Tongzhou is in Beijing.
Tongzhou can be reached by one of Beijing Subway's suburban lines, Batong Line. The stations from Beiyuan and until the terminal station are all in Tongzhou District. Alternatively, at Sihui Station you can change to bus 332, which goes to Beiyuan and continues along the main shopping avenue, Xinhua St. Finally, it is possible to go by bus 938#4 from Beijing Railway Station to Beiyuan and further along Xinhua St.
- Randengfo Pagoda (燃灯佛舍利塔; Rándēngfó Shèlìtǎ), Yongshun Rd, Tongzhou District (通州区永顺路; Tōngzhōuqū Yǒngshùnlù), ☎ +86 10 6966-1781. The oldest and tallest pagoda in Beijing and also the symbol and most famous landmark of Tongzhou. Presently (April 2009) it can not be climbed but only watched from the outside. edit
- Tongzhou Museum, 9 Xinhua West Road, ☎ +86 10 6954-6442. Tu-Su 08:00-11:30 and 14:00-17:30. Local history museum of the eastern gateway of Beijing. ¥3. edit
Songzhuang Artist's Village in Tongzhou District is the newest large art area to be found in Beijing, and could be argued to be the largest concentration of contemporary Chinese artists in the world. Already back in the 1980's, many artists lived in this village. During the 1990's artists from around the country moved here and in recent years, the number of artists have grown explosively to now more than 2,000. The area is concentrated in the village itself and especially the larger street, Renli Rd (任李路; Rènlǐ Lù), to the east of the village. Directions: Take bus 930qujian (930路区间) from Dawanglu Stn (Lines 1 and 10) to Renzhuangcun Stn (任庄村; Rènzhuāng Cūn) and walk north of Renlilu; alternatively, take the subway to Tongzhoubeiyuan (Batong Line) and take an unofficial taxi from there (negotiate the price before you get in, it should be around ¥30).
- Artist Village Gallery (宋庄画家村画廊; Sòngzhuānghuàjiācūnhuàláng), 1 north of Renzhuang Village, Songzhuang Village, Tongzhou District (通州区宋庄镇任庄村北1号; Tōngzhōuqū Sòngzhuāngzhèn Rènzhuāngcūn Běi), ☎ +86 10 6959-8343; +86 139 0124 4283 (email@example.com, fax: +86 10 6595-7655). 09:00-18:00 daily, appt recommended. This is a very large gallery, which aims at making local Songzhuang artists famous and making it possible for them to stay in the village while they build their fame. ¥20. edit
- Eye Haunt Art Space, 19 Xiaopu S St, Songzhuang, Tongzhou District (通州区宋庄小堡南街19号; Tōngzhōuqū Sòngzhuāng Xiǎopùnánjiē), ☎ +86 10 8680-9908. Gallery focusing on innovative emerging young artists. edit
- Soemo Fine Arts (苏蒙画廊; Sūmēnghuàláng), 66 Xiaopu S St, Songzhuang, Tongzhou District (通州区宋庄小堡南街66号; Tōngzhōuqū Sòngzhuāng Xiǎopùnánjiē), ☎ +86 10 8957-9113 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . The first foreign (Dutch) gallery in the area. Houses some of the very most famous artists in China as well as artists just breaking through. edit
- TS1 (宋庄壹号当代艺术中心; Sòngzhuāng Yīhàodāngdài Yìshùzhōngxīn), 600 m W of Liuheqiao, 102 Hwy, Songzhuang, Tongzhou District (通州区宋庄102国道六合桥向东600米), ☎ +86 10 6959-4127 (email@example.com, fax: +86 10 6959-4127), . 09:00-17:00. Promotes contemporary art in all forms and media. Represents now eight artists. edit
