Annecy old-city : Thiou river Sunday morning market
Annecy  in the North of the French Alps, is called touristically the Venice of Savoie. The medieval town centre built around a 14th Century Chateau is dissected by small canals and streams running out of Lac Annecy, which is clean, fresh and a wonderful azure colour. Annecy is also the prefecture of the département of Haute-Savoie.
Annecy is a popular day trip from nearby Geneva, Switzerland. Buses leave from Geneva's intercity bus station about 5 times/day on Sundays, more frequently on weekdays. A round-trip ticket costs 32 CHF and the trip takes about an hour/direction.
Geneva is the nearest major international airport and is well served from across Europe and beyond. With the new motorway, it is now just over 35mins away. A little further away is Lyon, a full international airport, and Grenoble, which is focussed on low cost and winter flights . Both are about a one-hour drive by car or bus. The airport at Annecy only has flights to Paris.
Direct train from Paris or Lyon. Train station in the city center of Annecy.
From Annecy city center, regular bus around the Annecy lac. Some bus are going to Albertville via Faverge.
In the direction of the Mont-Blanc, direct train to Le Fayet, Saint-Gervais-les-Bains
- Palais d'Isle. A former palace-turned-prison. As the name says, it is situated on an island between the canals. edit
- Saint Maurice Church. edit
- Annecy Castle (Château d'Annecy), 3, Passage de l Île, 74000 Annecy, France, . Situated on a hill overlooking the city and the surroundings. entrance 5€. edit
- Swim, row or sail on the lake
- Hike on the mountains around the city
- Bike around the lake, or up in the mountains if you are in good shape.
- Hangliding above the lake from the Col de la Forclaz (~20km)
- Shop the many boutiques lining the narrow stone-paved streets. A large, modern mall can also be found in the newer part of the city.
- Films a theatre near the large mall showing multiple films for your enjoyment. Located at 7 Avenue de Brogny.
- April: A cozy village festival is held, a great place to bring the family. Rides and vendors are abundent, along with the great french cuisine. The festival lines Lac Annecy and is very peaceful and beautiful.
- June : One of the biggest animation festivals is held in Annecy (6 days)
- July : Noctibules festival during the nights (4 days)
- The first week-end of August is the Lake Festival (Fête du Lac) with attractions around the lake and a great fireworks. This event brings more than 100'000 spectators.
- October : "Descente des Alpages" or "Return from Alpine Pastures". Occurs once a year on the second Saturday of October. This is a traditional farmers' festival with local music, food and entertainment. See pictures from this festival
For between meals try the Italian ice cream shops, favored by the locals, located on the numerous pedestrian-only by-ways that weave the city and river together.
Another suggestion is the brioche (sweet roll) and other goodies to be found at the boulangeries (bakeries) in town.
- Les Vielles Prisons, 1 rue Perrière, ☎ 04 45 06 53, . The most interesting place to eat, with more than the usual things on the menu at a reasonable price. edit
- l'Heure Tourne, 21 rue Président Favre, . The best burger bar in town run by two great guys. €9-14. edit
- Annecy Hostel, 32 avenue de Loverchy, Annecy, ☎ 0033953120290, . checkin: 2:00pm; checkout: 10:00am. Small and friendly hostel. In summer you can enjoy the big garden with terrace, a pool table and a tennis table. There is a fully equipped kitchen. Just 5 minutes from the old town. 22. edit
- PV-Holidays Adagio Annecy Centre, (next to train station in business district, short walk from the Old Town and lake), ☎ +33 1 58 21 55 84, . An aparthotel offering studio style apartments for up to 4 people. A fitness room, sauna and private parking are also available. ~80 Euros. edit
- Peak Retreats (Annecy Accommodation Specialist), ☎ 0044 2392 839 310, . A range of self-catering apartments & hotels around Lake Annecy. Bookable from the UK. edit
Bed & Breakfast, youth hostel exist. Surrounding mountains and lake activities are draining a large number of tourist during the summer and more and more during the winter season. Several winter sport resorts being in 30' drive.
Annecy has a number of local artisan shops as well as many European chain boutiques.
There is a market (marché) most days at various locations. Le marché is an open air market with fresh fruits and vegetables.
Crime rarely occurs here. Theft happens every once in a while but that's it.
The town itself gets busy in July but September brings less folk.
If you want to get away from the crowds, try the far side of the lake. The best way to get around is by bike.
- Discover small towns nearby in the Alps such as Thônes, La Clusaz, Le Grand-Bornand, Menthon St. Bernard, Duingt, Faverges, Mercury
- Use the place as a base to visit other places of the Alps such as Chamonix (~80km), Geneva (45 km), Chambery (40km), Albertville (50km), Yvoire (60km), Thonon, Evian, Val d'Isère, Aosta (IT, 100 km)...