The Big Pineapple in Bathurst
Bathurst , the pineapple capital of South Africa is located in the Eastern Cape.
Bathurst was founded in 1820 and named after the colonial secretary of
the British government, Lord Bathurst. 10 Minutes from Port Alfred and
home to the oldest pub in South Africa, the town’s major attraction is the
Big Pineapple, which stands 16.7 metre high.
There are two airports located in close proximity to Bathurst. The closest is the East London airport which is 112km from Addo. The Port Elizabeth airport is 127km away. There are regular flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and other South African destinations to the airports in Port Elizabeth and East London.
Bathurst is easily accessible by motorways from Cape Town (779km)or East London (112km). You could also drive in from Johannesburg (818km). The road conditions are fairly good if you are coming from any of these cities.
All major South African coach companies offer regular schedules to and from destinations like Addo.
Bradshaw's Mill. A working watermill and National Monument
Bathurst Agricultural Museum, ☎ +27 (0)72 408-4858.
Big Pineapple, ☎ +27 (0)46 625-0515.
- Bathurst Agricultural Museum, At the Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow Nursery, ☎ +27 (0)72 408-4858 (email@example.com), . M-Sa 9AM-4PM,Su 3PM-4PM.
- Bathurst Agricultural Show, ☎ +27(0)46 624-5421 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Described by the Land Bank as "the best and only agricultural show in the Eastern Cape", the Omnia Bathurst Show is home to about 200 standholders and offers all things farming in a festival of competitions, exhibitions and demo's. Entertainment for the whole family.
- Bird Watching with Anne Williams, ☎ +27 (0)83 719-4950.
- Farmer's Market. Every Sunday 9:30AM to 12:30PM.
- The Ruanthai, cnr Trappes Road & Timms Lane, ☎ +27 (0)46 625-0224 (). Closed on Mondays. Good Thai food, but the restaurant is unlicensed, so bring your own drinks if you want alcohol. Cash only, no credit card facilities.
- The The Historic Pig and Whistle Inn, 268 Kowie Rd, ☎ +27 (0)46 625-0673 (email@example.com, fax: +27 (0)86 648-3889), . Tuesday to Saturday: 08:00-15:00 & 18:00-21:00, Sunday and Monday: 08:00-15:00. The restaurant at the Historic Pig and Whistle Inn offers traditional English pub food, some vegitarian dishes and some Medditerannean favourites. the restaurant also serves Sunday roasts, which are reasonably priced and very popular. For more information visit the Restaurant's webpage.
- The Historic Pig and Whistle Pub, 268 Kowie Rd, ☎ +27 (0)46 625-0673 (, fax: +27 (0)86 648-3889), . The oldest licensed establishment in South Africa. The pub's webpage
- Palamino, 358 Elizabeth road, ☎ +27 (0)72 297-3060 (). From R250 for a double and R200 for a single.
- Protea Hotel, Summerhill Estate, R67, ☎ +27 (0)46 622-2366 (fax: +27 (0)46 622-2424), .
- Langholm B&B, ☎ +27 (0)83 325-4835 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Bright self-catering family cottage on a pineapple farm close to Bathurst and Grahamstown. B&B option. 2 rooms - 1 double and 1 twin, quality bedding and towels supplied. Shower only. Colour TV. Peaceful farm surroundings. Walk through pineapple fields or bushveld.