Alba Iulia  is a city in Western Transylvania, Romania. It is the capital of Alba county.
There are direct international trains from Vienna (11 hours travel time), Prague (17 1/2 hours) and Budapest (seven hours).
Alba Iulia is connected with Cluj by six daily trains, with Bucharest by five trains and with Timisoara by four trains. Check timetables on infofer.ro
- Alba Carolina -a massive baroque fortification built in the 18th century, one of the largest of this kind in Eastern Europe. The citadel is filled with historical sights, including medieval catholic cathedral, national unification museum and (rather unimpressive) remains of the Roman castrum.
- Aiud fortress, near Alba Iulia.
- Calnic fortress, near Alba Iulia, an UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Coltesti fortress
- Scarisoara cave
- Fortress Ponor
- Coiba mare cave
- Peak Bihorul
- Delacroix, Strada Regina Maria, nr.2, ☎ +40 748 417 511, . 08AM-11PM. Delacroix claims to be aiming to be the best restaurant in Transylvania. Opened by the young chef Mihai Toader, finalist of the famous cooking show Masterchef®, Delacroix is the place to go for French & Fusion cuisine. Excellent atmosphere, music, interior design and service and of course amazing French delicatessen. 5-12 €. edit
- Trattoria Romana, Mihai Viteazu, nr. 6 (Next to the 1st Gate of the Fortress), ☎ 0763616191. The restaurant is placed in a great location, near the Fortress, right next to the First Gate ('Poarta a-Ia a Cetăţii'). The atmosphere is cosy, and the owner - who is also the cook - specialized in Italian dishes. You can get here various seafood plates, grilled fish, great pasta but also international dishes such as stakes of rabbit stew. edit edit
- Gavroche - Cafe. Brasserie., Blvd. 1 Decembrie 1918, no. 105-107, bl. M7-M8, ☎ 0358401203, . 08:00-00:00. Gavroche is a French brasserie located in the heart of the city. It has a varied international cuisine menu starting with apetizers, sandwiches and including pasta, salads, chicken, turkey, duck, pork, fish and beef dishes. This is also the place where you can find the most exquisite desserts in town. The restaurant is very classy, tastefully decorated, with wooden walls and and an imposing bar, also made of wood. The atmosphere that everything inside creates takes you to the Champs Elysees and tha food and drinks make you feel like singing la Marseillaise! edit