Mission Hill is a quaint little neighborhood of Boston that overlooks the city from its western side.
Once filled with farms and most of the breweries in Boston, Mission Hill today is an architectural landmark district with a combination of freestanding houses built by early wealthy landowners, blocks of traditional brick rowhouses, and many three deckers. Many families and some students and staff from the nearby Longwood Medical Area come to Mission Hill for the affordable rents. A diverse community in proximity to downtown, Mission Hill offers its residents an excellent view of the city from a historic neighborhood.
Mission Hill is served by the Roxbury Crossing station on MBTA's Orange Line, as well as the Brigham Circle, Fenwood, Mission Park, Riverway, Back of the Hill and Heath Street stops on the Green Line.
- From Back Bay: Huntington Avenue is a multi-lane boulevard leading to Mission Hill from the center of Boston, cutting through the Northeastern and Wentworth Campuses.
- From Downtown: US I-93 is a speedy way to bypass Congested surface streets. It connects to Mission Hill at exit 18, via the Mass Ave Connecter and Melnea Cass Blvd.
The neighborhood is served by MBTA Bus Route 39 running from Forest Hills in Jamaica Plain to Copley Square and Route 66 running from Dudley Square in Roxbury, through Brookline to Harvard Square in Cambridge. The Urban Ring crosstown route passes through the far eastern corner of the neighborhood along Longwood Avenue and Huntington Avenue.
- Mission Church, 1545 Tremont Street (Brigham Circle station on Green Line or Roxbury Crossing on Orange Line) Built in 1878, this impressive structure serves as a local landmark.
- Fitzgerald Park, entrances on Calumet And St Alphonsus streets. This beautiful, modern park has a sweeping view of the Back Bay and Fenway.
- Sheehy Park, 1499 Tremont Street (Brigham Circle station on Green Line or Roxbury Crossing on Orange Line). Sheehy Park is between the Mission Church (Basilica) and the Parker Hill Branch Library (of the Boston Public Library), has three interconnecting levels and is the site of numerous public events, including the annual Mission Hill Community Health Fair in mid-April, cosponsored by MCPHS University in the adjacent Longwood Medical Area and the nonprofit Mission Hill Health Movement. edit
- Mike's Donut Shop, 1524a Tremont Street (across the street from Mission Church), ☎ 617 427 6828. edit
- Penguin Pizza, 735 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115 (Across the street from the Fenwood Road Green Line stop), ☎ (617) 277-9200. edit
- 'Mission Bar, 724 Huntington Ave. Classy atmosphere, fantastic menu and extensive variety of craft beers on tap.
- The Squealing Pig, 134 Smith Street. Best draft beers in all of Boston and delicious food. edit