Ascoli Piceno is a city in the southern end of Marche about 25 km from the Adriatic coast. Population: 50,000.
 Get in
 By train
There is a line from San Benedetto del Tronto on the mainline along the Adriatic coast of Italy. The station is few hundred meters outside the centre.
 By bus from Rome
A bus from Rome begins this route from the street "Castro Pretorio", near Termini (the main train station of Rome) and arrive in front of the train station, in Ascoli Piceno http://www.startspa.it/navroma.htm An easy alternate is the ROma MArche Linee, a direct bus line that leaves from Stazione Tiburtina and can drop you at any of the nearby coastal cities- San Benedetto del Tronto, Pedaso, Porto San Giorgo, Porto d'Ascoli, Cupra Marittima, and more. Scenic and enjoyable. http://www.romamarchelinee.it/
 By car
From North, in the highway A14 the exit "Ascoli Piceno - San Benedetto del Tronto" than get the free highway "Ascoli-Mare" for 28Km following the indication From Rome take the SS4 "Salaria" (Statal Street n°4) directed and passing to Rieti and after 197Km exit in "Rosara" and continue to East (on the left) for 2Km
Around the VIIIth-VIIth BC the legend says of a tribe of Etruscan people named "Sabini" following a sacred bird named "Picchio", found this natural fortification on the cross of the two rivers: "Tronto" and "Castellano" and built here his village named "Piceni". Later they were conquered by the Romans, until in the 91 BC they started the independence war against Rome, ended two years later, with the partial destruction of the town.
 Get around
Everything inside the fortified town can be reached on foot.
[add listing] See
[add listing] Do
- Walking rounds of the town explained by the tourist office in the ground floor of "Palazzo dei capitani" in the main square "Piazza del Popolo"
[add listing] Buy
- antique stuff market named "Mercatino dell'antiquariato" in the old streets of the center, stand every third weekends of the month
- Cheaper handmaded shoes in the nearby factories
- The traditional "Anisetta Meletti" a sweet anise distillate digester 130's years old http://www.meletti.it/english/ehome.html preferely in the original cafè Meletti in the main square "Piazza del Popolo": it's one of the 150's oldest cafè in Italy
[add listing] Eat
- the typicals "olive all'ascolana" maded by olives fitted with meat and spices, breaded and fried in olive oil
[add listing] Drink
- Typical cocktails and local wines in the main square, ad the nearby bars, starts just before the dinner, at 7PM
[add listing] Sleep
 Get out