Bentota is a city in Southern Sri Lanka.
There are airconditioned buses (bus no. 2) that run from Colombo Fort to Galle that will stop at Bentota (2 - 2.5 hour journey)
and are fairly inexpensive (Rs. 150 or ~ 1.5 USD)
There is a small railway station in Bentota but most of the trains stop at Aluthgama (2 km from Bentota).
Bentota Perahera, (A2 road). Buddhism festival which happens once a year at the end of December. It is similar but smaller than the Esala Perahera in Kandy. Elphants, dancers, fire jugglers and musicians parade from 11:00 pm to 01:00 am edit
Turtle hatcheries, (Induruwa beach). Place where turtle eggs and babies are protected until their release. Open to tourists. edit
- Chaplon tea center, Galle road 190. Bentota, ☎ 914545083, . 08-23. Chaplon tea center in Bentota offers freshly picked ceylon tea from it's own estate. The tea center is made in colony style, remindig of the time, when Sri Lanka was a british colony. Tea is served on the veranda. edit
Lots of vendors in the town center just north of the bridge. Evening is quite busy with a variety of streetfood and local diners to choose from. Prices depend if the vendor offers you local pricing or tourist pricing that often range from 60Rp for noodles and eggs to 350Rp from a different salesman at the same vendor. So if you think you are being overcarged then bargain or choose another place.
There are also 2 Food City western style shops to be found in the center and a few bottleshops on the main street.
- Silk Route Cafe & Restaurant, 357 Warahena, ☎ 0342271717. Silk Route Café serves an authentic selection of culinary delights from countries in the ancient land & naval silk routes. The menu is inspired by the vibrant cultures on the route & their mastery in the use of spices,herbs & flavours. 5 $- 30 $. edit
Many beach restaurants on the beaches with prices on the higher side (Lion beer 400Rp, Curry 1500Rp) If you want to eat local then head to the town center where you should get a curry around 2-300Rp.
Theres a railroad running by the coastline and lots of hotels just a few meters from the railroad. So when you choose your place then check its location on the map. The train runs less during the night but 6am is already every 15min. Again less frequent in the middle of the day.
- AVANI Bentota, Bentota 80500 Sri Lanka, ☎ (+94) 344 947878, . checkin: 14.00 to 18.00; checkout: at 12.00. Avani Bentota Resort is located in Bentota district in South of Sri Lanka. This is an ideal family resort with 75 rooms. Main attractions for tourists are the Kosgoda Turtle Conservation Project, and the Galle fort USD 105. (6.423982,79.996283) edit
- Cocoon Resort and Villas, Kaikawala Road, Induruwa, 80510, ☎ +94(0)115744400 (fax: +94(0)117533233), . It offers accommodations with the following names: silk rooms, luxury villas, extravagant villas, and grand villas. All are equipped with a king-sized bed, air conditioning, and satellite/cable tv. The resort also has a restaurant, massage service and steamroom. edit
- Temple Tree Resort & Spa, 660, Galle Road, ☎ 94342270700, . Each room is equipped with an air-conditioner, cable TV, and mini-bar, coffee/tea maker. The hotel also has a swimming pool and spa, high-speed internet access, and provides airport and city transfers. Rates on official website start at USD 135.00. edit
- Dalmanuta Gardens - Ayurvedic Resort & Restaurant, 21 Meegama Road, Warapitiya, Bentota River (Along the Bentota River), ☎ 0773434434, . Dalmanuta Gardens is an Ayurvedic resort and restaurant surrounded by gardens. Dalmanuta Gardens offers a high quality Ayurvedic treatment in a relaxed environment. From 150 $. edit
Trains from Aluthgama station go to Columbo, Hikkaduwa and Galle.