Boryeong area is an interesting location where mountains, fields and sea are harmonized. It is a four-season tourist destination with its 78 islands, Sungju mountain, Oseo mountain and various cultural properties such as Sungjusaji, Ocheonsung, Galmaemot Martyrium, etc.
Boryeong is known around Korea for its beaches, particularly Daecheon Beach, and its annual mud festival. The city's beach-mud is widely touted for its cosmetic properties. As elsewhere along the southwest coast of the Korean peninsula, there are numerous small islands, many of which are connected by ferry to Daecheon Port.
- Seoul Express Terminal
There are 3 terminals in Seoul that you can use to get to Boryeong.
- Seoul Express Bus Terminal (Central) --> Boryeong (Daecheon) Estimated Time : 2 hours 20 mins.
- Dong Seoul Express Bus Terminal --> Daecheon (Boryeong) (3 hours, 8,700 won)
- Daecheon Terminal to Daecheon Beach
There is a bus from Incheon that directly goes to Daecheon Beach (Boryeong) but only once a day. It departs at 13:20, ticket price is 1,3400 won. However, it will be very difficult to find a ticket for this.
- Other Ways to get to Boryeong from Incheon:
Incheon --> Cheonan Shinbu Terminal (Cheonan), then from Cheonan --> Daecheon (Boryeong) (Estimated Time : 2 hours 30 mins, 7,400 won)
East Daegu Express Bus Terminal --> Daejeon (Estimated time : 2 hours. Economy 7,400 won, Business 10,800) Daejeon --> West Daejeon Terminal (Take Bus No. 841.)
Busan Express Bus Terminal --> Gunsan (Estimated time : 4 hours and 40 mins. 20,000 won). Then go from Gunsan To Daecheon (Boryeong)
Cheonan IC -> Ansan -> Hongsung -> Boryeong
Yusung IC -> Gongju -> Cheongyang -> Boryeong
West Coast Highway
(Soe hae An Highway)
Seoul -> Poseung IC -> Asan -> Hongsung -> Boryeong
Yeonmudae IC -> Nonsan -> Buyeo -> Boryeong
- Daecheon Beach This is the representative beach in Boryeong Endlessly continued beach with white sands, blue sea, small and big islands dotted over the horizon, colorful swimsuits looks, pine forest enough to keep the sunshine off, sunset dropping a long way off over the horizon… Also check Jangan Beach, Yongdu Beach
- Wonsando (Wonsan Island) When you get on board a ship at Daecheon Port for 30 minutes, you arrive at Jeodu where is the entrance of Wonsando(Wonsan Island). People in the village named this island Wonsando, because the geographical features of the island looked like a wild boar. This island is very famous for the shipping spot. You can reach Seonchon, the biggest village in the Wonsando, when you take a walk for 10 minutes from Jeodu.
- Mt. Seongju In Boryeong, there is a place reminding the sentence, "When I got out of the tunnel, there was a snow country", which is the first sentence of Japanese author Kawabata Yasunari's novel Yukiguni. That is "Seongju" tunnel. Passing through the Seongju tunnel, which connects downtown and Seongju-Myeon, gives us novel feeling as if we step in totally different world.
- Coal mining museum Both in and out door coal mining museum has a collection of 1,700 artifacts such as mining tolls and mineral samples. Inside of the museum, six different halls present their unique collections. Guiding Hall provides viewer's information and has gift shop. Research Hall shows developing of coal. Discovery Hall presents samples of coal and other mineral and history of mining industry. Participating Hall has artificial coal pit that is very like a real.
- Muchangpo 'Miracle' Sea Route Muchangpo Beach is known for a miraculous phenomenon in which the sea parts four or five times a month, reminiscent of the Parting of the Red Sea. Along the 1.5 km-long sea route to Seokdaedo Island, you can experience mudflats, and even try catching sea cucumber, conch, and baby octopus with your bare hands. You can also view the stunning scenery of the nearby islands at sunset. Phone: +82-41-936-3561 Website: www.muchangpo.or.kr
- Boryeongho Lake Borygeongho Lake was completed in 1998 by damming up Ungcheoncheon Stream, which originates in Seongjusan and Amisan mountains. The 23.5 km-long road surrounding the lake is ideal enjoying the clear water and splendid colors of autumn. This lake supplies water for households and industry in seven cities and counties, particularly those in western CHungcheongnam-do Province.
