Bhuj is a city in the Kutch district of the Gujarat region of India.
Bhuj is kind of an historical city. It has a long history of kings and empires.
Bhuj has a population of about 130,000.It serves as a stop over to explore the remote areas of Kutch. Bhuj can also serve as base where day trips to dhordo,khavda and kala dungar can be done.
From Mumbai you can reach Bhuj by plane on Air India and Jet Airways. There are other connections from all major cities of Gujarat. You can also get here by train from Mumbai.
The city is not big so you can get around by many ways. Catch an auto-rickshaw (tuk-tuk),
or you can try to hire a guide with his vehicle. Bargaining is a must as they will quote high if they see you are a first timer. If you have time you can also hire a bicycle and roam around the city.
- Shree Swaminayan Temple, Near Hamirsar lake. A magnificent architectural masterpiece built from marble a stunning place to visit. The all white structure of the temple is sure to take breath away. edit
- Pragmahal Palace. The palace of rulers of Kutchh region. Maharao Pragmalji initiated the creation of this palace. This Gothic styled structure is must visit. Opens at 10am. edit
- Aaina Mahal, in compound of Pragmahal Palace. Literally translates as Palace of Mirrors. And it is. A beautiful palace now renovated after massive earthquake in 2001. It also houses a handicraft museum where the crafts from various parts of Kutch is put. edit
- Hamirsar Lake. In the heart of the city, the lake is quite a site to sit and chill out while roaming around it. edit
- Bhujiyo Hill. A fort made by ancient rulers to protect the city. Now it is open for common public to see. A sure shot favorite if photography is your interest. You can get a nice panoramic view of whole city from here. edit
- Chhatardi [Cenotaphs], Near Hamirsar Lake. The cenotaphs of rulers is a picturesque place. Featured in Bollywood movies, the place and garden around it makes a nice time. edit
Bhuj is mostly famous for its handicrafts. You can get variety of clothes and other things having this kind of art work. And don't forget to buy sweets - try Khavada, it has branches at many place in bhuj.
- WAMA, 34/b, New Nirmalsinghji Ni Wadi (close to Manas Apartment, behind Bhanusali Nagar), ☎ 02832232354. 9AM - 7.30PM. Finest quality hand embroidered goods of Kutch. Also information of various crafts and craftsmen of the region. mobile +919825491419 edit
- Shrujan, Post. Bhujodi, Near Bhuj (12 kms on Bhuj Gandhidham Highway). For good quality embroidery products of Kutch edit
- Bhujodi Village, (On the way from Bhuj to Gandhidham). This is the handicraft village. People make the crafts and garments at their own home and sell there only. You can even see the process of weaving the garments. A fantastic value for money place to buy the items. edit
Most places are vegetarian. You can find non-veg food in big hotels or in the outskirts of city. There are many good restaurants like Neelam, KBN, Anando, Green Rock.
- Group V, New Station Road, ☎ 9426142903, . Online store of products from Kutch edit
- Maharaja Restaurant, Near S.T. Out Gate, Above Maharaj Pavbhaji,, ☎ 02832-220349. Very Nice AC Veg. restaurant, Good Service and Very cooperative staffs. Dont forget to try Mushroom Chilly. Avg. cost for 2 is Rs. 300. edit
If you want to drink alcoholic beverages you will need to get a license to carry liquor. So please be aware that in the whole state of Gujarat alcohol is illegal. Better you enjoy local drinks. You can have buttermilk made from curd. You can also enjoy locally available milk.
On the outward main road parallel to the Shroff market and very close to the bus station is Bharat juice center which serves milkshakes, fresh juices and ice cream.
- Hotel Anjali, Sahajanand Anexy, New Station Road, Bhuj. Budget hotel in prime location. It's clean with courteous staff, and has a very central location Rs400 to 1200. edit
- City Guesthouse, Langa Street, Bhuj (From Durbargarh gate go east and take a right on the first road/alley). Budget guesthouse. Clean, with large courtyard common area Rs300 to 1200. edit
Bhuj, being one of the very few main towns of the Kutch region, serves as a central access point to most of the remote regions of Kutch.
Some of the places worth a visit as a tourist-
Dhordo-famous for its white desert
Khalo dungar is a picturesque hilltop overlooking the ocean across which lies Pakistan
Down south is the shipping port town of Mandvi, which houses a beautiful palace owned by Pritviraj Chauhan and a calm beach along the windfarm.