Ahmednagar is in Maharashtra state of India. Ahmednagar has 500+ years history traced back to 1490 A.D. You can find traces of Nizamshahi, Shahjahan and Peshwas until the British took over Ahmednagar. If you are visiting Aurangabad/Pune, visit Ahmednagar as well. Ahmednagar is around 120 km from Pune/Aurangabad. It was formerly part of the Hyderabad state (Deccan) before 1956.
Ahmednagar is located in the western central part of Maharashtra, roughly around east of Pune. It's 120km away from Pune & Aurangabad, 280km away from Mumbai and 175km away from Nasik.
Ahmednagar is also served by trains from Pune towards Manmand though there is no direct train from Mumbai.
Walking, bicycling, auto rickshaws (cost money), city buses are your choices.
- Ahmednagar Fort Built by Ahmed Nizam Shah in 1490, this fort is a circular shaped fort, which features 18 metres high walls, supported by 22 bastions. One of the most well-designed and impregnable forts of India, the Ahmednagar Fort is currently under the control of the military command of India. Oval in shape, the Fort s defence system comprises of its 24 citadels and a moat that is 30 metres wide and 4 to 6 metres deep. There are two entrances to the fort, which can be reached only after one goes over the moat, through the suspension drawn bridges.
A victim of countless invasions, the Ahmednagar Fort has taken many blows and come out relatively unscathed. The control over the Ahmednagar Fort had changed hands many times over, starting from the time of Mughal rule. The detailed history of the Ahmednagar Fort reveals that it had been used as a royal prison a number of times. Amongst the most important imprisonments, one that stood out was the time when the entire Congress Working Committee was detained at the Ahmednagar Fort during the Quit India Movement of 1942. Presently, some rooms in the Fort have been converted into a museum. One can see the Leaders room, where Nehru and the other national leaders were imprisoned and where India's first Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, wrote his book, The Discovery of India, while being detained within the confines of the Fort. <P> A must-visit on the itinerary, Ahmednagar Fort will never disappoint its tourists! Frequented by travellers all year round, this is one place you dont want to miss out on!
- Tomb of Salabat Khan II Six miles east of the city, on a hill between 700 and 800 feet above the city level and on the left of the Ahmednagar-Shevgaon road stands the tomb of the Nizamshahi Minister , Salabat Khan II, commonly (and mistakenly) known as Chand Bibi's Mahal. It is an octagonal dome surrounded by a three storeyed veranda. From the summit a fine view can be obtained of the surrounding countryside. Salabat Khan II, the famous minister of the fourth Nizam shah, Murtaza who ascended the throne in 1565. A great statesman, Salabat Khan was appointed minister in 1579, after the half-mad Murtaza put to death his regent, Changiz Khan,in a fit of suspicion and rage. Salabat Khan was respected and loved by the people of Ahmednagar.
- Baugh Rauza Ahmed Nizam Shah,the founder of Ahmednagar ,died in the beginning of the sixteenth century, and was buried half a mile north-west of city. The Bagh Rauza,a fine black stone mausoleum with a domed roof, within which glitter inscriptions of gold from the Koran, enshrines the tomb of this founder and 'faujdar' of Ahmednagar. One of the finest monuments in Ahmednagr, the Baugh Rauza,or the Garden of Shrine, is located just outside the western perimeter of the old city, near the Delhi Gate. The tomb is flanked by two other tombs. A stone monument nearby, is said to be the tomb of Ghulam Ali, a royal elephant who distinguished himself in the battle of Talikot against the Raja of Vijaynagar.in 1565, during the reign of the third Nizam Shah.
- Tank Museum The museum has a rich collection of tanks used during different periods.
- Shani Shinganapur Shani-Shinganapur lies 6 kilometers off Ghodegaon- an important market place along Ahmednagar-Aurangabad road. Ghodegaon is 35 kilometers from Ahmednagar. The village has no doors. No theft ever occurs here, as the Lord Shani, the guardian deity of the village is always there to mete out instant punishment” so claim the residents of Shani-Shinganapur and this claim has become its claim to fame. Unlike other pilgrimage centres, devotees here can perform puja or abhishek or other religious rituals themselves.
- Newasa Greatest Literature in Marathi - Jnyaneswari was written here by Sant Jnyaneshwar'. Newasa Phata On Nagar Aurangabad Road,40 KM From Ahmednagar
- Sanket Farm, Vambori Tal: Rahuri (20 kms from Ahmednagar), ☎ 02426 272455, . 9am to 5PM. A very nice and beautiful place placed in garbhagiri mountain ranges.3 kms frm dongargan. They have developed it in 12 acres and has boating, swimming amusements for children and much more. An awsome picnic destination in a silent nature. edit
- Meherabad, VRDE Road,. Tomb Of Meherbaba,, a very peaceful and good place to visit international pligrim place edit
Eat at local dhabas or on way form Pune at saradwadi - Bhel and Misal, On aurnagabad road... Pandripul Bhel, Biking, Trekking, Camping(?)
- Shree Ghansham Sharma, Savedi,gulmohar road, ☎ +91 9021591972, . If happen Meet PT Ghansham Sharma,, a wll known Astrologer, Vaastu consultatnt,, prior appointment is necessary,, call +91 +9021591972 or +91 9881199007 edit
- S k Nari Fashion (Babulal Dembla), manik chowk (M G road), ☎ 02412321839. ladies fashion, indian, western outfits, exclusive garments,, edit
- Sweet Home, Savedi Road
- Sukh Sagar, Station Road
- Thali at Sanket hotel on Tilak Road
- Mahindra Padewala's Thali at MG road
- Panchashil Hotel at Savedi road - For Nonveg
- Snacks @ Royal hotel with Pudina Chatni is good
- Some good Dhabas on way to nagar .. Nice gavran chicken is served
- MG road - Chowpatti - after 9:00 PM - here you can find some real lassi,
masala doodh (milk)
- Savedi has lot of good resturants - Meghanand, Pancharatna,Panchasheel
- Hotel Thapar's Inn - Near Tarakpur Stand
- a coffee/sandwitch place opposite to Royal @ Zopdi Canteen
- Matki Bhel @ Appu Chaupati
- Dees place in Camp - Bhingar - Jamkhed road - very good Nonveg food...
- Thapars Best Food
Hotel Farhat - On the main road from Ahmednagar towards Aurangabad, this restaurant serves only vegetarian and hygienic food.
- lakhmi Electronics , Babulal dembla, manik chowk (M G Road), ☎ 9420028717. Exclusive dealers for Sony LCD,and a multi brand showroom of electronics products edit
Lassi at Durgasingh... nr by MG road, Rabdi-Basundi @ Bombay Sweets, Hot-Masala-Milk on MG road after 10PM night...
- Rasrang hotel, Tapidas gali , old city. Best misal pav in ahmednagar a must visit place like ahmednagar fort edit
- Hotel Yash Palace, Sukkar Chowk
- Hotel Sanket, Sukkar CHowk
- Hotel Premdan, Premdan Chowk
- Hotel Oberoi, Savedi Road
- Saideep Executive, Savedi Road