- Ocheonghang Port Ocheon Port, the hub of northern Boryeong, used to be a major naval base, and was instrumental in fighting Japanese raiders during the Goreo and Joseon Periods. Its particularly deep water and good natural condition are home to a wide variety of seafood including mussels, stingrays and pen shellfish. You can enjoy seafood of the highest quality at the nearby raw fish restaurants which produce freshly caught by divers. Phone: +82-41-932-4301
- Jukdo Island Located between Daecheon Beach and Muchangpo Beach, Jukdo Island was once populated by dense groves of bamboo trees. Now, it is connected to the mainland by the Nampo Embankment and has been developed as the Jukdo Island Tourist Site with a variety of leisure facilities. Nampo Embankment Road is a great place to take a walk or go for a drive, and has recently become a popular new tourist attraction. Phone: +82-41-932-2032
- Godaedo Island Godaedo Island is famous for its clean waters, allowing clams and oysters to be harvested all around the island’s coastline. This island has an important place in Korean Protestant history in that Karl Gutzlaff from Germany, the first Protestant missionary to come to Joseon, entered Korea aboard the British merchant ship Lord Amherst. Phone: +82-41-932-4301
- Hodo Island and Nokdo Island Hodo Island is said to resemble a fox in shape, and boasts gently sloping silver beaches. The islanders preserve their local fish resources by catching large fish on. Nearby Nokdo Island is said to resemble a deer in shape and abounds in oysters and laver seaweed. The island villages are clustered together in the hills. Phone: +82-41-932-4301
- Janggodo Island Janggodo Island is a Marine & Coastal National Park rich with white sands and pinewoods. It includes Myeongjangseom Island where the traditional folk game, Deungbarunori, originated. The island was given the name Jango because it resembles a jango, or Korean traditional drum. You can pick various marine produce including clams and crabs when the sea parts between Myeongjang Beach and Myeongjangseom Island. Phone: +82-41-932-4301
- Sapsido Island The name of the island, Spaso, derives from its shape which is said to resemble a bow and arrow. The island also features many strange rocks and pinewood groves along its coastline. Interestingly, a mineral spring site called Mulmangteo and Myeonsapji Islet are regarded as the hidden treasures of Sapsido Island as they only appear during low tide. Phone: +82-41-932-4301
- Oeyeondo Island Dulle-gil Trail 8km Starting from Dangsan, the Oeyeondo Island Nature Trail passes through Keunmyeongeum and continues to Norangbae. All along the trail there are wooden decks installed at 2km intervals and eco-friendly signboards containing detailed information at special viewing points. From the newly established Bonghwasan Mountain (279m) and Mangjaesan Mountain (171m) trails hikers can see all fifteen of the Oeyeondo Islands.
- Sapsido Island Dulle-gil Trail 2km Hikers who take this trail will see Myeonsapji, which is cut off from Sapsido Island twice a day by the tide, Mulmangteo, which is submerged at high tide and appears with a mineral spring at low tide, and the lonely pine named Hwanggeumgomsol, which is unable to bear pine cones.
- Janggodo Island Dulee-gil Trail 1km Starting from Daemeori Quay, this trail passes through a coastal walkway and a pine forest walkway. Walkers can see the mysterious parting of the sea at low tide and the magnificent sunset beyond Myeongjangseom Island.
- Godaedo Island Dulle-gil Trail 500m/ 350m Course 1 (from Jogujangbeol to Dangsan Beach) features centuries-old pine groves and mysteriously shaped rocks and bizarre stones on fine white sands. Course 2 comprises the coastal walkway from Mongdol Beach to Seonbawi Rock. Visitors will feel a pleasant tingling in their toes while walking along Mongdol Beach.
