Batusangkar is a city in West Sumatra, 41 km at the southeast of Bukittinggi. It's the capital city of the ancient Minangkabau royalty of Pagaruyung Kingdom. There are many Minangkabau historical and archeological sites belongs to Pagaruyung Kingdom.
- The Great Palace of Pagaruyung. It's the replica of the palace of Pagaruyung Kingdom. It's the largest rumah gadang (Minangkabau traditional house) and one of the best Minangkabau architecture.
- Silinduang Bulan Palace. Another palace of Pagaruyung Kingdom. Located near the Great Palace of Pagaruyung.
- Balimbing Village. An old traditional Minangkabau village. It's famous for its Rumah Gadang Kampai nan Panjang, one of the oldest rumah gadang. It's a beautiful and antique rumah gadang which uniquely built wtihout a nail.
- Pariangan Village. It's the oldest Minangkabau village. The civilization of Minangkabau people was started here. It's a picturesque village on the foot of Mount Marapi. You can find some archeological sites and beautiful old mosque and rumah gadang. There's also a mineral hot spring beside the mosque.
- Balairung Sari Tabek. An ancient Minangkabau meetings hall.
- Tabek Patah. A beautiful park with the scenery of green rice field terracering. Enjoy the view and the mild weather with Kawa Daun, a traditional coffee leaves drink.
- Pangek. Minangkabau style of pepes from goldfish.
- Daun Kawa. Daun kawa is made from roasted dry leaves of the coffee tree. The dried leaves are boiled in hot water and put into sections of bamboo and drunk from a "cawan tampuruang" (coconut shell). It can be found in Bukittinggi, Payakumbuh and Batusangkar. Please ask anyone, especially people over age 40. They will show you where a good place is to taste Daun Kawa! Price Rp. 5.000 - 15.000 in 2009.
- Bukittinggi. A popular tourist mountain town. There are some interesting places like Jam Gadang and Sianok Canyon.
- Sawahlunto. A little Dutch town with many historical buildings with Duch architecture. It was originally a Dutch coal mining town. Visit Railway Museum, a museum of railway history of West Sumatra located at old railway station; Mbah Soero Tunnel, a historical coal mining tunnel; and Gudang Ransum Museum, a museum about the history of mining in Sawahlunto. Another historical buildings are Sawahlunto Cultural Centre, St. Lucia Church, Pek Sin Kek Mansion, etc. Sawahlunto is a unique town because it's located in a large mining hollow.
- Solok and South Solok. The land of thousands Rumah Gadang. Visit the Village of Thousand Rumah Gadang and Palace of Rajo Balun. Also visit the twin lakes, Lake Diatas and Lake Dibawah. There's also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Kerinci Seblat National Park.