- Grand Canal Culture Park (运河文化广场; Yùnhéwénhuàguǎngchǎng), Tonghu Ave, Tongzhou District (通州区通胡大路; Tōngzhōuqū Tōnghúdàlù) (Bus 322 from Sihui Stn (Batong/Line 1) or Bus 938#4 from Beijing Station to Dongguandaqiao Stop (东关大桥) just after crossing the river). Park situated at the historic place where the Grand Canal strecting from Hangzhou to Beijing ended. Great place for a walk along the river and for showing your kite flying skills. The park also comprises playing grounds, cafés and a small restaurant primarily serving barbeque. Under the bridge you can roller skate during the day and dance in the evening. Except for winter, you can usually rent you own boat or try the tourist boats' 1½ hour trip on the canal, but presently (April 2009) this is temporarily suspended as there is almost no water in the river due to bridge construction work. Free. edit
- West Lake Park (西海子公园; Xīhǎizi Gōngyuán), Xihaizi W St, Tongzhou District (通州区西海子西街; Tōngzhōuqū Xīhǎizixījiē) (Bus 322 from Sihui Stn (Batong/Line 1) or Bus 938#4 from Beijing Station to Xinhua St Stop (新华大街), 200 m back, turn right and then right and left). Small park next to the old shopping street and market and with a view to Randengfo Pagoda. Small playground for the children. Free. edit
- Daying Tourism Resort (大营旅游度假村; Dàyínglǚyóudùjiàcūn), (百里长街东端大营村; ), ☎ +86 10 8958-2543. edit
- Grand Canal Golf Club (大运河高尔夫俱乐部; Dàyùnhé Gāoěrfū Jùlèbù), Hugezhuangxiang, Tongzhou (通州区胡各庄乡; Tōngzhōuqū Húgèzhuāngxiāng), ☎ +86 10 8958-3058. 7AM-8PM. Weekdays ¥400, weekends ¥600. edit
- Raying Temple. Used to be an underground music venue. Now closed (since 2012) edit
- Strawberry Fest, Tongzhou Canal Park. Annual around 1 May. Music festival focusing on local bands. ¥60 per day. edit
- Tongzhou Pool (通州区游泳馆), (Next to Tongzhou Market and just across from West Lake Park). Summer 1-9PM. Outdoor swimmping pool. ¥25. edit
The main shopping street is Xinhua E St (新华东街) and its extension Xinhua W St with a number of department stores as well as specialty shops. For smaller shops and a narrower street try West Meizi W St (西梅子西街). The supermarkets are primarily found south of Xinhua St.
- Tongzhou Market, West Meizi W St (西梅子西街) (Just S of the canal). Outdoor morning market in the old part of Tongzhou. Mostly food. edit
In Tongzhou District, the main restaurant street is Chezhan Road with dozens of restaurants.
- Xinbashu Shuizhuyu Sichuan Restaurant (鑫巴蜀水煮鱼川菜馆; Xīnbāshǔ Shuǐzhǔyú Chuāncàiguǎn; lit. Xinbashu Sliced-fish-in-hot-oil Sichuan Restaurant), 29 Chezhan Rd (车站路29号; Chēzhàn Lù) (Bus 647 to Chezhanlu Stop, or bus 667 to Xinhua Ave Stop), ☎ +86 10 6952-2039, . 11:00-22:00. Sichuan cuisine. The food is good but the service is not impressive. edit
- Taishouxi (太熟悉; Tàishúxī), 21 Chezhan Rd (车站路21号; Chēzhàn Lù), ☎ +86 10 6954-1996. Open 24 hours. This is one of the best restaurants on Chezhan Rd. Popular with locals, especially late at night when all other places are closed. Expensive. edit
- Daqinghua Dumpling Restaurant (大清花饺子; Dàqīnghuājiǎozi), E side of Qitian Hotel, Beiguan Roundabout (北关环岛齐天宾馆东侧; Běiguānhuándǎo Qítiānbīnguǎndōngcè), ☎ +86 10 6951-6655. 10:30-21:30. edit
- Guo Lin Restaurant (郭林家常菜; Guōlín Jiāchángcài), 14 Chezhan Rd (车站路14号; Chēzhàn Lù), ☎ +86 10 8088-1370. 10AM-9:30PM. edit
- 青年餐厅, 北京近郊通州区翠屏北里西区13号楼物业会所, ☎ +86 10 8151-7673. 10:30-14:00, 17:00-19:30.
