Assen  is the capital of the province of Drenthe in the Netherlands.
Assen is most useful as a transport hub. Many buses to small villages commence their run in Assen.
Take a train from Schiphol Airport or Amsterdam, or from Groningen.
Many buses traverse the countryside. Assen is a hub in this network. Assen is connected to Stadskanaal by bus.
Groningen Eelde airport is just 18 km away. From there you can take a bus or taxi.
It's an excellent place to cycle around and in. The LF9 and LF14 national cycle routes pass near to Assen.
The city center of Assen is small enough to go on foot.
Assen is the capital of the cycling province of Drenthe. It is a wonderful place to cycle. Hire a bicycle and travel around. Various companies provide tours of the area, some English speaking.
- Fietspoint Grootjans (located at the train station) Stationsplein 1. Tel: +31 592 310424 
- Drents Museum Brink 1. Tel: +31 592 377773. It is open Tuesday to Sunday, 11am to 5pm. During public holidays also on Mondays. Internet: http://www.drentsmuseum.nl/. The museum has an interesting collection of local as well general art, nicely exhibited.
- TT Assen. Every year motorcycle enthusiasts from all over the world come to here to race and party. This turns Assen into a vibrant city for a couple of days.
- Markt 4-6, Markt 4-6. Nice restaurant at the Markt square. Go there for seafood or steaks €15 for main course. edit
- Abbarossa Groningerstraat 57, tel: +31 592 317164. Italian restaurant. Main €20. Open 5pm-10.30pm. Closed mondays.
Stroopwaffel stand at saturday market
On both Wednesday and Saturday there is a market. In 2008 this market won the award of "gezelligste markt" in the Netherlands. i.e. the most friendly and pleasant in the country.
- Herberg De Koppelpaarden, Markt 22, ☎ +31 592 318633, . checkin: 4pm; checkout: 1pm. A two story apartment with separate bedroom, kitchen, diningroom and livingroom. Nicely decorated in the style of the 1900s. €289. edit
- Hotel De Jonge (Best Western Hotel De Jonge), Brinkstraat 85, ☎ +31 592 312023, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 12am. €110. edit
- Hotel Assen (Van der Valk Assen), Balkenweg 1, ☎ +31 592 851515, . checkin: 4pm; checkout: 11am. €75. edit