Arad, the capital and base of Arad County, is situated in the western extremity of Transylvania. The city could be considered as a tourist stopover if you are coming to Romania from Hungary, or leaving the country. But not as a base as it lacks the same interest as other Transylvanian cities. Arad is one of the most prosperous cities in Romania, with a high income per capita.
Arad, a beautiful city situated in the western Romania on the banks of the river Mures, is only 30 km away from the Hungarian border. Before 1918 the city belonged to Austria-Hungary, which left a mark on its architecture and life style. Arad's city hall is a beautiful building which has to its right and left another two old palaces dating 2 centuries back. The "Cenad Palace" is one of the buildings old enough to justify the beauty of architectural times it was built in. The town has approximately 200.000 inhabitants, three quarters being Romanians and the rest is represented by Hungarians, Germans, Italians, Serbs and other minorities in smaller percentages.
The airport  is located 3 km (1.9 mi) west of the city, and had flights to Milan. The airport is (from April 2015) closed for renovation. The alternative is Timisoara Airport and there are regular express buses from Budapest Airport in Hungary(about 3 hours).
Access to Arad by car is from the Pan-European corridor no.4 [E68]. Buses can be taken from Cluj-Napoca, Brasov, Bucharest, Sibiu and Constanta City.
At the main train station there are services from Budapest, Praha, Warsaw, Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Venezia, Thesalonoky, Brasov, Cluj Napoca, Sibiu, Bucharest, Oradea, Timisoara, Constanta, Galati, Iasi, Baia Mare, Suceava, Craiova and Ploiesti.
Buses and trams run through the town with several stops. Taxis are available.
There are also "Rent a car" companies: Promotor Rent a Car Arad, one having a commercial with contact details just across the street of the Train station.
- Arad Orthodox Cathedral
- Fagarov Castle features fantastic carvings.
- Arad Cultural Complex: Philharmonics, Museums, every Thursday there is a classic music concert performed by the fine Arad classic music orchestra. The Museum exhibitions are open daily, except Monday.
- St.Anthony Catholic Cathedral
- Parcul Reconcilierii, an area dedicated to the reconciliation between the Romanians and the Hungarians, it has two statuary complexes. Excellent for relaxing.
- Parcul copiilor, situated along the shore of the Mures river, the Children's park offers an excellent way to recreate while having a nice promenade along the shore.
- Cetatea Aradului, is a huge fortress/citadel on the other side of the river. But sadly it's a military area right now, so you can't visit it. On maps and air-pictures it looks very beautiful, but from the city it is impossible to see the nice star-shaped walls.
- Night Life. There is a student bar called 'Kf". There is a range of clubs called pigal, mooskea and the newly opened molly malones. Mooskea is popular with students. edit
There are several supermarkets, hypermarkets and shopping centers like Metro, Selgros, Billa, Praktiker, Carrefour, Kaufland, Spar, Real, Profi, Penny Market, Mini Max, Bricostore, Obi, Atrium Center, Ziridava,Dedeman, etc. Selgros and Metro require membership cards. Kaufland is excellent and extensive- Str Banul Maracine.
- Shopping Malls. The two largest shopping malls are The Atrium centre & Galleria. Example stores include H&M, New yorker, Adidas store, Pull & Bear, Inter sport, Flanco, Media Galaxy, Jatomi Gym andCinema City. edit
- Gomboti, local sweet specialty - a fresh fruit entraped in a thick, round, sweet wheat layer;
- Gulas, Hungarian specialty, it is a very spicy food met in very different combinations. Its base is a type of meat and tomato sauce.
- Placinta cu dovleac/varza, traditional pie with pumpkin pulp or cabbage. It is very very tasty
- Carnati/ Maios/ Sangerete/ Toba, pork traditional specialties.
- Fraltas, a cabbage chicken and potato casserole, slow cooked until tender and soft.
