west Poiana Ruscă Mountains and to the south Retezat Mountains with their highest peaks Peleaga (2509 m), Păpușa (2508m ) and Retezat (2482m), covered almost 9 months per year, with snow. It is likely that the healing waters of the baths, have been used before the Roman occupation, because in these places have lived Dacians and the settlement was called Idata. edit
- Hotel Batiz 4*, Batiz 73. edit
Calan area code is 254 for Romtelecom and 354 for RDS.If you are calling from Romania you must dial 0254(0354) and if you are calling from abroad you must dial +40254(+40354).
- Deva,25 km from Calan.Deva is the capital of Hunedoara County with Deva Citadel an impressive medieval fortress,built in the 13th century and unfortunately, partially blown up in 1849.Located on a hill overlooking the city.
- Retezat National Park
- Hunedoara is 20 km away.Here you can visit Hunyad Castle.
- Hateg is 17 km away.In Hateg you can visit the European Buffalo Reservation.Prislop Monastery is 13 km away.You can see also Colt Monastery and Colt Fortress.
- Orastie is 25 km away from Calan and from here you can go an see Dacian Fortresses of the Orastie Mountains or you can relax at Geoagiu resort.
- Petrosani is 65 km away.From Petrosani you have access to Parang and Straja,the most two important winter resorts in Hunedoara County.