Barreirinhas is a city in Maranhão.
Mainly serving as a base for visitors to Lençóis Maranhenses, its riverside setting and sandy patches gives it a charm of its own.
- Taxis to São Luís leave as soon as they are full, 3-4 hours, R$ 140 (4 people). Many in the morning, few locals will ride along after dark. Note that a taxi can take considerably longer than a bus depending on where your fellow passengers want to be dropped off.
- Four buses a day from São Luís from the Rodoviaria, 06:00 AM - 08:45 AM - 02:00 PM - 07:30 PM, 4 hours 1/2, 29 R$, Cisne Branco company.
- Vans do the same route as the buses to São Luís
- Several daily pick-up trucks to Paulino Neves, with onward connections to Tutóia and Parnaíba, R$ 13, 2,5 hours.
- Daily boat to Atins via Mandacaru (also stops in Caburé upon request) around 9 AM. 4 hours, 5 R$. Returns well after dark, depending on tide.
- Arrange transport to the dunes, and then walk some 27 km across to Atins. This can be done in a day, or with camping half way.
- Agencies can arrange for a combination of water and overland transport, typically to Parnaíba or Jericoacoara.
- Litorânea has a weekly turboprop to São Luís and another to Fortaleza via Parnaíba and Camocim. Air taxis can be arranged through agencies.
- From Jericoacoara by 4x4 Hilux
Now there is a better road between Paulino Neves and Barreirinhas, 4x4 transport from Jericoacoara can take you all the way to Barreirinhas in about 7 hours. Prices are less than R$1000 for a car up to 4 and R$1200 for a car up to 6 passengers. Just check with Global Connection (globalconnection.tur.br) on Rua do Forró in Jericoacoara. If you want they will try to combine you with other travellers to share a car to save expenses.
Mostly walkable. Otherwise a mototaxi will take you anywhere for R$ 3.
- CostaLeste Ecoaventura, Avenida 31 de Março, s/n. Ladeira, Barreirinhas, ☎ +55 98 3349-0658. Half a day kayak tour along the Rio Preguiças. Also has several options for 2-4 day treks through the dune park, to places like Santo Amaro, Atins R$50. edit
- Terraços do Preguiça, Beira Rio. Varied menu, mostly seafood. Dishes for two at around R$ 40. edit
- Ressaca, At main square. Good selection of burgers, and some fingerbits. edit
There is something most every day, but locations shift. Ask around.
- Chill on one of the stalls along the riverfront boardwalk.
Beds in the center are fairly expensive, with some exceptions:
- Pousada Gomes, (Around the corner from the Mototaxis). Very basic, shared bathrooms. Single R$ 10. edit
- Paraiso do Caju, Rua da Primavera (Riacho (Sitio da Fatima Correa)), ☎ (98)9162 4036 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Cosy Pousada with very helpful and warm hearted team, leaded by the owner Patricio (speaks English). You can also book tours to Lencois here for a reasonable price. Single (Dorm) R$ 35,Double R$ 80, Tent R$ 25, Hammock R$ 20 - all including breakfast. edit
- Pousada do Porto, (Riverfront some 300 metres upriver from the boardwalk.), ☎ +55 98 3349 1910. Double with fan R$ 40. Also air con.. edit
- Pousada Belo Horisonte, Avenida Joaquim Soeiro de Carvalho (Next to bus station). Overpriced. Single R$ 50. edit
- Posada Lins, Avenida Joaquim Soeiro de Carvalho (By the mototaxi stand). Bright and clean, spacious bathrroms, courtyard with small pool and hammocks. Single R$ 60. edit
- Pousada Lagoa Bonito is at the top of the sanddune where there is a great view of the marina ..... double with fan and good breakfast for R$40.
- Pousada Jatobá, Rua dos Crentes (small site street opposite the sand dune), ☎ (98)3349 1838 (email@example.com). checkout: noon. small, super clean and very friendly pousada. Good breakfast, 2 minutes walk from waterfront/center in calm neighbourhood. Best option.(April 2016) with/without breakfast R$ 70/60. edit
Slow internet at R$ 2-3 an hour.
- Many agencies offer trips to the dunes, mostly leaving at 9 AM or 2 PM, returning 5 hours later, R$ 50 per person. A bumpy ride of an hour or so takes you to either Lagoa Bonita (reportedly better views) or Lagoa Azul, where a guide will walk you around. In theory it is possible to do both sites in one day, but this requires a special arrangement with some agency, as the trip proves too exhausting for most mortals. The afternoon might be preferred due to weaker sun, more shadows playing and a chance to see the sunset.
- Another daytrip on offer is with a boat down the river Preguiça, to Atins, Mandacaru and/or Caburé. Unless you are in a hurry, it is recommended to stay overnight, or use one of these places as a stopover en route to Paulino Neves or Parnaíba.
- Four buses a day to São Luís, 06:00 AM - 09:00 AM - 02:00 PM - 06:30 PM, 4 hours 1/2, 28 R$, Cisne Branco company.