Bruny Island  is in the state of Tasmania in Australia.
Home to the South Bruny National Park, the island offers stunning natural beauty partnered with a range of boutique accommodation, food and tour experiences.
The highly acclaimed Bruny Island Cruises  cruise was this year named one of the top 100 experiences in the world by Travel and Leisure Magazine, and the company is also the Australian Small Business of the Year, Tasmanian Business of the Year and First-Generation Family Business of the Year.
Bruny Island is also home to the southern-most licenced pub in Australia and the country's most-southern vineyard. Artisan cheese-maker Nick Haddow operates the Bruny Island Cheese Company which produces highly acclaimed cheese products.
The island is divided into North and South Bruny, joined by a narrow isthmus.
Major townships include:
- Adventure Bay
- Barnes Bay
- Dennes Point
- Simpsons Bay
Bruny Island is closest to the state's capital of Hobart.
- There are a number of flights to Hobart daily from destinations including Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane.
- The Spirit of Tasmania travels daily between Melbourne and Devonport and allows visitors to bring vehicles from the Australian mainland to Tasmania. You can then take the 4 hour drive to Hobart.
Once in Hobart, you can drive south to the city of Kingston and then through the sleepy townships of Margate, Snug, Oyster Cove and Kettering. From Kettering, you can catch the vehicular ferry, The Mirambeena, across to Bruny Island.
It is also possible to fly in, as Bruny Island has a small airstrip on the northern part of the Island.
Tasair  offers tours to the Island, which include the flight and a cruise around the Island.
Bruny Island is approximately 40km from one end to the other and is roughly half the size of Singapore. The best way to explore Bruny Island is by car.
- Bligh Museum, Main Rd, Adventure Bay - Many artifacts relating to early Bruny history and the first explorers - particularly Cook and Bligh, . edit
- Bruny History Room, Main Rd, Alonnah - Early and recent history. many artifacts, photos, documents and newspaper cuttings provided by Bruny residents, . edit
- Cape Bruny Lighthouse was one of Australia's longest serving lighthouses guiding seafarers through some at-times treacherous waters. It still stands proudly at Cape Bruny (at the southern tip of the island) for all to admire. There are dramatic ocean views from Cape Bruny and you should be able to see Eddystone and Pedra Branca, more than 30km away.
Bruny Island Cruises, 915 Adventure Bay Road, Bruny Island, TAS 7150, ☎ (03) 6293 1465 (email@example.com), . This trip is a must-do while you are on Bruny Island. Bruny Island Cruises operates a 3 hour wildlife eco-cruise daily exploring the coastline of the South Bruny National Park. The tour was this year named one of the top 100 experiences in the world by Travel and Leisure Magazine's 2008 guidebook. In addition, the company is the current Australian Small Business of the Year, Tasmanian Business of the Year and Family Business of the Year. The cruise offers an unforgettable experience - tall sea cliffs, amazing coastline, seals, albatross, often dolphins and sometimes even whale sightings! These trips operate every day except for Christmas Day and guided day tours from Hobart are available. edit
Also check out:
- INALA Nature Tours, 320 Cloudy Bay Road, Bruny Island, TAS 7150, ☎ (03) 6293 1217 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . INALA Tours operates wildlife tours into the South Bruny National Park edit
- Ol'Kid Fishing Charters, Captain James Cook Caravan Park, Adventure Bay Road, Bruny Island, TAS 7150, ☎ (03) 6293 1128, . Ol'Kid Fishing Charters operates fishing tours from Adventure Bay. edit
- Great Expeditions, Hobart, ☎ 0488 784 402 (email@example.com), . Great Expeditions provides tailored tours of Bruny Island (and Tasmania in general). Our relaxing tours are for any size group and aim to accommodate your personal needs. The Premium Indulgence tour is very popular, along with general tours of this beautiful island. Have a look at their website to see the range of other activities that are possible to include on your tour. Hobart hotel pickup and drop off is welcomed. edit
- Bruny Island Safaris (firstname.lastname@example.org), 8 Bay Road Midway Point, ☎ 0457775879, . 10. Bruny Island Day tours is a must-do as great alternative to water based tours. The tour will take you to all the best sites and places. The tour will cover all expenses into Parks, return ferry fares and lunch and tastings are provided. Discover the rare White Wallaby, Echidnas and Sea Eagles. Stand at the top of towering dolerite seacliffs. Gaze up at the Cape Bruny Lighthouse. Take all the guess work out of self driving! The operators of this business have been involved in high quality tourism ventures in Tasmania for 10 years. Departs Hobart and returns you to your hotel. edit
There are a range of food offerings on Bruny Island, from take-away to cafe's to pub meals.
