Baiona (or Bayona in Spanish) is a town 20km south of Vigo in Galicia, Spain.
Baiona is a small town in the south part of Vigo Ría. It is a very tourist place, during the summer season its population is multiplied by 3.
Baiona has had many names in its history: Stuciana, Abóriga, Balcagia, and Erizana.
Baiona was the first place in Europe to hear the news about the discovery of America. On March, 1st in 1493 Caravel La Pinta arrived in Baiona commanded by Martín Alonso Pinzón. This caravel was part of first Columbus' voyage to America.
The closest airport is Vigo airport (30km). Other options are Santiago de Compostela (129km) or Porto in Portugal (160km).
The closest train station is in Vigo. Then you will need a bus to get Baiona.
There are buses every 30 minutes from Vigo on weekdays. On Saturdays and Sundays there are buses every hour. The company providing this service is called ATSA and the buses are blue.
AP-57 motorway ends in Baiona. It is connected to AP-9 from A Coruña and A-52 from Ourense.
You can go for a walk along the seafront promenade (paseo marítimo) that will take you less than 1 hour from Paseo Pinzón (on west) to Ladeira beach (on east).
There is a taxi stand at the port (5 minutes walking from town hall).
- Caravel ''La Pinta'', Elduayen street. There is a replica of Caravel La Pinta with the same size than the real one, it has a small museum inside. 2€. edit
- Ex-collegiate church (Ex-colexiata Santa María de Baiona), Santa Liberata square. The biggest church of Baiona built on 13th century. edit
- Monterreal Castle (Conde de Gondomar - Earl Gondomar - Castle), Jesús Valverde avenue. It is located on a peninsula called Monte Boi. Nowadays it is an expensive hotel of the chain Paradores de España. Tickets to go for a walk through walls are 1€ per person. edit
- Monte Boi peninsula. A nice walk around castle walls. It is free. edit
- Virgin of the Rock (Virxe da Rocha), Virxe da Rocha road. A monument 15 metres tall done by Antonio Palacios. A nice viewpoint to see the town and bay. edit
There are six beaches in Baiona:
- A Barbeira. Inside Monterreal Castle premises but with free access. edit
- A Concheira. At the beginning of Monte Boi walk. This is a beach with shells fragments instead of sand. edit
- A Ladeira. At the town entrance coming from Vigo, is the biggest one. edit
- Os Frades. In the middle of Monte Boi walk, it is the smallest one. Like A Concheira is a shell beach. edit
- A Riberia. In the entrance of Monterreal Castle. edit
- Santa Marta. At the beginning of another small peninsula with a small chapel on the top. edit
- Arrival party (Festa da Arribada). Every year the caravel La Pinta arrival is commemorated with a medieval party. A lot of people come to the town and pass the whole day drinking and eating in the streets. It is celebrated in a weekend close to 1st of March. edit
- Beaches. In the summer season enjoy any of the beaches. edit
- Walk. Go for a walk around Monte Boi peninsula. edit
- Clothes, Elduayen street. There are a lot of shops opened on Sundays and bank days thinking in the tourists. They are usually quite expensive. edit
- O Refuxio D'Antón, Ventura Misa street. Tapas. 5-10€. edit
- O Mosquito, Elduayen street, ☎ 986355036. Rice with lobster. 15-20€. edit
- Rocamar, Baredo, ☎ 986357323, . Seafood. 2 km away from town centre. 30-50€. edit
- O'Rizon, 46 Calle Areas, Baiona, Galicia, Spain. Very good! edit
- Cafes. There are a lot of cafes, specially in Elduayen street where you could enjoy the terrace. edit
- Night. Town centre is plenty of pubs that are opened till 3am and two big discotheques that close later: Villa Rosa (located in an old building for the early 20th century) and Basic. edit
- O Escondidiño, Río da Veiga street, ☎ 986358205. Cheap hotel at 5 minutes of town centre. 35€. edit
- Parador de Baiona, Jesús Valverde avenue, ☎ 986355000, . The best hotel of the town in Monterreal Castle 100-200€. edit
- Camping Bayona Playa, Ladeira beach, ☎ 986350035, . Wood bungalows at Ladeira beach. 30-50€. edit
- San Lourenzo Rural House (Casa Rural San Lourenzo), Camiño da Bouza Levada, 26. A Granxa, Belesar, ☎ 986354599, . It is located at Serra da Groba. 50-70€. edit
- Internet. There is no free wifi in Baiona, but there are several bars and cafes which provides free Internet to their clients. edit
- Cíes Islands (Illas Cíes). During the summer seasons there are boats to Cíes Islands, a natural paradise with nice beaches. ~15€. edit
- Santa Tecla (A Guarda). 20 km at south of Baiona you can get A Guarda through a beautiful cost road. There you can go to the mountain called Santa Tecla where you can find a celtic fort (castro). From the top of the mountain you can also see the Miño river estuary which separates Spain and Portugal. edit