- For other places with the same name, see Bethesda (disambiguation).
Bethesda is an unincorprated city in Montgomery County in the state of Maryland. It is 1.5 miles northwest from the border of Washington, D.C., inside the circular I-495, the Capital Beltway.
Bethesda was a quiet suburb until 1984, when the Red Line of the Metrorail was extended. This brought an explosion of growth, and many high rise office and apartment buildings were built. Bethesda became the major suburban destination in Maryland for wining and dining, and is much more family-friendly than anywhere in D.C. itself. Bethesda is generally ranked #1 in the list of the most educated cities in the U.S. and the richest neighborhoods in the U.S.
Baltimore-Washington International IATA: BWI, Dulles International IATA: IAD, and Washington Reagan National IATA: DCA airports are all more or less equidistant by taxi from downtown Bethesda, usually taking about 30-45 minutes, without traffic. Budget an extra 30 minutes during rush hour.
For information on getting from the airports to Bethesda, see Washington,_D.C.#Get_in
The Bethesda Metrorail Station is served by Washington, D.C. Metrorail Red Line and is at the intersection of Wisconsin Ave and Old Georgetown Road.
From New York City
- Tripper Bus, ☎ 1 718 834-9214. Service to Penn Station in New York City. Pickup/dropoff near the Metrorail stations in Bethesda and Rosslyn. $27+ discounts available with multiple online tickets purchased.
- Vamoose Bus, ☎ +1 301 718-0036. Service to Penn Station in New York City Pickup/dropoff near the Metro stations in Bethesda and Rosslyn. $30+ free ticket with every four purchased.
From other points in Montgomery County, MD
Ride-on-Bus and MetroBus operate service between downtown Bethesda and other locations in Montgomery County, including Rockville, Silver Spring, and Wheaton.
Wisconsin Ave (Route 355) and Connecticut Avenue run from Downtown Washington DC to Bethesda.
The Capital Crescent Trail, which runs from Georgetown to Silver Spring passes through Bethesda. Between Bethesda and Georgetown the trail is smooth asphalt suitable for rollerblading, while from Bethesda to Silver Spring is currently loose gravel.
Bethesda Circulator operates free bus service within downtown Bethesda. It runs every 10 minutes M-Th 7AM-11PM, F 7AM-midnight, Sa 10AM-2AM, Su no service.
Ride-on-Bus and MetroBus operate service between downtown Bethesda and other locations in Bethesda, including Montgomery Mall and the National Institutes of Health.
You can walk around downtown Bethesda—it's not so big.
Parking is usually only available in the public garages, which have rates starting at $0.80 per hour.
Parking enforcement is aggressive and fines start at $45 for an expired meter.
Bethesda is not known for its sights; it's known for its restaurants and bars. Nonetheless, you might be interested to see:
- Art Galleries, . There are several art galleries in Bethesda and regular tours of the galleries are organized. edit
- The National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike (north on Wisconsin), . The mammoth collection of buildings housing the majority of the nation's government bio-research. Due to worries about the security of the bio-weapons research programs here, admission of non-employees to the grounds requires a security screening. edit
- Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, . The view from Wisconsin Ave of the main building is plenty impressive. If you see a helicopter landing on that main building, it's probably the president or one of the top cabinet officials—this is where they get their repairs. Frankin Delano Roosevelt sketched the design for the impressive main building. edit
- The Madonna of the Trail statue, Wisconsin Ave & Old Georgetown Rd, . The Madonna of the Trail memorial was dedicated at Bethesda in 1929 by the Daughters of the American Revolution. It is one of 12 identical memorials that mark the National Old Trails Road, also known as the Ocean-to-Ocean Highway. Each Madonna of the Trail monument stands 18 feet tall and weighs 17 tons and is constructed of algonite stone. The statue depicts a pioneer woman clasping her baby with her young son clinging to her skirts and is a tribute to the women that headed west with their pioneer husbands. edit
Bethesda Urban Partnership sponsors many events including free concerts, movie showings, and art exhibitions, all of which are posted on the website.
- Cabin John Regional Park, 7400 Tuckerman Lane, ☎ 301-299-0024, . The nicest park in Montgomery County, it features an ice-skating rink; indoor and outdoor tennis courts; and many picnic areas, trails and camp sites. edit
- Bowlmor Lanes Bowling, 5353 Westbard Ave, ☎ +1 301 652-0955, . M 5PM-2AM, Tu-Th 5PM-midnight, F-Sa 11AM-2AM, Su 11AM-11:30PM. A big, 34-lane upscale bowling alley with two large and popular bars. $4-9/game depending on time, Monday night special: $14 all-you-can-bowl +shoes 8PM-close. edit
- Bethesda Live, 7719 Wisconsin Avenue, . edit
- Strathmore Hall (The Music Center at Strathmore), 5301 Tuckerman Lane North Bethesda, MD 20852-3385, ☎ (301) 581-5100, . A fantastic hall for seeing concerts because of its state-of-the-art acoustics and great seating. Even the last row has great sound and viewing lines. Check the schedule to find everything from classical music symphonies to rock concerts to kids music performances. edit
- Bethesda Row Arts Festival, . Mid-October, 10AM-5PM. A festival featuring arts and crafts for sale by local artists and live music. edit
- Taste of Bethesda, . Early October, 11AM-4PM. The taste of Bethesda is the biggest festival of the year, when people from all over the area come to sample Bethesda's restaurant offerings and to enjoy big free concerts. A pack of 4 taste tickets costs $5, and restaurants will give you a food serving for 1-4 tickets. Many great restaurants participate! edit
- Apple Store Bethesda Row, 4860 Bethesda Ave, ☎ +1 301 634-0880, . One of the few Apple stores in the DC area. edit
- Bethesda Farm Women's Market, . Dates back to the Great Depression. Food, drink, and crafts are sold. edit
- Westfield Montgomery Mall, 7101 Democracy Blvd, . Includes many clothing stores such as Aeropostale, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Apparel, American Eagle, Banana Republic, Forever 21, GAP, Old Navy as well as an Apple Store and a food court. edit
Bethesda is known throughout the Washington D.C. area for its nearly 200 restaurants.
