Ashtabula County  is in Northeast Ohio in the most northeastern part of Ohio bordering Pennsylvania on the east and Lake Erie on the north. At 705 square miles, Ashtabula is the largest county in the state of Ohio. As of 2000, the population was 102,728.
- Andover- Home of Pymatuning Lake which is a recreational hotspot in the southeastern portion of the county. The Pymatuning Lake and region extends over the border into Pennsylvania. One of the last remaining Drive-In movie theaters is located here. The theater also is home to a flea market. The town is the shopping district for residents and tourists to the Pymatuming region.
- Ashtabula- Commercial, historical, and recreational center along Lake Erie. Home to many shopping venues and a mall. Along Lake Erie one can swim, fish, and boat.
- Conneaut- Lake Erie tourist area. Outdoor recreation includes camping, fishing, boating, and golfing. The historical Seneca Indian woodlands, and the wineries attract many visitors.
- Geneva- Along Lake Erie. The town is a tourist summer getaway known for its shopping, outdoor recreation, and wineries. It is also home to the annual summer Great Lakes Medieval Faire.
- Geneva-on-the-Lake- Resort town along Lake Erie. Home to many resort attractions which includes shopping, outdoor recreation, minigolf, go-carts, an amusement park, and waterslides.
- Jefferson- County seat. Historical town featuring railroad history in its active depot. From this depot visitors can ride the AC&J "High Grade" passenger train during the summer and fall. The world's only Victorian Perambulator Museum is found here. Also Astabula fairgrounds is located here where the county fair is held every August and the Covered Bridge Festival every October.
- North Kingsville- Old fashioned town featuring many of the county's covered bridges. Of interest is a pizza parlor housed in one of the covered bridges. Recreation includes golfing and bowling. A commercial area is located along I-90 and Route 193.
- Orwell- Part of the Grand Valley region.
- Geneva State Park, northern Ashtabula County, on Lake Erie, 4499 Padanarum Road, Geneva. A full facility campground with electricity, showers and flush toilets. Deluxe Cedar Cabins on the Lake Erie lakefront, six-lane boat ramp, canteen, concession area, 383 docks, three miles of multi-use trails, 300-foot guarded swimming beach and Geneva Lake Resort Lodge and Conference Center.
- Pymatuning State Park, on the north part of the border of Ohio and Pennsylvania. 6260 Pymatuning Lake Rd., Andover. Twenty-six family cottages, thirty-two standard cottages, beach, 331 camping sites have electric hookups, 21 sites are non-electric, nature center, basketball, volleyball courts, playgrounds, 14,000 acre lake, five boat-launch ramps, fishing, hunting, two miles of well marked trails, ice skating, ice boating, ice fishing and cross-country skiing.
- Grand Valley- Scenic region in Ashtabula County made up of rural green areas and woodlands. It also includes the communities of Colebrook, Hartsgrove, Orwell, Roaming Shores, Rome and Windsor. In this region you can find the world's largest statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe at the Servants of Mary Center for Peace in Windsor, and recreational activies such as hunting, fishing and camping year round.
- Pymatuning- Indian term translated as "the crooked-mouthed man's dwelling place." Lake and state park in the southeast portion of Ashtabula county which extends into Pennsylvania. Outdoor recreation in the area includes camping, boating, hiking, and swimming. The Grand River is found north of the lake off St. Rt. 322 and St. Rt. 6.
Ashtabula county is a recreational area and its main tourist season is during the summer months of June, July, and August. It is also a nice getaway resort area away from the congested Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh metro areas about 50-150 miles west, east, and southeast of Ashtabula county. Ashtabula is located along Lake Erie and is prone to the local weather patterns from the lake. Lake Erie bring a pleasant cool breeze in the summer but cold snowy conditions in the winter. Ashtabula county falls within the snowbelt region and gets a good amount of lake effect snow activity during that season. Snow can be fairly deep and travel conditions during that season can be fairly hazardous. If traveling to this region during winter keep that in mind. The snowfall can be rather beautiful and opens up the recreational potential to cross country skiing, sled riding, and ice skating. Also Ashtabula county celebrates Christmas in style in many of the towns with Christmas themed shops and Christmas tree farms.
