Ma'adi a suburban district of Cairo, to the south of the city center on the eastern bank of the Nile, consists of two distinct areas, Old Ma'adi and New Ma'adi . Ma'adi was established in 1904, when a railway was built through the area, connecting Cairo and Helwan to the south. The New Ma'adi and extension grew outwards and includes the area of Digla.
Ma'adi is easily accessible on three stations of Metro line 1 as well as the Ring Road.
- Hashemite Villa, 15 Malika Dina St Ma'adi. Home of the late King Hussein of Jordan and his first wife Dina Abdel Aziz Ouan whilst they courted and married in Ma'adi Cairo April 15th 1955. The villa was actually abandoned for a long while, but recently repainted and refurbished and turned into office space for a petroleum company. edit
- Nile Crystal (Dinner cruise), Maadi Road and Corniche el-Nil. Features two dining rooms, serving mainly Egyptian cuisine, along with belly dancing, music and Tanoora dancers. edit
- Wadi Digla Protected Area, (You can take a taxi from Ma'adi to the entrance at Wadi Dilga. Taxi drivers in Ma'adi should know where to go.). A 60 square kilometer, near Ma'adi, that offers opportunity for taking a trek, jogging, rock climbing, and cycling. Wadi Digla is also a good spot for bird watching, and viewing the various reptile species, plants, and deer that reside there. To get out of the park, either pay to have the taxi wait, or it's a 15 minute walk out to the main road where you can catch another taxi. If you do walk out to the main road, do be aware that a pack of dogs hangs out around the park entrance. 5 LE for foreigners, and an extra 5 LE to bring a car into Wadi Digla. edit
- M/S Nile Crystal Cruise, Maadi Road and Corniche el-Nile, ☎ +20124347988. edit
Most locals shop at the Ma'adi Mall, home to shops, restaurants and a movie theatre. There are many small shops on Rd. 9, featuring jewellery, clothing, electronics, etc. A local farmer's market exists behind the Ma'adi metro station, adjacent to Rd. 9.
Road No. 9 provides a host of restaurants and the gamut of American fast food franchises.
- Café Greco, 64 Road 9, ☎ 2380 9326. Place to get coffee and enjoy home-made waffles. edit
- Euro Deli, 35 Road 232 (off of Road 213), ☎ 251 700 35. edit
- Fish Market, Corniche El Nil. A pleasant fresh fish restaurant with a wide range of choice and good service. Choose your fish on ice before it is cooked. Fruit and alcoholic drinks available. Prices around EGP 120 per person including wine but strongly dependent on what fish you choose. (29°57'18.50N,31°15'10.94E) edit
- Fusion Restaurant, Corniche el-Nil. Situated along the Nile, Fusion serves Asian cuisine. edit
- Gaya, 32 Road 253, New Maadi, ☎ 251 998 60. Serves Chinese and Japanese cuisine. edit
- Jared's Bagels, 82 Road 9 (Near the Maadi Metro Station), ☎ 012-788-8702, . 6:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.. Numerous varieties of bagels, along with muffins, scones, Belgian waffles, and other options. Wi-fi available. edit
- La Rosa, 19 Road 231, New Maadi, ☎ 251 67337. Serves pizza, pasta, and other Italian cuisine. edit
- Lan Yuan, 84 Road 9. 11 AM - Midnight. Chinese food ranging from dumplings, fried rice, and various rice, noodle, meat, and vegetable dishes, along with deep-fried bananas topped with ice cream for dessert. Eat in or delivery. edit
- Lucille's, Road 9 (near the Sakanat Maadi metro station). American diner named after owner Lucille Crooks. Improbably enough, according to Time magazine, they serve what may be the best burger in the entire world; perhaps a small exaggeration, but you'll certainly be hard put to find a better one in Egypt. Just don't expect any pork in your BBQ "bacon" burger. Also, a good place for American-style breakfast. edit
- TGI Fridays. Outlet of the American restaurant chain located along the Nile in Ma'adi. edit
- Alwadi cafe, shamal tora street with 233 (before kada buildings,degla entrance), ☎ 01115144468, . 10am:2am. serving delicious pizza,dishes, sandwiches, and drinks.Big playground area for kids is available. edit
- Fish Market, Corniche el Nil (Near Maadi's main Midan on the Nile). A pleasant fresh fish restaurant with a wide range of choice and good service. Choose your fish on ice before it is cooked. Fruit and alcoholic drinks available. Prices around EGP 120 per person including wine but strongly dependent on what fish you choose. (29°57'18.50N,29°57'18.50N) edit
- Red Onion, 27 A Road 276, New Maadi, ☎ 252 002 40. edit
- Tabasco, 45, Road 7, ☎ 235 912 22. edit
Ma'adi's location away from both the city center and the Pyramids makes it a poor choice for sightseeing.
- Maadi Hotel, 19 Misr Helwan Road, ☎ +20-2-23585858, . Once a four-star hotel, now distinctly worse for the wear. $85. edit
- Sofitel Maadi Towers (Sofitel Cairo Maadi Towers and Casino), Cornish El Nil, Maadi, ☎ +20-2-25260601, . checkout: 12:00. Nile views for some, heated pool and a casino in a conventional tall box skyscraper building 12 km from downtown. A 5 star hotel in a good state of repair with well furnished rooms and comfortable beds. Generally rooms are well lit and decorated with pictures, with a minibar, room safe, and a broadband cable connection (EGP 3.90/min, up to 155/day). Wireless internet is also available. Rooms are narrow (10' or 3m), perhaps to maximise the number overlooking the Nile view which is splendid, including, through the haze, pyramids at Giza, Saqqara and Dhahsur and a foreground of reeds, fields and palms on the farther Western bank of the Nile. Food is quite OK but uninspiring though the Nile view from the restaurant helps. Reception is secured and pleasant but not in a grand hotel style. Restaurants on the Nile are walking distance if you want them. $170. (29°57'39.35N,31°14'51.82E) edit
- River Nile Hotel, 16 cornishe Ilnile, Maadi, Cairo, ☎ +20107908989. checkin: 12.00pm; checkout: 12.00am. 3 stars hotel, 5 minutes awalk from the Kutseka metro station. Advantagely situated directly on the Cornishe Innile (the river Nile street), many rooms offer a magnificient view of the Nile valey and the Giza piramides. 35 rooms, 50 $ for a single room for foreigners, 65 $ for double room for foreigners. Prices include breakfast, taxes and services. edit
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language