Angoulême  is the capital of the Charente department. It lies about 135km north of Bordeaux in south west France.
Budget airline Ryanair flies from London Stansted to Angoulême-Brie Champniers airport, about 15km northeast of the town. The airport is also known as Angoulême Cognac .
- The cathedral
- The view from the ramparts (which replaced the medieval city walls)
- The hôtel de ville 
- The murs peints, walls painted with cartoons
- Centre International de la Bande Dessinée (comic strip museum), 121 rue de Bordeaux (bus #3 or #5), ☎ 05 45 38 65 65 (fax: 05 45 38 65 51), . Sept–June Tues–Fri 10am–6pm, Sat & Sun 2–6pm; July & Aug open Mon and until 7pm. €5.
- Atelier-Musée du Papier (paper making museum), 134 rue de Bordeaux, ☎ 05 45 92 73 43. July & Aug Tues–Sat noon–6.30pm; Sept–June Tues–Sun 2–6pm. free.
- Glamping Tipis (Glamping Tipis in France), Le Bourg, ranville-breuillaud, Charente, 16140, France (From Angouleme N1141 towards Saint-Jean d'Angely. Then head north at Rouillac. Total journey time 30 mins.), ☎ 05 45 91 07 34, . checkin: Flexible; checkout: Flexible. Glamping Tipis is a magical place, perfect for families who want to spend a night or holiday in a Huge Tipi. They sit 8m tall and are 50m² with king-size beds and luxurious cotton bedding. €85 p/n. (45.9023135283,-0.116128921509)