Boone is in Watauga County, in the North Carolina Mountains. It is the home of Appalachian State University.
Access is primarily by private vehicle. Fly to Charlotte (CLT), Raleigh (RDU), Asheville (AVL), or Greensboro (GSO). From Charlotte, take I-77 north to US-421 and go west or I-85 South to US-321 North. From Raleigh, take I-40 west to Greensboro, then US-421 west to Boone. From Asheville...?
Twice-daily, the Mountaineer Express ([PART bus #421 ) makes connections between Boone, Winston-Salem, and the Amtrak/Greyhound station in downtown Greensboro.
Seven times a day, the Hickory Hop  shuttle goes from Charlotte to Hickory (1 hour from Boone). Continuing taxi service is available, and shuttle service is planned.
See also Craigslist Ridesharing Board 
AppalCART  currently has eight bus routes running in Boone. The buses are free to use within city limits.
The downtown area is very compact and easily walkable. The remainder of town is well provided with sidewalks and some bike lanes, making non-automotive transportation a reasonable idea.
Boone Taxi provides all daytime transportation guided by the client. Rides anywhere in town average about five dollars per person. Boone Taxi also provides nightlife guidance and nighttime transport as well. Airport transport also available anytime.
All information pertaining to Boone Taxi provided by the owner.
- Blue Ridge Parkway. The parkway crosses hwy 421 east of Boone and hwy 321 to the south of Boone. If you head south on 321toward Blowing Rock you'll soon come upon it. edit
- Howard's Knob. This is a short drive up the mountain and a great experience as it affords the most commanding view of all of downtown Boone. As you are riding in on either hwy 421 or hwy 321 you will not be able to miss the huge mountain sticking up out of the surrounding landscape. Howard's Knob park is up at the very top and it's easy to get to, you just have to know which road to turn onto off of King St. Heading west on 421, you will turn right onto Cherry St. Keep heading uphill and when you come to an intersection go in the direction that looks like it's leading uphill and before you know it you will come upon the park. edit
- Moses Cone Memorial Park and Flat Top Manor. Located off the Blue Ridge Parkway between mile posts 292 and 295 the park offers 25 miles of hiking and horse trails. The grounds preserve the country estate of Moses Cone, a prosperous textile entrepreneur, conservationist, and philanthropist of the Gilded Age. Its centerpiece is Flat Top Manor, a 20-room, 13,000 square foot mansion built in 1901 which is now home to the Parkway Craft Center edit
In skiing season, there are several nearby mountains that offer skiing.
- Ski Beech, 3363 Beech Mtn Pkwy, Beech Mountain, NC, ☎ 1-800-438-2093, . 10AM-10PM, seasonal. $50-$150. edit
- Appalachian Ski Mountain, (Between Boone and Blowing Rock), ☎ 1-800-322-2373. edit
- Ski Sugar, (Sugar Mountain, near Banner Elk), ☎ 800-784-2768, . 8:00AM - 5:00PM, seasonal. $50-$150 per day. edit
- Hawksnest, 1778 Skyland Dr, Seven Devils, NC, ☎ +1 828-963-6561 (fax: +1 828-963-6564), . There hasn't been skiing there for the past couple of seasons, but they have upgraded their lodge and now exclusively offer tubing. edit
- Mast General Store, 630 W King St., ☎ +1 828-262-0000, . M-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su 1PM-5PM. Mercantile goods, groceries, candy, and outfitters with atmosphere. edit
- Los Arcoiris, 168 Boone Heights Drive, ☎ (828) 264-7770, . Collectively owned mostly authentic Mexican food in the mountains of NC - you've got to love this place, and you've got to try the Chile Verde! $. edit
- Black Cat Burrito, 127 S Depot St (Downtown). Since the year 2000, Black Cat has been serving some of North Carolina’s finest food: Legendary burritos the size of a football, or an abnormally small child. For the majority of those eight years, Black Cat has also been home to some of Boone, North Carolina’s finest live music, drawing both from the fantastic local music scene as well as artists from around the country and around the world. $. edit
- Boone Bagelry, 516 W. King St, ☎ (828) 262-5585. Up early and need a tasty and bagel-filled breakfast? On King Street and need a quick lunch? Boone Bagelry serves the best of both! $. (36° 13.079',81° 40.921') edit
- Macado's, 539 W King St, ☎ (828) 264-1375, . Known for sandwiches. $$. edit
- Mellow Mushroom, 957 Rivers St, ☎ +1 828-262-9801, . College town pizza restaurant $$. edit
- Mountain Bagels, 211 Boone Heights Dr., ☎ (828) 268-2362, . edit
- Game Keeper in Foscoe has excelent wild game.
- Daniel Boone Inn for good southern food. The trick is to call and order takeout for much cheaper.