- Bangkok Garden, 4906 St. Elmo Ave, ☎ +1 301 951-0670, . This Thai restaurant is one of the best in the D.C. area. It has relatively inexpensive food served in a warm, inviting atmosphere. edit
- Gringos & Mariachis, 4928 Cordell Ave, ☎ +1 240 800-4266, . Tacos and margaritas. edit
- South Street Steaks, 4856 Cordell Ave, ☎ +1 301 215-7972, . Su-Th 11AM-9PM, F-Sa 11AM-3AM. Philly cheesesteaks. No, really: authentic Philly cheesesteaks on Amoroso rolls, right here at a sit-down eatery in Bethesda, and they taste like you got them right out of Geno's window in Philadelphia. If you're not from Philadelphia, you can look like you are in the know by ordering a "nine (or twelve) inch whiz wit." Don't worry, they'll understand that, you won't look silly, and you'll get your cheesesteak with the traditional cheese whiz and grilled onions. In addition to legit Philly cheesesteaks and late hours, this eatery draws customers with a bunch of specialty subs, like the missteak, a monstruous sub stuffed with 1 lb steak, 8 pieces bacon, pepperoni, fries, and three types of cheese (feeds up to four). $7-16. edit
- Tastee Diner, 7731 Woodmont Ave, ☎ +1 301 652-3970, . 24 hours daily. Looking for the true American diner experience with greasy spoons and waitresses with too much eye shadow? How about cheap eats any time of day or night? Look no further than the Tastee Diner to serve your needs. Indeed, this might be the most dineresque diner in the D.C. area. $3-11. edit
- Vace's Italian Deli, 4705 Miller Ave, ☎ +1 301 654-6367, . M-Tu,Sa 9AM-8PM, W-F 9AM-9PM, Su 10AM-4PM. Vace's serves the best, most authentic New York style pizza you'll find anywhere this far south. Takeout only. $8-12. edit
- Bethesda Crab House, 4958 Bethesda Ave, ☎ +1 301 652-3382, . 9AM-11PM daily. What better reason to cross the District line into Maryland than a Maryland crab feast! This is not a fancy restaurant, it is a crab shack that somehow made its way into Bethesda, with the brown paper on the table, buckets of crabs, tons of Old Bay seasoning, and a lot of messy patrons. $20-40; all-you-can-eat crab feast: $35/person. edit
- Jaleo, 7271 Woodmont Ave, ☎ +1 301 913-0003, . Su-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F-Sa 11:30AM-midnight. José Andrés' excursion to Bethesda brings the same excellent modern takes on Spanish tapas and the same excellent sherry and port lists. While extremely popular, this location is big enough where you can get a table without reservations. $20-40. edit
- Maki Maki, 8023 Wisconsin Ave, ☎ +1 301 913-9888. M-Sa 11AM-10PM, Su noon-9:30PM. Just a bit north of the hotbed of restaurants, this unassuming but pleasant and friendly corner sushi bar is excellent. They specialize in creative sushi (or Maki) dishes like the "Red Dragon" (spicy crunchy tuna inside, topped with avocado, tobiko and spicy sauce) and "Fuji Maki" (eel, tobiko, shrimp tempura, cucumber, tamago, cream cheese & eel sauce). $15-30. edit
- Mon Ami Gabi, 7239 Woodmont Ave, ☎ +1 301 654-1234, . A french bistro in an art deco setting. edit
- Olazzo, 7921 Norfolk Ave, ☎ +1 301 654-9496, . Italian food in a rustic environment. edit
- Passage to India, 4931 Cordell Ave, ☎ +1 301 656-3373, . 11:30AM-2:30PM, 5:30PM-10PM daily. The often fiery cuisine here is some of the best Indian food you'll find anywhere in the metro area, and it's also attractive, rather quiet, and has reliably excellent service. If you are up for a challenge, try to finish one of their vindaloos without asking them to dull down the spice level. $16-30. edit
- Raku, 7240 Woodmont Ave, ☎ +1 202 718-8680, . Lunch: M-F 11:30AM-2:30PM, Sa-Su noon-3PM; dinner: Su-Th 5PM-10PM, F-Sa 5PM-10:30PM. Arguably the best Asian food in Bethesda. It's kid-friendly and rather noisy, but the food is made with incredibly fresh, high quality ingredients, and will not likely disappoint. Very popular so make a reservation or get there early. $11-35. edit