- Dio Café (迪欧咖啡园景点; Díōu Kāfēiyuán Jǐngdiǎn), Yunjing E Rd (云景东路) (Liyuan Stn (Batong Line), exit B, walk a bit NW along Jingtang Hwy, turn and walk 500 m along Yunjing E Rd, it is on your R). Modern café with both Western and Chinese drinks and food. However, the staff is not familiar with the Western stuff, and you seem to get the same coffee regardless of what you order. edit
- Riverside Café (外滩风向西餐咖啡; Wàitānfēngxiàngxīcānkāfēi), Chezhan Rd (车站路; Chēzhànlù). Modern café with both Western and Chinese drinks and food. The best coffee in the district is served here. A nice place to hang out for a couple of hours. Free internet is available. edit
- Chaihuo Bar (柴火酒吧; Cháihuojiǔbā), Jiukeshu W Rd (九棵树西路; Jiǔkēshùxīlù) (200 m NW of Jiukeshu Stn (Batong Line)). edit
- Home Inn (Beijing Bailiqiao) (如家快捷酒店 (北京通州八里桥店)), 304 Yongshun S St (通州区永顺南街304号; Yǒngshùn Nánjiē). Listed rates for doubles from ¥199. edit
- Home Inn (Tongzhou Xinhua Ave) (如家快捷酒店 (北京通州新华大街店)), 163 Xinhua E Ave (新华东大街163号; Xīnhuá Dōng Dàjiē). Listed rates for doubles from ¥199. edit
- Jinjiang Inn, 23 Tonghu St. From around ¥200. edit
- Nongzhao Hotel (北京农招大酒店 (农业干部培训中心)), 124 N St, Tongzhou (通州区北大街124号; Tōngzhōuqū Běidàjiē). Listed rates for doubles from ¥320, discounted from ¥220. edit
- Yunheyuan Hotel (北京运河苑渡假村; Běijīng Yùnhéyuàn Dùjiàcūn), Songzhuangzhen, White Temple, Tongzhou (通州区宋庄镇白庙; Tōngzhōuqū Sòngzhuāngzhèn Báimiào). Rooms with internet against surcharge. The smallest rooms are quite small but more expensive are huge. Business center, gift shop, beauty salon, ticket office, night club, billiard, table tennins, bowling, tennis, indoor swimming pool, massage and sauna available. Chinese restaurant, seafood restaurant, barbeque and room service. Listed rates for doubles from ¥380, discounted from ¥270; breakfast ¥20. edit
- Beijing Dongfang Hotel (北京东方宾馆; Běijīng Dōngfāng Bīnguǎn), Chezhan Rd, Tongzhou (通州区车站路48号; Tōngzhōuqū Chēzhànlù) (On the main restaurant street in Tongzhou). Listed rates for doubles from ¥480, discounted from ¥258. edit
- Beijing Sun Flower Hotel (北京太阳花酒店; Běijīng Tàiyánghuā Jiǔdiàn), Cuibing North End, 201 Jiukeshuxi Rd (通州区九棵树西路翠屏北里201号; Tōngzhōuqū Jiǔkēshùxīlù Cuìbǐngběilǐ). Listed rates for doubles from ¥1,100, discounted rates from ¥360. edit
- Asia Pacific Garden (北京亚太花园酒店;), 75 Yuqiaoxi Rd, Tongzhou (通州区玉桥西路75号; ), ☎ +86 10 8152-8822 (fax: +86 10 8152-1999). Spacious rooms with internet, for the cheapest against surcharge. Business center, beauty salon, ticket office, billiard, table tennis, fitness, indoor swimming pool and massage available. Chinese and Western restaurants, coffee shop and room service. Listed rates for doubles from ¥1,242, discounted from ¥448; breakfast ¥35. edit
- Canalfamily Hotel (北京运河人家度假酒店; Běijīng Yùnhé Rénjiādùjiàjiǔdiàn), 6 Binhe Rd, Rulin, Tongzhou District (通州区儒林滨河路6号; Tōngzhōuqū Rúlín Bīnhélù), ☎ +86 10 6155-6155 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +86 10 6155-0899), . Four star hotel located in rural surroundings close to the Grand Canal. Downtown Tongzhou with restaurants, shops and sights is easily accessed by taxi. The rooms are without internet access. Business center, gift shop, beauty salon and ticket office available. There a many recreational opportunities here including disco, karaoke, billiard, table tennis, bowling, tennis, golf, massage, sauna, indoor/outdoor swimming pools and water sports. Chinese and Western restaurants as well as tea house and room service. Listed rates for doubles from ¥1,280, discounted from ¥348, breakfast ¥30. edit
- Beijing Yunheyuan Hotel (北京运河源酒店; Běijīng Yùnhéyuàn Jiǔdiàn), (通州区运河西大街172号; Tōngzhōuqū Yùnhéxīdàjiē), ☎ +86 10 8158-6668 (fax: +86 10 8158 6668-8502). Rooms with free internet. Listed rates for doubles ¥2,640, discounted from ¥318 including breakfast. edit
- Holiday Inn Beijing Moonriver (北京月亮河假日酒店; Běijīng Yuèlianghé Jiàrìjiǔdiàn), 1 Yulianghe Hebin Rd, Tongzhou District (通州区月亮河河滨路1号; Tōngzhōuqū Yuèlianghé Hébīnlù), ☎ +86 10 8952-3737. Located next to the ancient Grand Canal near the historic place where the canal from Huangzhou to Beijing ended. This place is located at the eastern edge of Beijing close to small villages but easily accessed via the Jingtong Expressway. Business center, gift shop, beauty salon, ticket office, laundry service, karaoke, billiard, table tennis, bowling, tennis, golf, swimming pool, massage and sauna available. Chinese and Japanese restaurants as well as coffee shop, tea house, bar and room service. Listed rates for doubles ¥1,817, discounted from ¥527, breakfast ¥113. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!