Alter do Chão is a beach town in Pará, about an hour south of Santarém .
The town fills up during weekends. Also, the size of the beaches vary depending on the season. During rainy season many beaches disappear altogether.
Be especially careful of stingrays when visiting some of the more remote beaches in the area. They will only sting when stepped on, so shuffle your feet when you walk in the water.
- Buses leave Santarém for Alter do Chão about once per hour.
- Alter do Chão is small enough to walk around.
- To get to Ilha do Amor you can either swim or hire a canoe for R$5 for up to four people.
- Albergue da Floresta - Popular with backpackers. R$15 for hammock space. Free kitchen use. A bit of a walk from the main square. R$5 per day to store your luggage while you go on a tour.
- Pousada Alter do Chão - R$30 for a single with ceiling fan. R$10 per additional person. Includes a big breakfast. Good location. Free wifi.
- Comuníndios - Altar do Xá - camping or redário(hammock space in a shed) for R$ 10 in a site that looks like a jungle. Kitchen is crude but fully functional and for free. Wi-fi internet is slow but works. This happens to be a place where they prepare ahayuasca and make ceremonies, in case you're interested or want to avoid it.
- Iguana Camping - Near the shore, R$ 15 per person, Communal kitchen provided.
- Sleep on Ilha do Amor for free! Just find two trees and hang your hammock.