- Hothouse Cafe, Adventure Bay Main Rd - Open all day incl dinner - great food & views (from Bruny main Rd, take Adventure Bay Rd. Cafe is 400m on left), . edit
- Hotel Bruny, 3959 Main Road, Alonnah, ☎ 03 6293 1148. Bar, Restaurant, Bottleshop, TAB, Keno edit
- The White Wallaby Cafe, 710 Adventure Bay Road, Adventure Bay, ☎ 03 6295 1352, . The White Wallaby Cafe, is fully licensed and offers indoor and alfresco beach front dinning. All day breakfast, lunch and dinner available. Local produce and products, postcards, Tasmanian Wines. edit
There are a range of boutique offerings on Bruny Island as well, including:
- Bruny Island Cheese Company. edit Known to have some of the finest cheeses in Australia, the selection ranges from locally produced to international sourced. If you are a cheese lover then you must stop-by and watch the cheese makers in action.
- Get Shucked Oyster Farm. edit
- HIBA Island produce. edit
- Bruny Island Smoke House, 360 Lennon St (just up the road from the ferry wharf). Offers a variety of smoked meats and fish, either in meals or on pizzas or vacuum packed to take away, as well as chutneys and preserves. A good place for food and beer while waiting for the nearby ferry. $15-$30. edit
- The Bruny Island Long Weekend, . The Bruny Island Long Weekend is a luxury three-day guided food, wine and walking tour featuring spectacular coastal scenery, extraordinary wildlife and amazing food. The tour is an opportunity for total immersion into the island’s natural beauty over a couple of days in true Tasmanian style. Guests will discover how to harvest local oysters, spot nocturnal wildlife such as the rare quolls and pademelons, found only in Tasmania, visit a local cheese producer and venture into the Southern Ocean to spot dolphins, whales, albatross, and a huge fur seal colony. The Bruny Island Long Weekend accommodates up to a maximum of eight people per departure. Accommodation is in a luxurious forest camp on both nights and includes dinner prepared by the guides as guests sip on Tasmanian wine around a roaring camp fire. The island is accessed by high speed catamaran from the Hobart waterfront and guests return by seaplane edit
- Bruny Island Premium Wines (email@example.com), 4391 Main Road, Lunawanna (Cellar Door Sales @ Australia's most Southern Vineyard), ☎ 03 6293 1088. Meet Bernice and Richard and sample their range recognised as premium Tasmanian wines. edit
Please also see accommodation on Huon Trail.
- Angels Retreat, Main Rd, Great Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1131 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $170 per night(2 people)-sleeps up to 4 - beachfront accommodation. edit
- Beachfront on Bruny, Main Rd, Great Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (61) 3 62 931271 (email@example.com), . Perfect setting, right on the beach! edit
- Blackwood Studio Accommodation (High quality Cottages), 41 Lorkins Rd, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1015 +61 3 6293 1015 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $150 (2 People) $25 pp extra Sleeps 4 - Adults only. edit
- Bruny Beach House, 91 Nebraska Rd, Dennes Point, Bruny Island, ☎ 03 52438486, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 10am. $135 per night for 2 people. $20 additional per person per night.(max 4) 2 br, fully equipped kitchen, spectacular 180 degree view. Located at Dennes Point on the North End of the Island. 135 per night. edit
- Bruny Island Lodge, 670 Lighthouse Rd, South Bruny, Tasmania Australia 7150, ☎ +61 477693116, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. The Lodge offers a unique experience on Bruny Island; it combines spectacular native bushland with comfortable, well-equipped accommodation built to house that corporate retreat or extended family get-together. Sleeps up to 24 people. From $1000 per night. (-43.418755,147.180294) edit
- Captains Cabin, Nebraska Road, Dennes Point, Bruny Island, ☎ 1300 889 557 +61 3 6293 2096 (email@example.com), . $225 per night (2 people). Sleeps 5. Additional guests $40. edit
- Captain James Cook Caravan Park, Adventure Bay Road, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ +61 3 6293 1128, . Offers powered and unpowered sites, onsite caravans, cabins and units. edit
- Cloudy Bay Beach House, 927 Cloudy Bay Rd, South Bruny, Tasmania Australia 7150, ☎ +61 477693116, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. This modern, award-winning building brings together sophisticated design and breath-taking location. Features a cinematic view of Cloudy Bay. Sleeps up to 6 people. from $600 per night. (-43.439438,147.248324) edit
- Cloudy Bay Cabin, 970 Cloudy Bay Road, South Bruny, Tasmania Australia 7150, ☎ +61 477693116, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. Sometimes, the simplest pleasures in life are the best. This sums up Cloudy Bay Cabin; an unpretentious and welcoming little timber cottage surrounded by South Bruny National Park and just metres from the shores of beautiful Cloudy Bay. Sleeps up to 6 people. From $280 per night. (-43.458495,147.257093) edit
