Bo'ao (博鳌; Bó'áo) is a town on the east coast of Hainan in China.
Boao, the seat of the Boao Forum for Asia, has its share of luxury hotels. Tourist facilities are well developed, with heavy overseas Chinese investment.
Bo'ao is somewhat over an hour from Haikou and about two hours from Sanya.
Taxi from Qionghai coach station ¥30-40 (negotiate!). Bus number 2 ¥3.
Bike rentals range around ¥30 per hour or hop a motorcycle taxi for around ¥5 or less per trip to nearly anywhere around Bo'ao.
- Bo'ao Forum, (from Sanya take the high speed bullet train to Boao station, taxi ¥50 to Boao Town; from Haikou take the bullet train to the Qionghai station, take a shuttle bus into Qionghai and transfer to bus #2, a taxi from the Qionghai train station to Boao will run around ¥40). This is a meeting place for Asian heads of state, which is a popular tourist attraction for Chinese tour groups. Of little interest to the average foreign tourist. edit
- Boao Golf & Country Club, (on an island of the Wanquan River), ☎ +86 898 62779659 (email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +86 898 62778315). //www.boaogolf.com. It is surrounded by mountains, river and ocean. The course is built totally upon the original landscape. The natural plant and surroundings have been kept unchanged. edit
Boao has everything from five star dining, ocean front seafood dining to local eateries featuring Chinese cusine from nearly every province. The main street of Boao is lined with outdoor restaurants and fruit sellers serving until the wee hours of the night.
Boao is surrounded by fields of pineapples. Sample a peeled pineaple on a stick for only ¥1. A tropical island, visitors to Hainan can eat fresh fruit all year round.
- Aozhuang, ☎ +86 898 62777123. One of Boao's best dining experiences is found not in a high-class restaurant but at a local seafood restaurant right on the beach near the town of Boao. The restaurant is an open air restaurant looking east towards the South China Sea. While the food is delicious, with superb local seafood and fresh vegetables, the biggest attraction is the location. To relax on a balmy evening over a cold beer, looking out over the beach and listening to the sound of the surf at evening fall, until all you can see is the lights of the fishing boats out at sea, it does not get much better than this. edit
- Boao Inn B&B, 1 Wanghaui Rd (take a bus to Qionghai, then bus 2 to Boao), ☎ +86 13876271007, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: noon. Cozy four room inn. Run by an American and her Chinese photo journalist husband. Hearty Western breakfast included. Private guided photographic tours of remote Li and Miao villages, secluded beaches, flora and fauna. Wi-Fi, satellite TV. Excellent location for cyclists and sea/river kayakers. Airport pick up/drop off available. ¥395 for a double. edit
- Boao Yudaiwan Hotel, (short walk to bus stop), . New, big and comfortable. Huge swimming pool, two restaurants. edit
- Boao Sofitel Hotel, (on the beachfront, on tropical Dongyu Island). The resort features 437 spacious rooms, five restaurants, five bars, a business centre and indoor/outdoor spas. Recreation facilities include a swimming pool, outdoor natural hot springs, a fitness centre, tennis courts and a new world class PGA championship golf course designed by Graham Marsh. The BFA Convention Center provides extensive state-of-the-art conference facilities for up to 2,000 delegates. edit