The Achterhoek is a region in Gelderland, Netherlands. It is one of, if not the least densely populated area of the Netherlands. You can find lots of nature here.
- Although not an official rule, cyclists expect to have priority in trafic in this part of the Netherlands.
Arnhem is the railway gateway to the Achterhoek. From Arnhem Central Station, Arriva runs a train line through all of the Achterhoek, finishing in Winterswijk.
- Visit the flower parade in Lichtenvoorde or Winterswijk both in September.
- Visit the carnival in Groenlo, but don't expect celebrations like in the Southern Netherlands, it's celebrated smaller and simpler here.
- Cycle or hicke trough forest and fields.
- Visit the lighted boats event in Bredevoort called 'Bredevoort Schitterd' 
- Visit the 'Zwarte Cross', a rock-pop music festival and motor cycle event
- At Eastern go to Paaspop in Ziewent or visit the eastern fires in rural areas