Anzère in the Valais region of Switzerland, 15 km away from Sion. Located an altitude of 1500 m in the Rhone Valley it's officially the sunniest spot in Switzerland. Until 1960 it was just a village, consisting of five small chalets. Due to its favourable location, it quickly turned into a modern but cosy holiday village. Neighbourhood rich in alpine huts, usually built of stone or wood.
Transformed into a winter sports resort in the 60s, Anzere offers stunning views of the Rhone Valley and the Valais Alps in the summer and makes it attractive for lovers of long walks in the mountains and valleys along the historic irrigation channels.
There are an airport and a railway station in Sion, 15 km from Anzere - in good driving conditions.
From Geneva or any other big city, take the train heading for Sion and get off there. From Sion, take the bus heading for "Anzère via Ayent" or "Anzère via Arbaz" and get off at "Pralan".
Basel : Highway Bern - Vevey - Sion
Zürich : Highway Bern - Vevey - Sion Lötschberg : Sierre - Sion
Geneva : Highway Lausanne - Sion
Milan : Simplon - Brig - Sierre - Sion
Grand St-Bernard : Martigny - Sion
Paris : Highway Geneva - Sion
EXIT : Sion Est no 27
From Sion : Main road Grimisuat - Ayent - Anzère
From Sion : Main road Grimisuat - Arbaz - Anzère
From Sierre : Main road Lens- Icogne - Ayent – Anzère
Alpin Tunnels Information Tab:
| By car On the A9 motorway open all year:
||Open only in summer
|| Through the railway tunnels on vehicle transporters
|Col de Forclaz, Pas de Morgins, Simplon, Grand St-Bernard - information phone: +41 (0)27 788 44 00)
||Alpine Pass of Grimsel, Alpine Pass of Furka, Alpine Pass of Nufenen, Pass of Grand St-Bernard
Lötschbergtunnel BLS (Kandersteg-Goppenstein) - info: phone +41 (0)900 55 33 33 (CHF 1.50/min),
Furkatunnel (Realp-Oberwald) - info: phone +41 (0)27 927 77 71,
Simplontunnel (Iselle-Brig) - info: phone +41 (0)900 300 300.
TGV : Paris - Lausanne
Intercity : Lausanne - Sion
TGV : Paris - Sion (winter)
Pendolino: Milan - Sion
Intercity: stop at Sion
By trainSwitzerland: Direct lines from Basle, Bern, Geneva airport, Lausanne and Zurich airport every 30 min. From abroad: Direct lines from Freiburg, Köln, Wiesbaden, Hamburg, Dortmund, Luxembourg, Brussels, Firenze, Rome, Venezia-Milan (Cisalpino), Strasbourg and Paris (TGV). Connections with the entire European network. Info: phone +41 (0)900 300 300.
Zürich Kloten + intercity to Sion
Geneva Cointrin + TGV or intercity to Sion
London - Sion (winter season)
Direct, charter, private flights from Sion Airport (Info phone +41(0)27 329 06 00) Charter and private flights, Air Glaciers (Info phone +41(0)27 329 14 15)
Shuttle bus' routemap
- Gentle slopes and babbling water made a Suonen popular hiking trail, including a three-hour tour from Anzère to the reservoir Ttseze (2beyond - through the pass Rovil to Lenka in the Bernese Oberland).
- Mountain trails lead to the glacier at an altitude of Vildhorn 3247 meters above sea level. The total length of the hiking trails in the region is 166 km.
- Easy and refreshing walks around Irrigation canals. Because of the abundance of sunny days Anzère famous for the driest climates in Switzerland, so that the local farmers had to make a network of irrigation canals, drawing their water from different rivers and streams. Across the entire commune the was built a three main canals, 70 km long. Interesting fact that the first canal was built in the middle of the XV century.
Anzere is ideal for mountain biking (five routes, 80 km).
Anzère is perfect for nature lovers, it is a south oriented village surrounded by mountains, forest, and little rivers. And near this place, in Arbaz, there is a stars observation center.
- Reservoir Tseuzier: is a beautiful lake surrounded by woods, accessible from Anzere, the suonen trail - with views of the Liène Valley or can use the narrow road from Ayent.
- Reservoir Grande Dixence : is located at an altitude of 285 meters, it is the highest storage of water in the world and is located in the Hérémence Valley.
- Lac Souterrain de St-Léonard - has the biggest underground lake in Europe (300 meters long) that is available for boating.