- Coal Museum
The Coal Museum was established to preserve and study the history of coal, which was the main source of power behind the nation’s industrial development in the 1970s and ‘80s. The museum features a wide variety of materials and exhibits related to coal, encompassing the formation of coal, the development of a mine, and the working environment and equipment of coalminers. Phone: +82-41-934-1902, +82-41-930-3566 Website: www.1stcoal.go.kr
- Zip Track
Zip Track is the first facility in Korea to allow four passengers to fly at the same time for the first time in Korea. The tower is 52m high and the wire rope is 613 meters long. You will feel as if you’re flying through the sky at 80km/h as you descend along the wire, which makes a “zip” sound. Phone: +82-41-934-3003
- Boryeong Energy World
Boryeong Energy World is an exhibition hall dedicated to publicizing the largest thermoelectric power station in Korea. Visitors can learn about the process of producing electricity and ways of saving energy. Phone: 070-7511-2885~6 Website: www.energyworld.co.kr
- Boryeong Arts Center
Boryeong Arts Center has a museum, a tideland ecological science museum, a literature hall and a tour center, and is a place where visitors can learn about the history of Boryeong. The first-rate, specialized museum built in Boryeong Arts Center shows periodic relics from prehistoric to modern and present age. Phone: +82-41-934-3721 Website: http://culture.brcn.go.kr
- ’Alive Museum’ Optical Illusion Theme Park
Situated in Daecheon Hanhwa Resort, the ‘Alive Museum’ is a theme park based on optical illusions that makes art works ‘come alive’. The park has three themed spaces consisting of painting art, digital art, and object art. Visitors can enjoy a special experience in each of the theme spaces. Phone: +82-41-930-8590
- Seongjusa Temple Site of Boryeong (Historic Site No. 307)
Built in the Baekje Period, Seongju Temple was famous for its splendor and rich history. It was the supreme Buddhist temple among the Nine Mountains School of Zen. At its height during the Silla Period, some, 2,000 heritages were produced in the Unified Silla, Goryeo and Joseon Periods, so the sites excavated here have yielded up many cultural assets including Geumdangji, Hoernagji, and Jungmunji Halls.
- Tomb of General Kim Jwa-jin
General Kim Jwa-jin was a Korean independence fighter who won a glorious victory as the commander-in-chief of the Korean Independence Army at the Battle of Cheongsalli. He is also known to have established Homyeong School to abolish illiteracy in the area. His grave was consecrated in 1974 to commemorate his accomplishments and patriotism.
- Tomb of Yi Ji-ham
Yi Ji-ham was a talented scholar of the mid Joseon Period, skilled in medicine, the Chinese classics and geography. He strived to help the poor, leading relief efforts on their behalf while serving as the Magistrate of Asan.
- Chungcheong Suyeongseong Fortress of Boryeong
Chungcheongsuyeongseong Fortress was built to defend the area against the frequent incursions by Japanese raiders in the late Goryeo Period and the early days of the Joseon dynasty at Ocheon Port, which had been a trade hub with China since the Baekje Period. As the General HQ responsible for protecting the west coast of the Korean Peninsula during the Joseon Period, Chungcheong Suyeongseong Fortress had command of eighteen towns and forts around the coastline in Chungcheong-do Province. A number of stone defensive structures dating back to this period are scattered along the beautiful coastline.
- Galmaemot Martyrs Sacred Place
The Galmaemot Martyrs Sacred Place is the spot where, during the Byeongin Persecution of 1866, five Catholic martyrs including Bishop Daveluy were executed after being sentenced to death in Seoul and transferred under escort. It is famous for being the only holy ground situated near the sea anywhere in the country. Historically, it was also the place where punishments and executions were carried out.
- Namp Ink-stone
Nampo has been an important production site of ink-stone, an essential item for classical scholars, since antiquity. Indeed, it still produces 60-70% of the domestic output of ink-stone. The ink stick is grounded easily and the ink remains longer in Nampo ink-stone.
- Seongjusan Natural Recreation Forest
Branching away from the Charyeong Mountain Range, Seongjusan Mountain (677m) is so wooded that the sky is completely blocked in daytime. In particular, Hwajanggol Valley of Seongjusan has a beautiful cypress forest where visitors can enjoy a pleasant stroll for several kilometers among the trees. Phone: +82-41-930-3529 Website: seongjusan.brcn.go.kr
- Mt. Oseosan)
Oseosan Mountain (790.7m) is famous for Myeongdae Valley and the dense forests and tall grass fields near its summit. Since it is the highest mountain on Korea’s west coast, you can view the entire West Sea and many islands from the peak on a clear day. Phone: +82-41-936-5465 Website: www.huyang.go.kr
- Gaehwa Art Park
Located in Seongjusan Mountain, Gaehwa Art Park is an ideal theme park for family picnics. It consists of the Mosan Sculpture Park, Birim Park, Handwritten Poem Pakr, Hwain Concert Hall, Herb Land and an Eco Experience Center for children. Website: www.gaehwaartpark.com
- The Poem and Path Park
This park features a very attractive pinewood trail and an 8km-long cherry blossom walkway near Boryeong Dam, attracting many tourists. It also contains the Memorial Shrine for Anti-Japanese Poets of Korea, which commemorates Korean poets’ resistance to Japanese imperialism. Phone: 070-4112-5337 Website: www.poet.ne.kr
- Cold Wind Tunnel
Converted from the tunnel of a former coal mine, this unusual facility takes advantage of natural cold air circulating underground. Unusually, the higher the outside temperature is, the lower the interior temperature – even during the hottest part of summer. Visitors can purchase button mushrooms raised in the cold air here. Phone: +82-41-933-9601
- Boryeong Mud Festival at Daecheon Beach
This has been held at Daecheon swimming beach every month of July for 10 years. There are Mud massage programs (Self massage at the Beach, Ultramodern mud massage) and Mud Experiential Land program using mud powder made through the processing procedure, that is, we gather mud from pure plain and remove all impurities. There are many events such as mud wrestling, mud king contest, mud fireworks fantasy and mud sliding. There will also be a photo competition in which past members have come in first place. This is a high profile event. There is a gorgeous beach there as well, which will come in handy as you won’t have any choice but to get dirty. You will be put into a prison until you get some mud on your body. The mud itself is very good for your skin and health. At night, you can relax or experience some games and watch fireworks at the gorgeous night beach. The beach itself is very beautiful and a great place to go swimming, and this is one of the biggest festivals in Korea.
