Bhimtal is a lake town at an altitude of 1370 mts. The pride of Bhimtal is a beautiful lake which offers magnificent vistas.
The lake is larger than the Nainital lake. Boating is a possibility. There is an island in the lake, and a restaurant is located atop it. The distance of the island from the lake shore is 91m. There is a 17th century Bhimeshwar temple complex along the 40 feet high dam.
Bhimtal Lake is named after the second Pandava brother Bhima in the Mahabharata.
Best time to visit
All year round. March-June offers pleasant summer weather, July and August are monsoon months with lush greenery all around, and the winter months offer spectacular views of the snow-capped Himalayas and fresh snowfall.
The town is 22km from Nainital and 11km from Bhowali. The local bus stand and taxi stand is situated near the dam. One road from Bhimtal leaves for Naukuchiatal, while the other one goes to Kathgodam, 21km away.
Connectivity is available from Indian Rail up to Kathgodam and from Kathgodam by road with taxis readily available. The nearest airport is PantNagar at a distance of 35km.
Taxis are readily available. There are lots of mountain and forest trails to hike in.
- Bhimtal lake
- The farms and forests of Bhimtal
- Birds and wildlife
- Boating. and walking around the Bhimtal lake.
- water zorbing. In Bhimtal.
- Para-gliding near Naukuchiatal.
- camping in Sattal.
- Exploring the 7 lakes of Sattal, through a forest hike.
Kumaoni food. Anglo-Indian recipes of colonial descendants who still live here.
- Smetaceks' Colonial Homestay. The Smetacek family has a fascinating history; in the 1930s, Frederick Smetacek fled the Nazis and managed to board a ship sailing to India. He established himself as a successful businessman in Calcutta, where he married Shaheda Ahad, a descendant of famous warrior-king Tipu Sultan! They moved their family to the hills of Kumaon and bought a chunk of land on Jones Estate (a property spanning over a thousand acres, owned by the then magistrate, Colonel Jones). Today, the Smetaceks’ family home retains its colonial, old-world charm, with its original mud-and-stone walls, 19th century glass panes in the doors, wood and tin roof, antique furniture, and ancient knick-knacks. Double rooms are priced at INR3,000 per night. Advance booking is required & can be done via India Untravelled at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- V Resorts Sattal- A Lakeside Retreat, 10, Surya Gaon, Sattal Lake, Bhimtal, Uttarakhand-122002, ☎ 01204004800, . The resort is situated on the hill overlooking the Sattal Lake.Here you can relax in a hammock in one the three private gardens and explore the activity room here which offers a wide variety of games and activities including a pool table, playing cards, a painting set and board games like Ludo or browse through the large collection of books. The resort is set up in clusters of cottages with three rooms per cottage and each cottage offering a private balcony from where the guests can take in amazing views of the hills and the lakes.The also have some local Kumaoni dishes on the menu for those that want to try some regional food and a bonfire and grill can be set up in the evening. One can also get a massage or have karaoke. Movie nights can also be arranged as there is a projector that can be used. One can shop for local goods like Rhododendron juice, jams and more at the inhouse shop. 2800. (29.3411987,79.4616978) edit
- Day trips to Nainital and Naukuchiyatal