- The primeval forest of Derborence: conservation area with its mighty larch and pine trees.
Culture and ART
- Garden of Sculptures of Lou Schmidt, (near Grimisuat), ☎ +41 27 398 33 31, . open to visitors first Sunday of each month, from 9.30 a.m. to 12 a.m..
- Combat des Reine, most typical traditions in Valais. Take place in mid- June, at the "Inalpe" when the cows are taken to the mountain pastures. The "Desalpe" is when the cows return down to their winter quarters in mid-September.
Winter sports of course, going from skiing to snowboarding and excursions, in the summer you can do downhill vtt and paragliding, walking to the Wildhorn glaciers. There is also the "Course de cote" happening in spring, a sports car contest running down the narrow mountains roads.
Local souvenir shops, hand-made jewellery, supermakets...
The Place du Village is a central point of Anzere, here most of Anzère's cafes and restaurants, bars and nightclubs, a supermarket, as well as clothes shops.
Also don't forget to treat yourself with Valais Box.
- Valais Box (Tourist Information Office of Sierre, Salgesch & Vicinities), Place de la Gare 10 (3960 Sierre), ☎ 0041 27 455 85 35, . From 08:30 to 18:00 - Monday to Friday 9:00 to 5:00 p.m. - Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - Sunday. A box with 10 different typical local products from Valais (honey, jam, tea, fruit juice...)
Local food (cheese fondue, raclette(melted cheese), viande sechée (dried meat), accompanied by the delicious local wines - to pizza and sushi's! Also agricultural abundance: fresh fruit in the season (apricots, strawberries, apples, pears and grapes), vegetables also do well, notably asparagus and tomatoes.
- Le Panorama (Eden), ☎ +41 (0)27 399 31 05. Spécialités valaisannes et cuisine traditionnelle dans un cadre boisé avec vue sur les Alpes.
- La Creperie, Place du Village, ☎ +41 (0)27 398 22 38. Sweet and savoury pancakes. Panoramic terrace. Children's corner. Open from Friday to Monday
- Au Chalet(ex-Rondion), Place du Village, ☎ +41 (0)27 399 16 16, . Meat or fishes and shellfish fondue, tartars, menu 3 dishes. Specialties of Valais, choice of cheeses fondues, fresh home-made pasta.
There are a lot of bars, especially when considering the size of the village. You can find some classic pubs to every age nightclubs, and even a live music bar (rock, reggae, ska, world) at the entrance of the village, called the Relax Bar.
All stars hotels, only one hostel, at the entrance of the village, called L'Avenir , which is great specially for backpackers. The free ski bus stops in front of the house. Also free Wi-Fi and parking. In L'Avenir's shared living room you can also find a library. Various themed evening are organized in the bar, and throughout your stay, you can help yourself to free coffee and tea. The terrace and the garden with barbecue facilities can be enjoyed in the summer months.
- Hotel Zodiaque (hotel), Place du Village (City Centre - Only 4-minutes walk away), ☎ +41 (0) 27 399 16 16, . Panoramic views of the Valais Alps, traffic-free heart of Anzere. Sion is 15 km away. Wi-Fi is available in public areas free of charge. Near a children's playground, volleyball and badminton courts, an ice rink, ski lifts, and shops.
- Hotel Eden, Route d'Anzère, ☎ +41 (0) 27 399 31 00, . Recently refurbished, clean, well equiped (but no dishwasher) and quiet, with excellent views on some of the "4000" of the ValaIsan Alps. Hiking trails starting at the foot of the residence.
The area code prefix for Sion is: 27. Switzerland country code is: 41 .
Post office is available for service from 8.30 AM – 11PM and 15.30PM– 17.45PM Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri. From 08:30AM - 10:30PM on Saturday.
In the Village Centre, 'Place du Village', you can find an internet café.
Note however that most hotels should offer free Wi-Fi.
Just take the bus back to Sion and then catch any train to any city!
- Sitten (Sion)- is the capital of the canton with its historic urban landscape and is also the capital of shopping, culture and gastronomy. Also Sion it's Valais wine center has a large number of wine cellars.
Also discover in Sion:
The old town and its monuments,
The Basilique, the famous organ,
The archaeological sites,
The Valais History Museum.
- Siders (Sierre) is interesting for its a lovely old town and museums. It three permanent museums, based around poetry, wine and painting.