- Redwood, (in the center of Bethesda's busiest pedestrian plaza), ☎ +1 301 656 5515, . Lunch: M-F 11:30AM-2:30PM, Sa 11:30AM-3PM, Su 10:30AM-3PM; dinner: M-W 5:30-9PM, Th 5:30-10PM, F 5:30-11PM, Sa 5-11PM, Su 5-9PM. Featuring seasonal New American cuisine using natural, organic and sustainable ingredients. $30-60'. edit
- Uncle Julio's Rio Grande, 5870 Bethesda Ave, ☎ +1 301 656-2981, . M-Th 11AM-10:30PM, F-S 10-11:30. Serves the absolute best Mexican food in Bethesda, everything authentic. Torilla bread made in house in front of your eyes, and free chips before your meal. edit
- Woodmont Grill, 7715 Woodmont Ave, ☎ +1 301 656-9755, . American food. Live jazz music nightly. edit
- PassionFish Bethesda, 7187 Woodmont Ave, ☎ +1 301 358-6116, . Seafood and great cocktails in a sleek atmosphere. edit
- Persimmon, 7003 Wisconsin Ave, ☎ +1 301 654-9860, . edit
- Barking Dog, 4723 Elm St, ☎ +1 301 654-0022, . Dance floor upstairs. edit
- Black's Bar & GKitchen, 7750 Woodmont Ave, ☎ +1 301 652-6278, . M-Th 11:30AM-midnight, F 11:30AM-1AM, Sa noon-1AM, Su noon-10PM. A very nice place for a few drinks with some oysters on the half shell, particularly during happy hour (M-F 4PM-7PM), when there are good deals to be had on both the oysters and the drinks. It can get very crowded around meal times—make reservations. edit
- Brickside, 4866 Cordell Ave, ☎ +1 301 312-6160, . Local modern American bar. A relaxed environment with artisan bar food, creative drinks, and neighborly service. Crowded during happy hour with a professional crowd and hosts trivia nights on Wednesdays. edit
- Caddies on Cordell, 4922 Cordell Ave, ☎ +1 301 215-7730, . A sports bar. edit
- Flanagan's Harp and Fiddle Pub, 4844 Cordell Ave, ☎ +1 301 951-0115, . Good Irish pub with all the beer and food you'd expect. edit
- Grapeseed Bistro & Wine Bar, 4865 Cordell Ave, ☎ +1 301 986-9592, . The best wine list in Bethesda. edit
- Rock Bottom Brewery, 7900 Norfolk Ave, ☎ +1 301 652-1311, . Su-Th 11AM-1AM, F-Sa 11AM-2AM. The food is fine, but this small but national chain is best visited for the excellent beers on tap, which can be ordered in sampling glasses. DJs show up F-Sa nights, but this isn't really the sort of place for that. Great people watching from the outdoor seating in good weather. edit
- Tyber Bierhaus, 7525 Old Georgetown Rd, ☎ +1 301 913-0352, . Great selection of German and Belgian beers. edit
- Villain & Saint, 7141 Wisconsin Ave, ☎ +1 301 800-4700, . Live music and good food. Try the buttermilk fried chicken, pork ribs,zucchini pancakes, or wok-fried eggplant. edit
- Vino Volo, 7243 Woodmont Ave, ☎ +1 301 656-0916, . A popular wine bar. edit
- Bethesda Marriott Suites, 6711 Democracy Blvd, ☎ +1 301 897-5600, . edit
- Bethesda Court Hotel, 7740 Wisconsin Ave (1.5 blocks north of the the Bethesda Metrorail station), ☎ +1 301 656-2100, . edit
- Bethesda Marriott, 5151 Pooks Hill Rd (Not within walking distance to downtown or Metrorail), ☎ +1 301 897-9400, . edit
- Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, 5701 Marinelli Rd, ☎ +1 301 822-9200, . This hotel offers conference space and services for any event. It also offers a fitness center, heated indoor pool, restaurants, the largest ballroom in Maryland. edit
- Doubletree Bethesda Maryland, 8120 Wisconsin Ave, ☎ +1 301 652-2000, . $100-260. edit
- Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/Bethesda, 7301 Waverly St, ☎ +1 301 654-8111, . edit
- Hyatt Regency Bethesda, One Bethesda Metro Center (7400 Wisconsin Ave) (Right on top of the Bethesda Metro station), ☎ +1 301 657-1234, . $140-260. edit
- Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, 7335 Wisconsin Ave (One block from the Bethesda metro station), ☎ +1 301 718-0200, . $120-240. (38.982963,77.093493) edit
- The grave of American novelist F. Scott Fitzgerald (The Great Gatsby) at the nearby Saint Mary's Cemetery in Rockville.
- Silver Spring
- Washington, D.C. is only a 10 minute ride south on the Red Line Metrorail from the Bethesda Metrorail Station.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!