Atacames is a city in the Pacific cost of Ecuador in the south east from Esmeraldas city, famous for they found, beach and discos. It is a typical Afro-Ecuadorian village with hot Caribbean rhythms fish specialties, its cheerful inhabitants, a large clean beach of 5 km, possibilities for land and water trips, and surfing.
There are direct buses from Transportes Esmeraldas, Panamericana and Occidental leaving to Quito and Guayaquil every day, around 7 - 8 hours. Transesmeraldas also has buses to Cuenca, Machala, Huaquillas, Portoviejo y Manta. AeroTaxi even has buses to Ibarra and Otavalo.
There are also flights from Quito and Guayaquil to Esmeraldas 30 - 40 min. There are even direct flights from Cali, Colombia. From the small airport you take a cab and arrives in 30 minutes to Atacames.
Good roads allow easy access by car, about 4-5 hours from Quito by car. Some prefer the way via Los Bancos, others via Santo Domingo de los Tsachilas.
To the south there is Sua, a little fisher village and an other 5 minutes away Same, a hotel resort village. Be aware that this small villages are totaly empty beside highseason in July and August. No joke, Same at June is like a ghost city in a bad Hollywood movie. For day trips very recommended.
- Museo y Acuario Marino, east on the beach. 1$ Small museum with a few aquariums. Nice, but seen in 10 minutes. edit
- Fishing with locals, Rest. Le Allemann (Est on the beachsite). or at the Hostal Chill Inn 25$ (May 11) 3 hour trip with a loacal fisherboat. Ask for more information at the Restaurant. edit
There are a lot of restaurants, but no varierity at all. So enjoy your ceviche or your pizza.
- Mama Mia Pizzeria. 12$ for a Pizza. One of the few Pizzerias on the main beach road with good pizzas and pastas.. edit
There are a lot of kiosks and bars on the beach, and a lot of discos in front of it
Be careful when choosing a hotel- thefts are common. Travellers have reported money stolen out of their room, and police say they hear this type of stories often.
- Hotel La Aldea, ☎ 59362731678, . Hotel La Aldea (2010) is located just steps away from the beach. One of the most popular hotels in Atacames it offers remarkable service together with a high standard in each and every of the 77 rooms. For reservations or more information feel free to contact: email@example.com edit
- Arco Iris (Build 2007), Arco Iris Resort, Los Delfines y Malecón de la Playa Atacames Ecuador, ☎ 092-941-017 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 40$ (May 11) ground floor, kitchen, aircondition, without balcon, 50$ higher floor, balcon, aircondition, sea view, 60$ (May 11) higher floor, kitchen, balcon, aircondition, sea view. Breakfast is not included. edit
- Costa Paraiso Hotel, (Malecón de la playa entre coral negro y delfines), ☎ 062-760-848/06-2760-178 (email@example.com), . 60$ (May 11) double room, sea view, aircondition. Breakfast included. Big swimingpool, nice for families.. edit
- Hostal Juan Sebastian, Esmeralda Malecon de Atacamas, ☎ (593-6) 2731-606 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 70$ (May 11) double room, aircondition, without seaview. edit
- Hotel Thaiti, Malecon La Playa (frente al Museo Acuatico), ☎ 2731-078/2760-085. 60$ (May 11) double room, venti, sea view. 28$ (May 11) Bungalow. Breakfast not included. edit
- La Marimba, (On the west end of the beach. ca. 5 min walk to the city.), ☎ 062731321. 60$ double room, balcon, sea view. One of the best hotel in town. A little bit outside, therefore wery quite. With two big swimmingpools, big garden and own beach. Good for families too.. edit
- Hostal Chill Inn (opened 2010), Sector Playa, Calle Ostiones, Salida del Paco Foco, frente al Hotel Bachita, ☎ 062 760 477 (email@example.com). Swiss woman's house with just 4 rooms and little privacy and many rules, starting 9 USD per person in a 2 bedroom occupied by 2 persons - 1 person only $12/night, up to 18 USD per person in low season edit WIFI in the whole house. Common room with TV, movies, table games, book exchange, guitar, shared kitchen, hammocks and beach chears, etc. Swiss management, lady owner speaks several languages. Homepage Chill Inn Atacames
- El Marques, Malecón de la playa y Los Crotos, ☎ + 593 6 273 1172 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 80$ (May 11) double room, no balcon, no sea view. 140$ suite with balcon and sea view. This is the most luxorious hotel in the center of Atacames.. edit