- Sea Fishing There are five outports, Daecheon Port, Ocheon, Muchangpo, Jukdo and Songdo, for sea fishing in Boryeongcity that is famous for boat fishing in West Coast. In Daecheon Port, about 40 boats are ready for boat fishing.
- Boryeong Mud Experience CenterLocated on Daecheon Beach, the Boryeong Mud Experience Center is the only mud experience center designed for health and beauty purposes, offering a mud massage, a mud sauna, skin care and an aroma bath. It is well equipped with convenience facilities and is open all year round.
Phone: +82-41-931-4021 Website: www.mud.brcn.go.kr
- Jusan Cherry Blossom Festival
Jusan Cherry Blossom Road is filled with beautiful cherry blossoms and yuchae flowers during the festival. You can take a picture against a beautiful background at the “Green Spot for Pictures” of Boryeong Dam, which is located 6km away from the Cherry Blossom Road.
- Daecheonhang Seafood Festival
Daecheon Port, the most important harbor of the west coast, abounds in inexpensive, fresh and nutritious seafood. In addition, the Boryeong Islands pleasure boat trip is ideal for a spring excursion.
- Muchangpo Webfoot Octopus and Flounder Festival
This festival is held to promote a local specialties including webfoot octopus and flounder, as well as the ‘Mystic Sea Road.’ It offers various hands-on experiences such as picking clams, catching fish with one’s bare hands, and fishing.
- Muchangpo Mystic Sea Road Festival
In the middle and last day of every month on the lunar Calendar, the sea from Muchangpo Beach to Seokdaedo Island is parted. Visitors can enjoy such activities as clam hunting, catching fish with one’s bare hands, fishing, and walking along the 1.5 kilometer-long sea route during this festival.
- Muchangpo Praws and Gizzard Shad Festival
As typical sea foods of autumn, prawns, shrimps and gizzard shad are good for reviving the loss of appetite associated with hot summer weather. Visitors to the festival can enjoy fresh seafood at affordable prices.
- Seongjusan Mt. Maple Festival
This autumn festival is held around Seongjusan Mountain, a famous mountain in Boryeong, every October. Visitors can enjoy walking along maple trails and discover hidden attractions at this festival, as well as taking part in various folk games such as tuho (throwing arros into a barrel) and jegi (Korean shuttlecock), not to mention interesting performances and a fantastic fireworks display.
- Seongjusan Mt. Maple Festival
This colorful autumn festival is held at Cheongna Ginkgo Village, which has the largest colony of ginkgo trees in Korea. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs recommends Cheongna as one of the finest rural festival places for its story of successful gingko harvesting.
