Atins is a small village in Maranhão. It shares 2000 inhabitants with its close neighbour Santo Inácio, but these are mostly well hidden. For the slightly adventurous traveller, Atins is a better base camp for Lençois Maranhenses than Barreirinhas, due to the former´s proximity to the dunes. There is also the beach within a few hundred metres.
- 4x4 trucks on an extremely bad sand road mostly every day from Barreirinhas, Leaving around 9 to 10 am sometimes a truck around 2pm, 1-2 hours, R$10.
- Daily boat(only leaves when there are enough passengers) from Barreirinhas via Mandacaru in the morning, 3-4 hours, R$10. return in the late afternoon.
- You can also walk to Barreirinhas across the dunes, some 27 km, but you'd better arrange for someone to pick you up at the other end.
- Walk to Mandacaru in about 1,5 hours. Start early to avoid the sun, and expect to get wet to your chest on high tide.
- hire a fast boat for R$150-180, 45 minutes from Barreirinhas
Walk the sandy roads.
hire a guide into the park
Rancho do Buna
Eat at locals house,
Buy a fish and make a fire
Believe it or not, there is a bar of sorts here:
- Del Mar. Also has some rooms for rent. edit
- Rita, (In front of the school). Friendly and clean Single R$ 30. edit
- Pedro e Bruno. Also camping for R$10 per person. R$35 per person including breakfast and an additional meal. R$30 if you're a vegetarian.. edit
- Rancho, (A few hundred metres outside the village). Tries to live up to its name Single R$ 90 couple 130. edit
- Pousada Zion Hill, In Town, ☎ +55-98-91386323, . cool pousada with 4 rooms edit
- pousada irmao. cool pousada with 6 rooms 60 for 2 people. edit
- Pousada Flamboyant (Suites and Chalés), Rua Principal (Atins), . The Pousada Flamboyant is located in Atins, 28 km from at Park Maranhenses Barreirinhas. The rooms are equipped with a fan and have balconies with hammocks. The Flambloyant has communal kitchen, plus shuttle by boat or car. (check prices) Breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant, which serves various dishes with products grown on the property. The Flamboyant Inn is located 200 meters from the beach and out to the Rio Preguiças “The Lazy River”. Maranhenses dunes are a 40-minute walk from the site. CHALET STANDARD Max. 3 people Each cabin has a double bed with possibility of extra bed (max 3 persons), bathroom, fan and mosquito net. The mattresses are very comfortable. Amenities Shower, fan, private entrance Inc. Breakfast Bed: 3 single (s) There are only 4 rooms! Pay at the hotel! Price 180 Brazilian Real (per day) QUADRUPLE SUPERIOR Max. 4 people Spacious and airy suites in the main and two cottages behind the garden, furnished with good taste at home. Each suite has access to the kitchen. Amenities Shower / kitchen / balcony / iron / fan / private entrance / seating areas. Breakfast Bed: 2 single and 1 double There are only 4 rooms! Pay at the hotel! Price: 250 Brazilian Real (per day) edit
There is actually internet available at Irmaos restaurant. At R$4 per hour, it's as expensive as it is slow.
Walk to Canto de Atins along the beach on low tide, otherwise follow the truck tracks.