- Cloudy Bay Lagoon Estate, 810 Cloudy Bay Rd, Bruny Island, Tasmania, ☎ +61 477693116, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. Cloudy Bay Estate is a wonderfully appointed architecturally designed home sitting at the edge of Cloudy Bay Lagoon. A short walk will take you down to the water’s edge where you can fish, explore the shoreline, watch for birdlife or just sit and meditate. Sleeps up to 12 people. From $450 per night. (-43.426732,147.241537) edit
- Cloudy Bay Villa, 888 Cloudy Bay Rd, South Bruny, Tasmania Australia 7150, ☎ +61 477693116, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. Cloudy Bay Villa offers visitors a unique experience on secluded south Bruny Island. This spectacular two-story house on a gentle rise over Whalebone Point offers some of the best views in Tasmania. Sleeps up to 8 people. From $450 per night. (-43.435655,147.237353) edit
- Explorers Cottages (At Lunawanna), 20 Lighthouse Road, Lunawanna, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1271 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $140 per night (2 people). Sleeps 4. Additional guests $25.. edit
- Inspirations on Bruny (Nebraska Beach, Dennes Point), 35 Cox Drive, Dennes Point, Bruny Island, Tasmania, 7150, ☎ 0498 088 410, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 10am. Inspirations is a self contained accommodation retreat, situated opposite Nebraska Beach, at Dennes Point on idyllic Bruny Island, Tasmania. Inspirations is ideally set up to accommodate a couple, with a queen sized bed in the single bedroom. Originally constructed as an artists studio/retreat 'Inspirations' is a beautiful, environmentally friendly, haven perfectly suited as holiday accommodation for a relaxing break away from the stress of everyday city life, or as a romantic hideaway. Beautiful views over the D'Entrecasteaux Channel are a feature in every room of your accommodation (even the toilet). Preparing meals in the kitchen, enjoying breakfast at the dining table or waking in the morning all allow you to enjoy the most serene scenery available in Tasmania. Bruny Island has a permanent population of only around 600 people, along with many shack-weekender owners visiting the island on a regular basis. Popular with vistors, particularly from interstate and overseas, Bruny has become a holiday escape that is difficult to leave behind. $155 p/n. edit
- Mangana Mountain Cottages (4 Cottages - 2 with spas), Cloudy Bay Rd, Lunawanna, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1142 (email@example.com), . From $120 per night (2 people). Additional guests $25. edit
- Maxy's By The Sea (At Alonnah), ☎ (03) 6293 1271 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $175 per night (2 people). Sleeps 5. Additional guests $25.. edit
- Poppies on the Beach, Main Rd, Great Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1131 (email@example.com), . $170 per night(2 people $25 pp addit) for absolute beachfront. edit
- Serena Lodge, Serena Road, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03)6260 6266/0407626643 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $165 per night (2 people). Sleeps 5. Additional guests $15. edit
- Saintys Creek Cottage, 546 Cloudy Bay Rd, South Bruny, Tasmania Australia 7150, ☎ +61 477693116, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. Saintys Creek is a tranquil and beautiful body of water flowing through centuries-old forest and emptying into the serene Cloudy Bay Lagoon. Saintys Creek Cottage is located on a secluded bush block, a short walk from the creek – and a million miles from the stresses of life in the city. Sleeps up to 4 people. From $200 per night. (-43.4054251,147.2446483) edit
- St Clairs Luxury Accommodation (Romantic Getaway for Two), 48, Lighthouse Rd, Lunawanna, ☎ (03) 6293 1300 (email@example.com), . $210 per night includes spa, full breakfast and bottle of champagne. edit
- The Cockpit, Adventure Bay Rd, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1131 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $270 per night includes breakfast and champagne. edit
- The Don, Stuart Road, Alonnah, Bruny Island, ☎ 1300 889 557 +61 3 6293 2096 (email@example.com), . $165 per night (2 people). Sleeps 2. Additional guests $30. edit
- The Shed, Adventure Bay Rd, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1131 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $170 per night (for 2 people) Sleeps up to 9. edit
- Wombat Cottage, Esplanade, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ 1300 889 557 +61 3 6293 2096 (email@example.com), . checkin: 2.00 pm; checkout: 10.00 am. $195 per night (2 people). Sleeps 8. Additional guests $30. edit
- Only Telstra NextG mobile phones will work on Bruny Island - and this is not guaranteed for the entire island.
- Observe speed limits. 50 km/h in built-up areas, otherwise 90 km/h on sealed roads and 80 km/h on gravel.
- Watch out for wildlife - particularly at night.
- Check ferry times. Last ferry leaves before 7pm most nights (see Ferry Times)
- Be observant of other drivers
- Always notify somebody if you are going bushwalking and carry a (NextG) mobile phone if possible.
- Carry an EPIRB if boating and wear life jackets
|This is a usable article. It gives a good overview of the region, its sights, and how to get in, as well as links to the main destinations, whose articles are similarly well developed. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!