- Pleasure Boat
Daecheonhang Port-> Boryeong Thermal Power Plant and Penguinbububawi Rock -> Waksaeseom Island (Namgeunbawi Rock) and Woldo Island -> Heoyukdo Island (Samhyeongjebawi Rock) -> Mongdeokdo Island (Geobugiseom Island) -> Chudo Island and Sodo Island -> Anymyeondo Island Yeongmok Port -> Hyojado Island -> Wonsando Island -> Daecheonhang Port Phone: +82-41-934-6896, +82-41-934-8896 Website: www.enjoyboat.com
- Rail Bike
The Rail Bike Track located at the foot of Seongjusan Mountain was built by modifying the original railway track. Visitors can enjoy pedaling along the 5km track amid a pleasantly fragrant rural environment in which various sculptures are displayed. Phone: +82-41-936-4100
- Mud from Boryeong Mudpack that is good for skin health as well as beauty is known to be much superior to mud from Israel that is known to be best in the world. Based on the superior quality, we make visitors have mud massage all year round. Have the massage with the mud that clean mud, yellow earth and white clay are mixed at the appropriate ratio, enjoy the sun bathing and wash the mud out in the sea. Then, you can feel the smooth skin touch as much as you are surprised. The superiority of mud products from Boryeong is approved in the world. Taepyungyang Company cooperating with Boryeong city provides it with very low price produces it.
- Nampo Inkstone Inkstone that is one of the four precious things for study of scholars was as essential as computer nowadays. What was considered as the most precious thing among inkstones that were the necessities for scholars is the inkstone made in Nampo. As being written in Imwonkyungjeji by Seo Yu Gu, realist in Chosun dynasty, Sukranyeon, Keumsamunyeon, Eunsamunyeon, Bakunjinsangsukyeon among Nampo stone that are produced in Sungju mountain, Nampohyun are the most valuable things among inkstones. Hwachosuk of which the stone quality is the best among Unjinsangsukyeon has beautiful patterns in some parts of inkstone. The quality of stone from Nampo is excellent as you can make the most valuable inkstone if you trim even the natural stone a little. As modern society influences in our life, inkstone is not used much and 60% to 70% of inkstones that are produced in Korea is made in Boryeong. So Boryeong is the main area for Inkstone. The inkstone manufacturing in Nampo was designated as intangible cultural asset No. 6 in Chungcheongnamdo.
- Ungcheon Stone Osuk that is produced in Ungcheon is black like a feather of crow and glossy. And the quality is excellent. So it is used as the material for various epitaph, tomestones, etc. As you trim stone more and more, the black color becomes distinguished, and as you carve, the white color comes out. Especially Osk from Sungju mountain area is famous as the best quality in Korea and is the indigenous property of Boryeong.
Boryeong is also famous for Chungsuk with blue color, Aesuk that is mainly used as the religious purpose, etc. except Osuk.
- Marine products Launce that is caught in the sea of Boryeong is already proved for the superior quality. Especially picked launce that launce in May and June and salt at the ratio of 8 to 2 are ripened has the excellent taste that cannot be compared to anything. Oyster that is produced a lot in Chunbuk area grows slowly because the tide ebb and flow changes a lot but the taste and nutrition are superior.
- Agricultural Products Western mushrooms in Boryeong and other mushrooms that are raised with the wind from underground closed mine are not durable and the taste is excellent. Grape that grows along No. 21 national road from Nampo to Ungcheon has superior sweet taste and best nutrition. Especially, Sahyung grape from Nampo area is famous for its high sweetness taste. Masan area produces various edible greens such as seasoned aster. Especially, seasoned aster from Misan is fragrant a lot and tastes good so that many people want to have it. Lots of Painted maple are growing in the dense forest of Sungju mountain. The sap of Painted maple is especially good for people who have stomach problems and it is known to be useful for neuralgia and improving physical constitution.
There are many restaurants in Boryeong. Most of them offer fresh seafood. However, if this is not your taste, there are of course other kinds of restaurants such as Korean Barbeque restaurants and Galbi Houses.
- Daecheon Fish Market. Near the port, north of the beach area. There are dried fish sellers outside in the adjacent area, but continue indoors and you will find a typical Korean fish market. Bargain downstairs in Korean, Chinese, or English, and someone will lead you upstairs to the restaurant (an additional charge unless explicitly bargained for). Popular choices include grilled live shrimp and steamed scallops or clams. edit
There are basically 3 kinds of accommodation available in Boryeong.
The most popular ones are motels. They are easy to be found because they are all over the place in this beach area. There are also many hotels. You can tell the difference between a motel and a hotel by the size of the building. Buildings that are more than 5 stories and larger in size are hotels. The quality of the room is not much different, but they have more facilities that customers can use such as spas, swimming pools and restaurants.
If you do not mind experiencing a Korean-style house for couple of days "minbak" (a private residence temporarily taking lodgers) is the one for you. In fact, there are more "minbaks" than any other accommodation, because for many people there, it's become another way to make a living.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|