People in Northeast Ohio will usually relate distance by how long it will take to drive somewhere. Cleveland won't be 53 miles west, it will be about an hour west.
Temperature in the winter is measured by windchill usually blowing from Lake Erie. The air temperature may be 30 degrees F, but with windchill 18 degrees F.
- State Route 11 - Coming from Youngstown, Pittsburgh, and areas in between, this highway brings you into the heart of Ashtabula county.
- Interstate 90 - Coming from Cleveland from the west or Buffalo from the east and points in between, take Interstate 90 which runs parallel with Lake Erie and the lake resort towns.
Drive in or, if flying into a metro area, rent a vehicle. It's the only way to get around Ashtabula county and will free you up to visit all there is to see.
- Covered Bridges - There are 53 covered bridges in Ashtabula county. A few of the bridges include pizza parlors within their structure.
- Ashtabula County Covered Bridge Festival, Ashtabula County Fairgrounds in Jefferson, tel: +1 440-576-3769, (email: mailto:email@example.com), . Held 2nd full weekend in October, 8AM-5PM. The festival offers crafts, entertainment, historic vehicles, draft horses, a farmers market and a quilt show.
- Lighthouses- Along the Lake Erie coast in Conneaut, Ashtabula, and Geneva. Ashtabula's lighthouse is the most visually appealing, denoting the entrance to Ashtabula Harbor
- Museums- Historical, Underground Railroad, Presidential.
- Wineries- Take a wine taxi to visit the different wineries in the area. Ohio Wine Tours  440.228.8941 (cell) or 440.576.4588 (office).
- Beaches- Part of the Ohio Northcoast along Lake Erie.
- Lakeside Theatre Program
- Railroad- Historic rail region; AC&J Scenic Line , 440.576.6346. One hour, 12 mile round trip from the Jefferson Depot through scenic woodlands and back farm country to Carson & return. Operates June through October, Saturday & Sunday in June, July, August & October - Sunday ONLY in September. Departures ALL days of operation 1:00 & 3:00PM. NO Monday holiday operations.
- Outdoor Recreation- Fishing, Swimming, Sports, Hunting, Boating, Golfing.
- Bicycle Riding, Western Reserve Greenway, Austinburg Trail Head, 2773 Ohio State Route 307, 440-576-0717, . A 43-mile, mostly shaded and rural paved bike trail that runs north-south from Ashtabula to Warren, Ohio. There are 6 trailheads and parking lots along the trail, which features bridges and signs describing historical events.
- Shopping- Clothing, Farm products, Antiques and collectibles.
- Fish and Seafood - Fresh catches from Lake Erie and various rivers. Steelhead, perch, walleye.
- Steak / Bison - Fresh meat from local farms.
- Pizza - Pizza parlors (local and franchised) are all over the county; make sure to try the pizza parlors housed in some of the covered bridges.
- Ice Cream - Get homemade ice cream from some of the local dairies.
- Homemade Treats - Pies, pastries, jams, noodles, corn fridders.
- Drive-In's - Get burgers, fries, ice cream, mikshakes, sodas, etc, at the curb without leaving your car. Seasonal.
- Cafes - Nice social locales especially in the cold winter months.
- South River Vineyard (SRV), 6062 South River rd. (I90 to Geneva - go south.), ☎ 466-6676, . Winery in an old church. Beautiful. edit
- Wine, Wine, and More Wine - Wineries all over the county. Get a fresh bottle or glass from the wineries or various restaurants.
- Bars and Saloons - In various locations throughout the county, serving brews from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo.
Mileage to Major Cities
All information is estimated.
WikiPedia:Ashtabula County, Ohio