Cahuita is a town on Caribbean Costa Rica, south of Limon and just north of Puerto Viejo.
View down a dirt road of Cahuita
There are several buses departuring San Jose to Cahuita from 6AM till 4PM. There are additional buses between Puerto Limon and Sixaola which pass by Cahuita. From San José the cost is about $4 and from Limon about $1.50
Taxis from Puerto Limon cost in the region of $15 and from San José costing about $150.
Cahuita is a pretty small town which allows you to walk everywhere and see beautiful Caribbean wood houses (nice internal roads).
US Dollars are accepted everywhere but each individual or business has their own personal exchange rate (sometimes up to 55 colones per dollar below bank rate), its recommended to change around $30 to $60 dollars in the local BCR bank (Bus Stop Plaza) to colones; Another risk of using dollars that you're susceptible of a local $20 bill scam, where they force you to give another bill or they will contact local police stating is a fake bill.
- Playa Negra, (North of town). edit
- Playa Blanca, (South side of town). White sand beach, picnic tables, bathrooms. edit
- Cahuita National Park, (Entrance south of the town center). edit
- Relax on the beautiful beaches around Cahuita during the day and have some drinks in the few bars in town. Playa Negra, a ten minute walk north of town on the main road, is good for swimming.
- Walk through the National Park of Cahuita. A voluntary donation to support the park is requested. If you walk to the Puerto Vargas ranger station on the opposite end of the park you can catch a public bus back to Cahuita. Stand on the northbound side of the road when the bus approaches, 400 colones as of March 2012.
- Tree of Life (Wildlife Rescue Center &Botanical Gardens), Playa Grande (2 km north of Cahuita center on big beach (follow the signs)), ☎ 87235616, . 3. The botanical gardens have hundreds of different kinds of palms, heliconias, bromelias and many others. Visitors will experience an experience with the plants and animals of the tropical rainforest, nature walks under the canopy, many paved walkways, a beautiful beach in front of gardens, a nursery with export plants, close-up encounters with rescued animals and a gift shop. $ 12. edit
- Willie's Tours CR, Cahuita Main Road ((Blue wooden house 2 blocks north of Parquecito center of Cahuita)), ☎ 2755-1024, . 8am-7pm Monday-Saturday, closed for lunch 12-2pm, Open Sundays 4-7pm. A local tour agency offering snorkeling & hiking in the National Park, chocolate tours with the Bribri people, Tortuguero "Amazon", Bocas del Toro islands, Kekoldi Indigenous Reserve hiking & waterfall, whitewater rafting, canopy zip-lining, sloth sanctuary and other tours. Varies. edit
There are a few souvenir shops in town. Little grocery store sell the most important stuff.
There are 3 small grocers in all. A fruit store in the bus station plaza, and a small fruit stand off of principal calle. A bakery out on the main road.
There is also a sweet little art gallery with artist studios, run by a local family of artists, mom, pop, son and daughter, which also carries a bit of art from other local artists. The art is all local, vibrant and beautiful, capturing the local flora and fauna of the area.
Sobre Las Olas, Playa Negra Road (5-10 minute walk outside town, on the right), ☎ 2755 0109. 12pm-10pm, closed Tuesdays. edit Nice seafood restaurant. Get there early, if possible, or make a reservation and claim an outdoor table with a gorgeous view of the ocean waves. Service is slow, but this just means more time to enjoy the view.
Restaurante Vista del Mar, (Next to White Beach Entrance), ☎ +506 2755 0008. 10-7. Restaurant (nice rice & beans), Bar, Hotel and parking lot. (9.7365312,-82.839666) edit
There are several Hostels in almost all price classes. On the Playa Negra you can camp for free right on the beach for one night or ask in the hostels if they allow you to pitch your tent in the yard for a couple of dollars. In exchange you can use their showers and restrooms.
- El Encanto Bed & Breakfast, Playa Negra (Just north of town), ☎ +506 2755-0113, . Small high quality hotel 5 minutes walking from the village and close to the Cahuita National Park where sloths, monkeys, birds and other types of wildlife can be seen. The beach is just 100m. dbl from $60. (9.73966,-82.84584) edit
- Hotel Magellan Inn, Big Beach (Playa Grande, 200 meter from the beach, and 1 1/2 miles from the center), ☎ 506 27 55 00 35, . checkin: noon; checkout: noon. Comfortable, clean rooms with air condition, wi-fi, coffee makers, hot running water, big out door terraces over-looking beautiful exotic gardens and swimming pool settled in an ancient coral reef. Breakfast included. From $50. edit
- La Piscina Natural, Playa Negra (approximately 2km north of town), ☎ 2755 0146. checkout: noon. Small hotel with five newly remodeled, comfortable rooms with fans, hot water, and mosquito nets. Some units offer three beds. The garden is wonderfully landscaped with gorgeous views of the Caribbean. There is also a lovely, natural swimming pool on the property for which the hotel is named. Numerous hammocks hang from sprawling walnut trees which are inhabited by two tree sloths. Accepts cash only, colones or dollars. There is free coffee and use of community kitchen 6AM-11AM every morning. Double $35, triple $45. edit
- Secret Garden, (Turn right from the busstation and follow the signs). checkout: 1100. Nice Dutch owned hostel. Clean rooms. Good location! 9 dollar pp. edit
- Shangri-La Hostel, Main Road. Large yard, hammocks, internet use $11. edit
- Hotel Magellan Inn, Big Beach (Playa Grande, 200 meter from the beach, and 1 1/2 miles from the center), ☎ 506 27 55 00 35, . checkin: noon; checkout: noon. From $50. edit
Cahuita Bus Terminal. Several busses heading to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Puerto Limon, Sixaola and San José.