Avila Beach is a town in San Luis Obispo County in the Central Coast region of California. It south facing beach protected by local hills gives the beach a warmer and generally less foggy climate than nearby areas like Pismo or Morro. Port San Luis is a working fishing port two miles west of downtown Avila Beach.
Avila Beach is about ten miles south of San Luis Obispo off Highway 101 and three miles from the highway to the beach. A car is necessary due to the isolation. There is a beach trolley that runs limited hours. There is street parking, a large parking lot at the back of town and parking along Avila Beach Dr.
The main downtown area is very compact.
A free beach trolley runs between Port San Luis, Avila Beach, Shell Beach and Pismo Beach on Saturdays and Sundays during spring summer and fall, and additionally on Thursdays and Fridays during the summer (May 25 to Sep 2). 
- The beautiful beach
- Central Coast Aquarium, 50 San Juan St., ☎ +1-805-595-728-, . Small aquarium that showcases local sea life. Open weekends 10-4. edit
- Pecho Coast Trail, ☎ +1 805 541-8735, . hours ="Wednesdays and Saturdays: 9AM, check-in at 8:45" Free but you must pay $5 for a Lighthouse tour. A fairly strenuous 3.5 mile round trip docent-led hike from Port San Luis Harbor to Point San Luis allowing a closeup look and tour of the San Luis Point Lighthouse. Ages 9 and up, 12 and up to tour lighthour. Call for reservations. edit
- For those who aren't as active, there is trolley transportation to the lighthouse. $20 for adults and $15 for kids. Tours depart Wednesday as noon, Saturday at noon, 1 and 2. www.sanluislighthouse.org
- Swimming in the gorgeous but frigid Pacific Ocean and basking in the sun.
- Walk to the end of the pier.
- Golf and tennis are readily available at the Inn at Avila Beach.
- Walk Bob Jones Trail and stop at the Woodstone Market for coffee.
- Visit Avila Valley Barn for local produce on your way in.
- Souvenir shops are along the beach.
- Avila Grocery, 354 Front St, ☎ +1-805-595-2500, . Restaurant on main floor with seafood, sandwiches and American. Breakfast and a nightly dinner special are offered. There is a grocery store with beach items in the basement. edit
- The Custom House Restaurant, 404 Front St, ☎ +1-805-595-7555, . A restaurant across from the beach that has steak, seafood and American fare. An outdoor dining patio looking at the ocean is available. They operate a quick service cafe around the corner named Mission Pizza. edit
- Joe Momma's Coffee, 310 Front St, ☎ +1-805-627-1500, . edit
- Mr. Ricks, 404 Front St., ☎ +1-805-595-7425, . edit The only bar in Avila. Pool table, jukebox, appetizers and live music.
- There are several wineries in the downtown area.
- Avila La Fonda Inn, 101 San Miguel St, ☎ +1-805-595-1700 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1-805-627-1862), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: Noon. An upscale inn featuring spa suites, fireplaces in every room, complimentary gift baskets for all guests, and a daily wine reception. The building suffers from its location - there are no ocean views and the rear rooms offer an overlook of a large parking lot - but the staff makes every effort to cater to guests' needs and cover all of the little things that other hotels might miss. $200-$300 per night. edit
- Inn at Avila Beach, 256 Front St, ☎ +1-805-595-2300, . edit
- Avila Lighthouse Suites, 550 Front St., ☎ +1-805-627-1900 (info@AvilaLighthouseSuites.com, fax: +1-805-627-1909), . checkin: 4PM; checkout: Noon. Hotel has heated pool and whirlpool, a spa, continental breakfast, ocean views from all rooms and a family fun center with mini-golf, ping-pong, fitness center and life-sized chess board. edit
- Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort, 1215 Avila Beach Dr, ☎ +1-805-595-7302 (email@example.com), . edit Hotel next to a mountain with a great hiking trail. There are sulfur mineral springs on site. Most if not all rooms are suites, each with their own private hot tub on the rear balcony/patio.
WikiPedia:Avila Beach, California