Burlington  is a city in Southeast Iowa. Burlington was the second territorial capital of Wisconsin Territory and later the first capital of the Iowa Territory. It is located on the West bank of the Mississippi River and has a population of about 25,000.
Burlington is located along the East-West US Highway 34, which runs through downtown and across the Mississippi River into Illinois and the North-South US Highway 61.
Amtrak provides passenger rail service via the California Zephyr (Trains 5 and 6) which stops at the Burlington Station on runs between Chicago and Emeryville (San Francisco). The station is located in downtown Burlington, and is currently an unstaffed station without an Amtrak agent. As such there is no checked baggage service for passengers departing from Burlington, and tickets should be purchased in advance via Amtrak or a travel agency.
Air Choice One , an Essential Air Service (EAS) contracted carrier, provides multiple flights per day to both Chicago-O'Hare and St. Louis from the Southeast Iowa Regional Airport , located on the southern edge of town.
Alternatively, one can fly into the Quad City International Airport in Moline (approximately 60 miles Northeast of Burlington) which is served by Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and United Airlines and then rent a vehicle to drive to Burlington.
Burlington is served with intercity bus service by Burlington Trailways service from the Burlington Trailways depot located in neighboring West Burlington.
The easiest mode of transport for getting around Burlington and surrounding areas is via car. However, the City of Burlington also runs the Burlington Urban Service (BUS) , which has six bus routes that run through Burlington and West Burlington. A one-way fare currently costs $1.25.
Currently, Avis and Enterprise Rent-a-Car are the only providers of rental cars in Burlington. Avis is located in the Southeast Iowa Regional Airport passenger terminal while Enterprise is located on the North side of town on US Highway 61.
- Avis, 2501 Summer Street, ☎ +1 (319) 754-5187, . edit
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car, 2209 N Roosevelt Ave, ☎ +1 (319) 754-1500, . edit
Downtown Burlington's 'crookedest street in the world', Snake Alley. Like a miniature version of San Francisco's Lombard Street.
- Port of Burlington Welcome Center, 400 N Front St., ☎ +1 (319) 752-8731, . Located in a building that once housed the Burlington Municipal Docks, the State of Iowa maintains a welcome center inside with various exhibits and a small gift shop. edit
- Des Moines County Historical Society, N 3rd St. site of old public library. Now home to Historical Society. Changing exhibits creates fresh interesting local history. edit
Nature and Parks
- Starr's Cave Park and Preserve, 11627 Starr's Cave Road, ☎ +1 (319) 753-5808, . A 184 acre nature reserve and park located on the Flint Creek just North of Burlington that features trails and picnic areas. The namesake cave in the park is currently closed to prevent the spread of white-nose syndrome in the bats that are in residence there. edit
- Crapo Park, . This park is the largest city park in Burlington featuring trails, playgrounds, an outdoor amphitheater, picnic shelters, Lake Starker, an arboretum, and historical monuments spread out over 85 acres. edit
- Burlington Bees Baseball, 2712 Mt. Pleasant St, ☎ +1 319 754-5705, . Minor league baseball team. The season runs from the second week in April to the second week in September. $6-8, as little as $1 on promotion days. edit
- Catfish Bend Casino, 3001 Winegard Dr, ☎ +1 (866) 792-9948, . edit
- Burlington Steamboat Days, . A yearly festival that takes place in downtown next to the Mississippi River typically in the summer featuring carnival rides and live music. edit
- Westland Mall, 550 S. Gear Ave, West Burlington, IA 52655, ☎ +1 (319) 753-2891, . edit
- The Iowa Store, 400 Front Street, (toll free: +1 (866) 753-5314), . Gift shop that sells Burlington and Iowa themed gifts; located in the Iowa Welcome Center edit
- Burlington By The Book, 301 Jefferson St #3, ☎ +1 (319) 753-9981, . Local bookstore located in Downtown Burlington. edit
- Big Muddy's, 710 N Front St, ☎ +1 (319) 753-1699, . edit
- The Drake, 106 Washington St, ☎ +1 (319) 754-1036, . edit
- Martini's Grille, 610 N 4th St #400, ☎ +1 (319) 752-6262, . edit
- Motos Public House, 122 N 4th St, ☎ +1 (319) 754-1965. edit
- Gator's Grill & Spirits, 3313 E Agency St, ☎ +1 (319) 753-2534, . edit
- Paddlewheel Lounge, 613 Jefferson St, ☎ +1 (319) 752-5934. edit
- The Buffalo Tavern, 2016 S Main S, ☎ +1 (319) 754-4338. edit
- Beat Tavern, 1702 Harrison Ave, ☎ +1 (319) 752-9280. edit
- Shamrock Pub, 609 S Main St, ☎ +1 (319) 752-9187. edit
- Crazy Coyote, 2505 Mt Pleasant S, ☎ +1 (319) 752-5001. edit
- Iowa Tavern, 2103 Des Moines Ave, ☎ +1 (319) 753-2634. edit
- Irish Pub, 1401 Osborn St, ☎ +1 (319) 752-7399. edit
- PZAZZ! Resort Hotel, 3001 Winegard Dr, ☎ +1 (319) 372-2946, . edit
- Catfish Bend Inn & Spa, 3001 Winegard Dr, ☎ +1 (866) 792-9948, . edit
- Fairfield by Marriott Burlington, 1213 N Roosevelt Avenue, ☎ +1 (319) 754-0000, . edit
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Burlington, 1605 N Roosevelt Ave, ☎ +1 (319) 752-0000, . edit
- Comfort Suites, 1780 Stonegate Center Drive, ☎ +1 (319) 753-1300 (fax: +1 (319) 753-1312), . edit
- Super 8 Burlington, 3001 Kirkwood St, ☎ +1 (319) 752-9806. edit
- Howard Johnson Burlington, 2759 Mt Pleasant St, ☎ +1 (319) 237-8000, . edit
- Geode State Park is located 20 minutes from Burlington near the Neighboring towns of Middletown and Danville. Named after the geode, a hollow rock that is lined with crystals and are abundant in the area, provides outdoor recreation including camping, hiking, swimming, and boating.
- The Quad Cities of Davenport, Bettendorf, Moline, and Rock Island are located approximately 1.5 hours North of Burlington.
- Fort Madison is located approximately 25 minutes South of Burlington along US Highway 61. Also a river town, visitors can check out the reconstructed fort that the city is named for.
- Mount Pleasant, located West of Burlington on US Highway 34 is home of Iowa Wesleyan University and the Midwest Old Threshers.
|Routes through Burlington
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!