Balkanabat is a city in Balkan Province, Turkmenistan.
Balkanabat may serve as a stopover on the trip from Ashgabat to Turkmenbashi and as starting point for excursions to Dekhistan and the Yangykala Canyon.
Turkmenistan Airlines offers flights from Ashgabat to Balkanabat on Tue, Thu and Sat (US$ 11). Balkanabat airport is 2 km east of the city.
Turkmenistan Railways operate two trains per day from Turkmenbashi and two trains from Ashgabat. The railway station is 1 km west of the central Niyaziv Square.
The trip from Ashgabat takes about 6 hours. Marshrutkas and shared taxis cost about US$ 2 or 3, taxis approx. US$ 15. They arrive in front od the train station.
- Gozli Ata. mausoleum of a highly respected Sufi teacher, today a very popular place of pilgrimage, 135 km north of Balkanabat edit
- Yangykala Canyon. one of the most spectacular natural attractions in Central Asia, 165 km north of Balkhanabat, 160 km east of Turkmenbashi edit
- Dekhistan. In medieval times rivalling Merv and Konye Urgench. Today only ruins of two minarets and of the oldest mosque in the country remain. Expect to pay US$ 50 for the round trip per taxi including waiting time edit
- Tarshavat, (38 km from Balkanabat). The picturesque ruins of the Tarshavat caravanserai stand on one of the ancient caravan routes on the Silk Road. The caravanserai is a rectangular building with a stone wall and ruins of residential buildings inside. edit
- Shir Kabir Mausoleum, (6 km from Dekhistan). Dating from the 9th and 10th cent. Shir Kabir is one of the oldest surviving mosques on the territory of Turkmenistan. It has a unique mikhrab consisting of three niches one inside the other. edit
- Regional History Museum, Gurgteli Annayew köcesi, ☎ 49126. US$ 1.25. edit
- Russian Orthodox Church. edit
- Balkanabat Carpet Factory, Azady köcesi. Mon to Frin 9am to 6pm. edit
- Kafe Ruslan, Kvartal 201 (west of the city center), ☎ 40740. edit
- Hotel Nebitchi, Kvartal 198, ☎ 45335 to 39. five star hotel, all rooms with satellite TV, excellent restaurants dbl US$ 100. edit
- Hotel Balkan, Kvartak 225, ☎ 43293. US$ 30 to 60. edit
Turkmenistan Airlines offers flight from Balkanabat to Ashgabat on Tue, Thu and Sat (US$ 11). Balkanabat airport is 2 km east of the city.
Turkmenistan Railways operate two trains per day to Turkmenbashi and two trains to Ashgabat. The railway station is 1 km west of the central Niyaziv Square.
The trip to Ashgabat takes about 6 hours. Marshrutkas and shared taxis cost about US$ 2 or 3, taxis approx. US$ 15. They leave in front od the train station.