One of Boston's most historic and beautiful neighborhoods, Beacon Hill  is geographically demarcated by Cambridge Street to the North, Beacon Street to the South, Storrow Drive to the West, and Bowdoin Street to the East. The neighborhood is mostly residential, comprised of numerous red brick townhouses and close proximity to three of Boston's largest public spaces--the Public Gardens, the Boston Commons, and the park space that runs along the Charles river. Because the Massachusetts State House is located here, "Beacon Hill" is often used as a metonym to refer to the state government or the legislature.
The location of the Cheers bar, formerly Bull and Finch pub that inspired the television show.
Charles-MGH (Red Line) and Bowdoin (Blue Line) stations are located at the northwest and northeast corners of the neighborhood. Park Street station (Red and Green Lines) is just to the southeast. Bowdoin Station is not open at all times: it is only open Monday through Friday from 5:15 AM to 6:30 PM, excluding holidays.
Cambridge St. is accessible via the Government Center exit of Storrow Drive. In Beacon Hill it is wise to park the car and explore the neighbourhood by foot or bike. A car in Beacon Hill is unnecessary and annoying.
- Rose Nichols House Museum, 55 Mount Vernon Street, ☎ +1-617-227-6993 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1-617-723-8026), . Admission: Adults: $7, Children under 12: Free. edit
- The African Meeting House, . edit
- The Hampshire House/Cheers Beacon Hill, See details under the Drink section.
- Boston Athenæum, 10½ Beacon St., ☎ +1 617-720-0270, . Mon-Thur 9AM-8PM , Fri 9AM-5:30PM, Sat 9AM-4PM, Sun 12PM-4PM. The first floor is FREE and open to the public. Admission to the gallery is a suggested $5 donation. Admittance to the remaining floors is limited to members. Free and open to the public docent-led tours are held each Tuesday and Thursday at 3pm. Advance registration is required. The Boston Athenæum is a private membership Library, museum, and civic forum. Membership is open to all who apply. Free. edit
- Massachusetts State House, 24 Beacon St., ☎ +1 617-722-2000, . M-F 9AM-5PM. The seat of the Massachusetts state government, designed by Charles Bulfinch and built in 1798 making it among the country's oldest state houses. Open to the public weekdays 9-5 with tours available. Entrance through the General Hooker entrance on Beacon St. Free. edit
- Walk in Beacon Hill, . Urban Trekking Boston suggests two self guided tours to explore Beacon Hill on foot and at your pace, one on Beacon Hill only, and one on Beacon Hill and the Parks around Beacon Hill. Free. edit
- Charles Street is lined with numerous antique stores and boutiques.
The western end of Beacon Hill, otherwise know as the "flat" of Beacon Hill, is crossed by Charles St., home to numerous antique stores, restaurants, and bars. Cambridge Street to the north is less quaint, more urban, and also home to numerous bars and restaurants. Bordering Massachusetts General Hospital, Cambridge Street in large part caters to the employees of this hospital and the large number of students and young professionals that work in this area.
- Beacon Hill Bistro, 25 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-723-7525. Outstanding neighborhood French bistro. edit
- King and I, 145 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-742-3447. A consistent winner of the Best of Boston award for the best Thai food. edit
- Figs, 42 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-742-3447. Todd English's second restaurant of this name. edit
- The Paramount, 44 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-720-1152. A local, cafeteria style "joint" with great breakfasts, lunches and dinners. edit
- Artu, 89 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-227-9023. Wonderful Italian restaurant offering everything from lasagna to rotisseried chicken. edit
- The Upper Crust Pizzeria, 20 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-723-9600 (email@example.com, fax: +1 617-723-6685), . Su-W 11:30AM-10PM, Th-Sa 11:30AM-10:30PM. The Upper Crust is a small pizzeria tucked away on Charles Street. While, the restaurant does have a few tables, the room can be very cramped if all the tables are used. To order walk up to the counter and tell them what you'd like and they'll call you when your food is ready. If you visit on a warm and sunny day consider taking your food to-go and eat in the Public Park. edit
- The Hungry I, 71 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-227-3524. edit
- Panificio Bistro & Bakery, 144 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-227-4340, . edit
- Antonio´s, 288 Cambridge Street, ☎ +1 617-367-3310. edit
- Pierrot Bistro Francais, 272 Cambridge Street, ☎ +1 617-725-8855. edit
- No.9 Park, 9 Park St. (Next to Boston Common just in front of the State House), +1 617-742-9991, . The flagship restaurant of Barbara Lynch (she also operates the B&G Oyster Co. and The Butcher Shop in South End) and one of the most acclaimed restaurant in Boston. Choose from an a la carte menu or order a multi-course tasting menu.
Inside Cheers Beacon Hill. Note that the layout is not the same layout the Cheers
show set used.
- Cheers Beacon Hill, 84 Beacon Street (T: Park Street), ☎ +1 617-227-9605, . 11AM-2AM (). The inspiration for the famous TV show lies on the border of Downtown Boston and Beacon Hill. After visiting the bar and talking with bartender Eddie Doyle Cheers producers decided to base the television show off of the Finch & Bull Pub in Boston. If you want Eddie Doyle, the man who helped to inspire the show, make you a drink he bartends Tuesdays and Thursdays in the morning and has been working for the bar for over 30 years. edit
- The Sevens Ale House, 77 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-523-9074. Beautiful pub with an authentic feeling and good food and drink. edit
- Beacon Hill Pub, 149 Charles Street. edit
- Harvard Gardens, 316 Cambridge Street, ☎ +1 617-523-2727, . edit
- Tip Tap Room, 138 Cambridge Street, ☎ +1 857-350-3344. edit
- Ole Scollay Square´s Red Hat, 9 Bowdoin Street, ☎ +1 617-523-2175. edit
- Emmet´s Pub & Restaurant, 6 Beacon Street, ☎ (617) 742-8565. edit
- 6B Lounge, 6B Beacon Street, ☎ (617) 742-0306. edit
- The Kinsale Irish Pub & Restaurant, Market Place Center 2, ☎ (617) 742-5577. edit
- John Jeffries House, 14 David G. Mugar Way, ☎ +1 617-367-1866 (fax: +1 617-742-0313), . edit
- The Charles Street Inn, 94 Charles Street, ☎ +1 617-314-8900, . edit
- Wyndham Boston at Beacon Hill, 5 Blossom Street (T: Charles-MGH or Bowdoin), ☎ +1 617-742-7630, . Good location overlooking the Charles River at the foot of Beacon Hill. Hotel completed multi million dollar renovation. Near Massachusetts General Hospital. Provides free wi-fi. edit
- Liberty Hotel, 215 Charles Street (T: Charles-MGH), ☎ +1 617-224-4000, . Located in the Beacon Hill neighborhood by the Charles River and its Esplanade. On a bizarre side note, the hotel occupies a former prison that once held former mayor James Michael Curley (imprisoned in 1904 for fraud), Frank Abagnale, Jr. (portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio in Catch Me If You Can) and a Nazi U-Boat captain captured in 1945 who later committed suicide. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!