- Lángos, is originally from Hungary. But you can get in Arad really good and cheap Lángos at a small market. A very nice lady (speaks german) will sell you out of her small Caravan different kinds of Lángos. Cheapest cost 2.5 LEI. Approximately 1 km away from the mainstation. Walk over the bridge across the rails, north on the "Strada Petru Rareș". Then after the pharmacies to the right on the "Aleea Romaniței". Open during the week from 7:30 to 16:00 and Saturdays form 8:00 to 13:00. (March 2017). GPS: 46.19141 21.33115
Arad also has McDonalds, KFC, Subway, Salad Box, Crispy House in addition to a rang of Italian, Arabic and Romanian restaurants.
- Tuica/Palinca, Romanian genuine fine alcoholic drink, up to 65 percent alcohol, traditionally made from plums; as alternative, pear, apple, grape tuica exists as well.
- Cadarca de Minis, local wine from Minis vineyard area, it is a dry wine with fruity aroma.
Arad is home to two British Pubs; an Irish and an English.
The Irish pub is situated in the centre along the Bulevard. The English Pub 'Old Lady's Pub', is dedicated to Liverpool Football Club and is situated in the UTA are of Arad. Every Liverpool game is shown live at the pub.
- Alexander, Calea Radnei, +40-257-279199, +40-788-431447. Board and lodging.
- Arad, B-dul Decebal Nr.9, +40-257-280894 , +40-257-214775.
- Ardealul, B-dul Revoluţiei nr. 98, +40-257-280840 , +40-257-280925
- Bibart 1 Panorama, Str. Digului nr.1A, +40-257-279398. Board and lodging.
- Lotus, Str. Nicolae Ştefu nr.8, +40-257-251282, .
- Mini Hotel Lipova **, Str. Lugojlui nr.50,+40-257-563021
- Mioriţa, Calea Radnei nr. 172/B, +40-257-368132, +40-745-326254. Board and lodging.
- Roberto, Strada Constantin Brâncoveanu 5, near Strada Cocorilor crossing Calea Aurel Vlaicu. Double-rooms for 50 LEI with shared bathroom and 75 LEI with own bathroom (March 2017). If you want to see someone typing your Passport-Data in a Windows 95 PC, and you are looking just for a cheap (not beautiful) place to sleep, then this is your hostel. Some rooms are very smoky, but it was possible to get a not so smoky room, after short discussion. Also not the best district of the city, but with the tram you have a good connection to the mainstation.
- Staţia Arad Vest , DN 7,+40-257-473276.
- West, Str.Petru Rareş nr.66, +40-257-234257, +40-744-577971.
- Central, Str. Horia nr.8, +40-257-256636
- Class , Str. Dr. I Raţiu nr. 27-29, +40-257-213153, +40-788-213153,
- Coandi, Calea Romanilor nr. 47,+40-257 287777, Email:firstname.lastname@example.org . Alongside of river Mureş
- Iris, Str. Capitan Ignat, Nr. 1, +40-257-285499 , +40-357-409682, , .
- Marem, Calea Victoriei nr. 2C, +40-257-256-011 , +40-257-256-110, .
- Parc, B-dul General Dragalina nr. 25, +40-257-280820. Alongside the river Mureş.
- President, Calea Timisorii nr. 164, +40-257.278814. , +40-257.278804, .
- Vila Paradis, Str. Molidului Nr.2-5, +40-257-287377.
- Continental, B-dul Revoluţiei 79-81, +40-257-281700.
- XO Residence, Dr. Ioan Ratiu 13, +40-257-213163, +40-743-213163.
- Arad Cathedral, Podgoria Square (from the train station with the trams 1,3, 17, etc for one station).
- Cathedral St. Anton, Str. Lucian Blaga 2 (from the central station/Gara with trams 3, 6 or 17 (direction Centru) to Teatru). Sun: 06:00, 07:00, 08:00 (german), 10:30 (hungar), 12:00 (roman.), 19:00; Mon-Fri: 06:00, 07:00, 08:00, 19:00
There is a medical school situated in Arad with an international section in english and french. The medical school has many overseas students coming primarily from Italy, Germany, UK, Sweden, Israel, and France. The university represents a diverse range of students. The university has helped regenerate the city from its intake of foreign students.
Outside of the town there are some mountains with hiking trails.