- Stick Boy Bread Company, 345 Hardin St., ☎ 1.828.268.9900, . m-fri 7AM-6.30PM, sat. 7AM-5.30PM, closed Sunday. Great bread, pastries, coffee, etc. $. edit
- Pepper's Restaurant and Bar, 240 Shadowline Dr., ☎ 1.828.262.1250, . m-fri 11AM-9PM, Sat&Su 11AM-10PM. $$. edit
- Cafe Portofino, 970 Rivers Street, ☎ 1.828.264.7772, . $$. edit
- Casa Rustica, 1348 Hwy 105, ☎ 1.828.262.5128, . Homeade Italian and American $$$. edit
- Crave, 203 Boone Heights Dr., ☎ 1.828.355.9717, . Tapas and martini bar $$. edit
- Red Onion Cafe, 227 Hardin Street, ☎ 1.828.264.5470, . 11AM-??. Great variety of amazing food. The quesadillas are awesome! $$. edit
- Bare Essentials Natural Market, 273 Boone Heights Dr, ☎ +1 828 262-5592. M-Sa 9AM-7PM, Su 12PM-6PM. edit
- Murphy's Restaurant & Pub, 747 W King St, ☎ +1 828-264-5117 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Lunch and Dinner, 7 days a week. $10-$15. edit
- Espresso News, Howard St.. Great coffee shop with a large variety of books upstairs. edit
- Bald Guy Brew, 368-4 Hwy 105 By-Pass, Boone NC 28607, ☎ 828.406.2021, . A socially responsible micro-roaster of single origin, eco-friendly coffees, dedicated to making a difference in the world one pound at a time! edit
- Boondocks Brewing Tap Room and Restaurant, 108 S. Jefferson Ave, West Jefferson, ☎ 1.336.246.5222, . 11:30AM-9PM 7 Days a Week. Craft Brewery located in the heart of Ashe County in West Jefferson. Constantly rotating craft beer list plus wine and bottle beers and an affordable menu featuring casual-upscale high-quality items using fresh and locally grown ingredients. edit
- Peabody's Wine and Beer, 1104 Highway 105, ☎ 1.828.264.9476, . 10AM-12AM m-th, 10AM-1AM fri&sa, 10AM-10PM sun. Large selection of imported and domestic beer and wine. edit
- Boone Saloon, 489 West King St, ☎ 828.264.1811, . Where the App State upperclassmen and professors tend to drink. edit
- Country Inn and Suites, 818 E King St., ☎ 1-800-456-4000 (email@example.com, fax: +1 828-264-4104), . High speed internet access, fitness center. edit
- Lovill House Inn, 404 Old Bristol Rd., ☎ +1 828-264-4204, . Built in 1875 by Captain E.F. Lovill, a Civil War hero and State senator, offers private baths, TV and VCR, and wireless internet access. $130-$210. edit
- InnPlace Hotel Boone, 1075 Highway 105, Boone, NC 28607, ☎ 828-264-0077, . Boasts modern-day amenities with the comforts and charm of a down-home hotel in the heart of High Country. Features 96 spacious rooms on five floors, offering complimentary Internet access, 30-inch flat-panel TVs with HBO, and two room types. edit
- Stone Pillar Bed and Breakfast, 144 Pine St., ☎ +1 828-295-4141. edit
Watauga Lake Cabins, 803-524-5185, .offers a range of cabins from simplistic to high-end, this cabin rental company has been offering vacation homes to visitors of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Appalachia for nearly ten years. Cabins that are perfectly centric to the great Watauga Lake, Cherokee National Forest and the town destinations of Boone and Blowing Rock. Call (803) 524-5185 for details.
- Blue Ridge For Rent, Boone, NC, ☎ 828-278-8070, . checkin: 4pm; checkout: 11am. Offering 100 Mountain Vacation Rentals and spanning 3 counties, covering Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk and Ashe County in Western North Carolina. All budgets, all party sizes, group rentals and colleges welcome. $100-$500/nt.. edit
- Carolina Cabin Rentals, Inc., 197 Old US 321, Blowing Rock, NC (About 1/4 mile north of Blue Ridge Parkway on Hwy 321 between Boone and Blowing Rock), ☎ 828-295-6000, . checkin: 4pm; checkout: 11am. Offers vacation cabins near area attractions throughout the Boone, NC area. From studios to 7 bedroom cabins. Guests may call the office or make a reservation online. $90-$1,000/nt.. edit
Most locations that offer skiing also have resorts. They tend to be more expensive than lodging in town, but will keep you closer to the activity.
- Sugar Ski and Country Club, 100 Sugar Ski Dr., Banner Elk, NC (Near Banner Elk), ☎ 1-800-634-1320, . $100-$250 per night. edit
Mill Ridge Resort in Banner Elk on NC 105. offers 1-5 bedroom homes available for rent which include tennis, Swimming Pool, Hiking and much more. They have very reasonable year around rates. millridgeresort.com
Boone is a very safe community. However, bears are not unknown, so keep your wits about you.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!